Beginning Application Process - HELP!

kiffoke

Hi Guys

Just returned from my first visit to Australia (Sydney and Melbourne) and it was love at first site. I'm planning to start the application process as soon as possible, but have a few questions that you guys might be able to assist with.

1. Planning to go in on a 136 visa type with myself as the primary applicant. I've got the 4 years experience as a business analyst. Has anyone gone through the accreditation process with the ACS as with a BCom and BCom Hons in IS? Was it easy? Any tips and tricks? I have checked out the DIMA website and it seems fairly easy, as does the ACS website.

2. Is the 136 the best visa to go in on with my qualifications and experience? I'd prefer the flexibility to be able to work anywhere over a sponsored visa.

3. Migration Agents - I've consulted one so far. Are they worth the AUD 4750 that they charge, or is the process of applying so well documented and understood that one can do it oneself? If not, can anyone recommend other agents that charge less? (From other posts in the forums, I'm not meaning to start a huge debate here!)

4. My wife qualified with a BSc Hons degree in logopedics (Audiology and Speech Pathology) from UCT in 2000 and has been practising as a Audiologist for the last 5 years. What does she need to do to practice in Australia? We have tried to contact the association in Australia but have had no response. Has anyone got any experience or personal recommendations? We have heard that she may need a Masters to work unsupervised, and will also need to pass an exam.

5. Any other general tips or advice?

Thanks very much for you support and assistance.

Kiffoke

Hi Kiffoke,

In regard to whether the 136 visa is the best option for you, it is impossible to advise based on the information provided. Regarding fees for migration agents, check out the Migration Agents Registration Authority website, which lists the average fees charged by MARA-registered agents, at http://www.themara.com.au/Online/Default.asp?DeptID=275.

Based on the qualifications and experience your wife has as an audiologist, she would be able to see private clients, however to provide services to pensioners under the office of Hearing Services Program (which amounts to about 80% of the clients), she will require Government accreditation. To find out more about this, the Audiological Society of Australia is the best place to start. Alternatively you could contact the Australian College of Audiology ACAud at www.acaud.org.

Kind regards,

Fiona Carre

RMA 0638808

Gold Coast, Australia

Hi Fiona

Thanks very much for the assistance. My migration agent is well over the recommended tariffs. Do I have any recourse with MARA? Unfortunately I've already signed a contract with them in my haste to apply for the visa...

Thanks again

Kiffoke

Hi Fiona

Thanks very much for the assistance. My migration agent is well over the recommended tariffs. Do I have any recourse with MARA? Unfortunately I've already signed a contract with them in my haste to apply for the visa...

Thanks again

Kiffoke

Hi Kiffoke,

Sorry to hear that. You could contact MARA for advice, however I don't think there's a lot you can do- it really depends on the terms of your contract. Perhaps have a chat with your agent and see if there is any flexibility there. Sorry I can't be of more help.

Kind regards,

Fiona Carre

RMA 0638808

Gold Coast, Australia