The kids in OZ

Allie en Urs

I would like to share an experience my wife and I have had, visiting a number of McDonald's Play zooz.It relates to the Australia children en how they interact with our daughter (3 years old) Danielle.

Danielle is a very happy, energetic, affectionate and loving child. She is an only child and moving into her 3s is beginning to enjoy the company of other children. It is therefore natural for her to want to play with other children when we visit a McDonalds.

During these visit I have noticed that the Australian children (her age), tend to reject here advances to make friend or join in with them while they are playing. The openly reject here. If this happened 10% of the time, I would me convinced to say, kids will be kids, but is seems to be more the rule then the exception.

Ek sal graag ander se ondervindings en opinies oor die opmerking van my wil hoor.

Allie

It is sad but it does happen. I have found it to happen to my kids as well sometimes but I think it's easier for them cause they have each other (2girls).

But then I have found that with adults too. It's as if they suss you out first...look u up and down, but once they do warm up to you they are great. I found this strange but have learnt to accept that that's just the way it is....if you can't beat them join them.

I found that my eldsest daughter (9) tends to look for the loners who don't make friends easily and takes them under her wing and ends up with quiet a bunch of friends. The middle one (4) just doesn't give a stuff and carries on on her own.

Different topic...what area are you guys in?

Lindy-Lee

:)

Duncraig

Guest Bronwyn

Hi Allie & Urs - when I read your post my heart really went out to you because you sound so down about this :lol: .

As parents my husband & I have been mad about our kids since birth, and we are very wrapped up in them, although they are now 9 & 11, so I know that you love your daughter to bits and you feel very upset when she is hurt or unhappy. If someone says a wrong, unkind or unfair word to our kids we immediately get very upset on their behalf.

What I want to tell you is this: try to relax a little about it. At 3, kids are still learning social skills, and your daughter may be more mature (being an only child she spends a lot of time with adults) than the other kids of her age.

I know a three year old, and she is not able to interact properly with other kids at all. I'm sure it's not an Aussie child thing, but a toddler thing. :blush:

You sound like great parents with a lovely daughter, just be patient with the others, keep encouraging the play, and it will come right. They are just very young at this stage. It doesn't mean anything. :blush: , we just notice it more because we love them and hurt for them. :)

Bronwyn

Dankie vir die opbouende e mail waardeer dit BAIE.[bronwyn] :)

Hi Allie &Urs

Lindy-lee is right. You are not the only ones that have noticed this. My little girl is 6 years old, she also made friends with the kids the same way as Lindy-lee little girl. I found that my little one only has friends that come from other places in the world. She was not invited to any of the Australian kids party, but that is okay there are only 4 of them in her class, the rest of the 20 kids in her class are from other parts of the world. But give it time your little one will fit in.

Hi Allie

Ek weet hoe jy voel en as n ouer bloei jou hart vir jou kinders . Ons is nog nie in Aus nie maar toe ons in Moz land het geen kinders eers in my kinders se rigting gekyk nie . Die taal was veral n groot probleem. Ek dink net soos wat groot mense moet aanpas so moet kinders ook maar hulle eie voete vind . Dit is dalk nou moeilik maar glo my dit sal net beter gaan . My kinders staan nou vir niemand meer terug nie en hulle het baie maats van reg oor die wereld . Gee dit kans en jy sal sien alles sal uitwerk .

Groete

Ekke

WEEREENS voel n mens beter om te hoor ons is nie al mense wat hier deurgaan nie.Dis net jammer dat dit so moet wees .Ons het in Gordensbaai gebly en altyd Somerset mall SE SPEELPLEKKE GEGAAN en daar was nooit sulke gevalle of dinge nie afr.eng ag wit swart Almal het lekker gespeel geen probleme nie :)

Ek probeer nou dink, maar ek kan nie onthou dat Kayla regtig 'verwerp' is deur ander kinders nie. Sy is nou amper 3 en is so uitgehonger vir maatjies. Shame, sy was in 'n skooltjie 3 dae 'n week halfdag en sy mis dit vreeslik. As ons iewers gaan speel, sal sy gewoonlik gouerig maats maak of sommer by haarself speel. Dis altyd moeilik om haar weg te kry. Ek dink in baie gevalle inisieer sy dalk dit saamspeel, maar het al gesien dat kinders haar kom haal om te kom speel. Ek sal tog in die vervolg oplet of dit wel gebeur.

Dit is nogal eienaardig dat daar half 'diskriminasie' geskied op 'n jong ouderdom. Ek weet nie van partytjies van 6 jariges nie, kies kinders self wie hulle daar wil hê of kom dit van die ouers af? Sjoe, dit is baie sleg dat sulke jong kinders nie 'uitlanders' aanvaar nie.

hi Oubossies ons dogtertjie word Des.3 .Sy is n baie spontane kind baie lief vir mense en maatjie veral as dit kom by speel .Sy is baie baie liefdevol en maak baie gou maatjie en ryk gou uit maar hier in Perth kan sy nie durf waag om net bv. n maatjie wil druk of mee uitryk nie hul trek so styf skouers op gesig uitdrukking lelik en beweeg verby haar .Ek kan huil as ek dit moet aanskou my dogtertjie se gesiggie van verbasing en dat sy nie dit ken of verstaan nie is hartverskuerend.URSULA EN ALBERT.

Hi Allie & Urs

Just a thought, we have friends whose grandchildren were around three and six when they arrived, also Afrikaans speaking, and the children did not speak a lot of English. They also found initially that the local children tended to shun them, however, once they started school, their English improved, they were easier to understand, as they very quickly picked up Aussie accents and now they have plenty of Aussie friends. Just went to a birthday party there the other day and the youngster had about 30 kids there of all shapes and sizes and backgrounds, but probably 2/3rds of them were Australian.

I am sure in the long run it will all work out, but I can just imagine that it must be heartbreaking to watch now.

Good luck, I hope it sorts itself out very soon and that she gets a special mate to play with!

Mara

hi Oubossies ons dogtertjie word Des.3 .Sy is n baie spontane kind baie lief vir mense en maatjie veral as dit kom by speel .Sy is baie baie liefdevol en maak baie gou maatjie en ryk gou uit maar hier in Perth kan sy nie durf waag om net bv. n maatjie wil druk of mee uitryk nie hul trek so styf skouers op gesig uitdrukking lelik en beweeg verby haar .Ek kan huil as ek dit moet aanskou my dogtertjie se gesiggie van verbasing en dat sy nie dit ken of verstaan nie is hartverskuerend.URSULA EN ALBERT.

Dit moet erg wees. Ek het al agtergekom dat die Aussies nie so drukkerig (ai, hel, nou kry ek nie die eintlike woord wat ek soek nie) is soos ons in SA nie. Kayla druk ook nie maklik 'n maatjie nie, net haar SA maatjies. Ek is seker dit sal beter raak. Sodra sy in kinder is, sal sy gou maatjies maak. Dis hoekom ek ook vir Kayla al volgende jaar kinder toe wil stuur. Hou my op hoogte oor hoe dit gaan. Ek gaan een of ander tyd volgende jaar vir 'n vriendin in Perth kuier en dalk kan ons by mekaar uitkom. Sy het 'n 4jarige dogtertjie.

Edited by Oubossies

Sal so maak ja .Dankie URS

You're sending me back 20 years to when my kids were at that stage. They used to get knocked back occasionally and my wife would get upset about this kid or that kid not playing well with our son or daughter.

It's not an "Aussie" thing.

We are Australian, my kids being fifth generation on their mother's side!

It's a "kid" thing . . . . and your kids will find mates of their own, in time, that they can play with and get along with.