Water Filters in Adelaide

Tazz

I was wondering if it is really neccessary to have a water filter fitted .

Some people say that the water is pretty hard and is not good for steam irons.

Some people have them fitted, in my expereince primarily for "cleaner" filtered water. Many people do not have it and operate their equipment fine. We use the filtered tap for our iron, but we have personally not tried our iron with normal tap water so cannot say what he effect would be.

Some people have them fitted, in my expereince primarily for "cleaner" filtered water. Many people do not have it and operate their equipment fine. We use the filtered tap for our iron, but we have personally not tried our iron with normal tap water so cannot say what he effect would be.

Thanks Marius.

Off my original question. Marius but about the SA -Net -SA.....are you involved with in it and is it well attended.

Tazz,

No I am not very involved with it. I do however attend their gatherings from time to time and that is fairly well attended, last braai there were about 250 people. There are however far more than 250 South African living in Adeliade. But they are also struggling because they are not a dynamic live site like this so not as lively. They have montlhy gatherings in the Hackney hotel but i have never been so cannot sday how well it is attended. I intend going soon to catch up with them. They also arrange soccer and rugby matches I believe but again because I am not very closely involved I dont know how that goes down. In general I think they do good. In fact today at the braai they arranged I will make an effort to talk to them a bit more about some closer cooperation with this wonderfull dynamic site.

Mark,

you heard right. The tap water in Adelaide is pretty "ordinary", to say the least.

Adelaide gets most of its water supply from the River Murray which is one of the world's great river systems, like the Nile, Mississippi, etc. . . . . . only we are at the mouth and consequently get the down wash that the other States further up-stream leave for us, so it's getting a bit salty by the time we get it and even after filtering, it's not good to taste nor use in itmes like steam irons, hot water heaters, etc. Far better to use rain water, which is "soft" and contains hardly any mineral deposits to "fur up" the steam iron, etc.

I have about 160,000 litres (37,000 gallons) of rain water that I use for personal use, so if you happen to live in a rental that doesn't have a rain water tank for use, you can take a 20 litre keg of my rain water for use in your iron, etc. when you get over.

Just sing out once you're here.

Hi Bob,

Thank you for the offer...I think i will need 20 l for a lovely cold shower after 24 hours of flying.

Jokes aside I have read that in Adelaide there will be water restrictions put in place in January

Indeed, we already have restrictions in place, they will be tighened in January and restrict garden watering to the minimum. Unless we get some serious rain of course ;)

When I check the weather around Australia on the TV, it's interesting to note that nowadays you see a statistic showing how full the dam capacity is for each of Australia's cities.

None of them are full, with most (Sydney, etc) sitting on about 35 to 45% capacity.

When that runs out, people will have to shower with the mineral water you buy in the shops!

Seriously, though, with Australia's cities growing and the climate changing somewhat, there is a fair bit of talk by State governments around Australia to build desalination plants, etc. . . so there is some concern by the politicians about the water supply for the coming few years.

Perth is talking about pumping fresh water from Lake Argyle in the north of Western Australia. The only trouble is the distance . . . 3,000kms!

You've gotta be talking serious to think in terms of a project that big.

Hey Tazz,

We have some water restrictions at the moment, but on January 1st they go to level 3 - sprinklers only once a week for 6 hours max and hand watering on other days, but only after 8pm or before 8 am. At least it's not as bad as in Queensland yet!

I drink the tap water here without problem. It's fine to me and compared to what our water was like in England, t's way better! HOwever, my husband drink only water from the Brita filter. You often find houses here have Purataps installed at the kitchen sink. We have a rainwater tap :blink: .

The water quality seems to vary a lot depending on where in Adelaide you are. At work, I wouldn't touch the water with a barge pole - it's actually white!

Thanks for the info.

It looks like I will have to bring across a water test kit :blink: to check out the water quality...

I just hope that the weather patterns change and that more rain falls.... I know that in Jhb last year it was terribly dry and they were voicing concerns that the storage dams were running low......But then the rains came.....

Hopefully this will be so for Oz