Visiting SA

bluebonnet

Hi there !

Im back in Aus after a 2 week holiday in SA, and boy, i'm glad...

I left SA in Feb 2007, and comparing what I paid for stuff then, and what they pay now, Im really glad I dont live there anymore

I feel very sad for everyone left behind, still earning close to the same salaries now as in Feb 2007. i just know that I would not survive living there NOW on the salary I earned then ... Africa is a tough country ...

a standard home brand box of tissues R 12-99

2liters of Milk R 20-99

a Pick & Pay pie R9-99

my favourite cheap bottle of Brandy, Wellington VO, R84

600g Spur Spare-ribs R 79-99

for us earning dollars its still ok.

Cristel

Living in Switzerland and earning francs, I can tell you SA is still very cheap. But sure NOT for the people living there. On the otherhand the gap is huge in SA, for the rich it is fine, but what about the people living on R2,000 per month (domestic workers for example??) The rich gets richer in SA,,and the poor, poorer. It cannot work. What can be done Mr. Zuma?

I thought so too. But I just did some research and it is mentioned that it is a low risk malaria area. I am not certain if we should take preventive drugs. (do not fancy the idea)

There is no need to take Malaria pills when going to Hluhluwe - and its stunning there, you will absolutely love it..

There is no need to take Malaria pills when going to Hluhluwe - and its stunning there, you will absolutely love it..

Thanks. :rolleyes:

Back to the original topic. We want to visit Hluhluwe Park in KZN,, does anyone know this park? It looks very nice. Leaving from Ballito I guess one has to stay the night and drive back the next day. Or is it possible to do it in one day and drive home at night?

I know it very well. Definitely, definitely worth a visit!!! It’s one of my favourite parks in SA, and very good for viewing all sorts of game. We’ve been there a few times and always come back having seen everything on the menu from Elephant to Rhino to Giraffe, right down to dung beetles doing their thing in the road. Nice terrain as well and it’s always warm.

I wouldn’t recommend driving there and back from Ballito in a day as you’ll need a good few hours to drive through the park itself as well. I’d recommend staying the night and then going back the next day. I reckon it’s one of the best value for money Game Parks in SA (if you’re paying as a local – try not to let them know you’re living abroad, I think they have local rates and foreign rates)

Shout if you have any questions about the area.

PS: I wouldn’t take Malaria drugs. It’s not a high risk area, and I think the potential side effects are not worth the small risk of contracting Malaria. Personally I’d never take Malaria drugs anyway, even in a high risk area. You just need to monitor your health in the weeks after you’ve left.

Edited by HansaPlease

I know it very well. Definitely, definitely worth a visit!!! It’s one of my favourite parks in SA, and very good for viewing all sorts of game. We’ve been there a few times and always come back having seen everything on the menu from Elephant to Rhino to Giraffe, right down to dung beetles doing their thing in the road. Nice terrain as well and it’s always warm.

I wouldn’t recommend driving there and back from Ballito in a day as you’ll need a good few hours to drive through the park itself as well. I’d recommend staying the night and then going back the next day. I reckon it’s one of the best value for money Game Parks in SA (if you’re paying as a local – try not to let them know you’re living abroad, I think they have local rates and foreign rates)

Shout if you have any questions about the area.

PS: I wouldn’t take Malaria drugs. It’s not a high risk area, and I think the potential side effects are not worth the small risk of contracting Malaria. Personally I’d never take Malaria drugs anyway, even in a high risk area. You just need to monitor your health in the weeks after you’ve left.

Thanks again. I cannot wait to go there. Thank goodness we do not have to take Malaria drugs. I hate it. I was born in Zambia and the first 7 years of my life had to take enough of these drugs.

Now I have another question, or shall I say problem. I will leave for SA a couple of days ahead of my daughter, and will meet her at the airport in Durban. She and her friend will arrive in Johannesburg at 10.30 pm, and will have to spend the night close to the Airport and fly to Durban the next day.

So which hotel would be best, as close as possible to the Airport. I am certain the hotel will have a shuttle service, but how safe is this? I am so worried now, she only told me today that they will arrive in Johannesburg this late...It will be silly to rent a car for the night just to drive to the hotel close to the airport. :angry:

Has anyone had this "problem" before. Will appreciate some advice. :cry:

There is a hotel within walking distance of the airport buildings, between the airport buildings and the car park, right at the airport and there are numerous hotels that have shuttles to and from the airport within 5 km's of the airport and they are all relatively safe just be aware and alert and don't flash your cash....it's dangerous if you are stupid... but doesn't that apply anywhere in the world....you sound like an intelegent opperator....

it's no more dangerous than being in the centre of Milan and flashing your money around.....you will be targeted...

be alert, be aware, be alive.....

There are crimanal all around the world, in SA they are extremely oppotunistic and they will pounce on you faster than a pissed off leopard if you show your tender underbelly....

Enjoy

Hilton

There is a hotel within walking distance of the airport buildings, between the airport buildings and the car park, right at the airport and there are numerous hotels that have shuttles to and from the airport within 5 km's of the airport and they are all relatively safe just be aware and alert and don't flash your cash....it's dangerous if you are stupid... but doesn't that apply anywhere in the world....you sound like an intelegent opperator....

it's no more dangerous than being in the centre of Milan and flashing your money around.....you will be targeted...

be alert, be aware, be alive.....

There are crimanal all around the world, in SA they are extremely oppotunistic and they will pounce on you faster than a pissed off leopard if you show your tender underbelly....

Enjoy

Hilton

She will book a room at the Intercontinental at the Airport, this way they do not have to use a shuttle..(sorry I do not trust) R3,200.00 a night,,that is 424 Swiss Francs, :thumbdown: I do not think I have ever spend a night in a hotel that costs this much, well, not in Europe anyway. BUT, this will make me feel better.

There are criminals all around the world I agree, but when it comes to SA, I think this is the place where you have to be on HIGH ALERT all the time, and you do not necessarily have to flash money to be targeted.

Thanks again. I cannot wait to go there. Thank goodness we do not have to take Malaria drugs. I hate it. I was born in Zambia and the first 7 years of my life had to take enough of these drugs.

Now I have another question, or shall I say problem. I will leave for SA a couple of days ahead of my daughter, and will meet her at the airport in Durban. She and her friend will arrive in Johannesburg at 10.30 pm, and will have to spend the night close to the Airport and fly to Durban the next day.

So which hotel would be best, as close as possible to the Airport. I am certain the hotel will have a shuttle service, but how safe is this? I am so worried now, she only told me today that they will arrive in Johannesburg this late...It will be silly to rent a car for the night just to drive to the hotel close to the airport. :thumbdown:

Has anyone had this "problem" before. Will appreciate some advice. :)

I visited SA in december and landed in JHB and had to get to Pretoria for a suprise visit to my family, I used a shuttle company which I found on line and booked it 2 months prior. No problems and first class service, the black guy was waiting at the airport and also advised us not to get our phone packs at the airport as they were more expensive there. He picked us up in a new VW Golf TDI and drove us back very professionally and well spoken, educated and interesting to talk to, he even stopped us at an Engen garage so we could get our phone packs.

So do not worry! JHB airport is not a problem that people make it out to be, you will be suprised when you see this airport - looks better than any airport ive been to in NZ and Australia

I visited SA in december and landed in JHB and had to get to Pretoria for a suprise visit to my family, I used a shuttle company which I found on line and booked it 2 months prior. No problems and first class service, the black guy was waiting at the airport and also advised us not to get our phone packs at the airport as they were more expensive there. He picked us up in a new VW Golf TDI and drove us back very professionally and well spoken, educated and interesting to talk to, he even stopped us at an Engen garage so we could get our phone packs.

So do not worry! JHB airport is not a problem that people make it out to be, you will be suprised when you see this airport - looks better than any airport ive been to in NZ and Australia

Which shuttle company did you use?

Telanie

Sounds good. You have guts. I will not let my daughter take any chances. Love her too much. I know it is a very very small persentage of the population that are criminals, and that the majority are good law abiding citizens,, but I still do not take chances. Me, maybe, but I prefer not with my kids.

I know the airport improved a lot, looks real nice. When I saw it the last time 11 years ago, it was pathetic.

I know the airport improved a lot, looks real nice. When I saw it the last time 11 years ago, it was pathetic.

i was wondering about this - when we flew to Sydney, I was amazed at how big, extremely modern and very beautiful our OR Tambo airport is, then compare Sydney's airport, which reminded me of Jan Smust Airport 20 years ago. Why is that? They are the first world country, we are third world, should think the airports must have been swopped! :ilikeit:

i was wondering about this - when we flew to Sydney, I was amazed at how big, extremely modern and very beautiful our OR Tambo airport is, then compare Sydney's airport, which reminded me of Jan Smust Airport 20 years ago. Why is that? They are the first world country, we are third world, should think the airports must have been swopped! :P

I thought Sydney Airport is not too bad, at least I was not scared on that airport, and will take a shuttle or taxi anytime from the airport to a hotel. Johannesburg is another story. OOOO am I negative. :D

Which shuttle company did you use?

Telanie

"Airportshuttle" - www.airportshuttle.co.za - info@airportshuttle.co.za - you wont be dissapointed. I paid R360.00 from O.R Tambo to Pretoria east - to my door! :P

bluebonnet, I do believe that you are being a bit of a hypochondriac and are trying to paint the very worst possible picture for yourself. But if that makes you happy, carry on.

People here have given you some great advice, so you shouldn't have a drama .

bluebonnet, I do believe that you are being a bit of a hypochondriac and are trying to paint the very worst possible picture for yourself. But if that makes you happy, carry on.

People here have given you some great advice, so you shouldn't have a drama .

I know and thanks to everyone for the good advice, I appreciate it. I said I am negative, did I not? I should stop reading the SA news and especially OR Tambo stories like this:

http://www.int.iol.co.za/index.php?from=rs...55344668C255878

This must have been scary. I still think one cannot be too careful at OR Tambo. I will not take the risk using a shuttle or taxi, rather pay the R3,200 per night at the Intercontinental at the airport. It is just one night anyway.

http://www.news24.com/Content/SouthAfrica/...ourist_hijacked