Customs & Immigration

Norm

Hi everyone.

Silly question (or two)...

I'm flying into Sydney via Perth for the first time in December (previously only flown via Dubai or direct). When someone flies into Johannesburg they have to clear customs and immigration and collect their bags before going through to the Domestic terminal if they are catching a connecting domestic flight.

What is the arrangement in Perth?

And do we then land at the Domestic Terminal in Sydney?

Norm

Depends if you're on the same plane right through.

Ordinarily, if the plane terminates at a port of call in Australia, you go thro' Immigration and Customs if staying in Australia.

If your plane is going on to Sydney, they may keep you in the International terminal with other passengers and go thro' Immigration and Customs on terminating in Sydney.

Edited by Bob

Hi Norm,

When we arrived for the first time we came via Perth and then on to Brisbane. We flew with SAA from JHB to Perth, went through immigration and customs and then got our connecting (domestic via Qantas) flight on to Brisbane. :ph34r:

We're flying with an SAA Airbus to Perth & a Qantas Boeing to Sydney...

So I assume we will go through immigration & customs in Terminal 1 and then catch the transfer through to Terminal 2 to catch the flight through to Sydney.

We have 3 hours between landing and take off... Will this be enough?

Norm

Just noticed your second post Norm. Yeah, that is more or less what we did, except the final destination. Three hours should be more than enough. There are buses that transport you between terminals and then you wait. Be warned, Perth isn't the most exciting airport in the world so you might get a bit bored. :ph34r:

I know this is a bit off-topic but still related....

If we fly from Johannesburg to Adelaide, would we be likely to fly direct or not? What is the most popular way to fly to Adelaide (via which city)?

W + R

Johannesburg to Adelaide - It all depends which airline you use.

SAA

They only fly the route between Jhb and Perth, you would clear customs in Perth and then you can fly, either Qantas, Jetstar or Virgin Blue to Adelaide.

QANTAS

They only fly the route between Jhb and Sydney, you would clear customs in Sydney and then you can fly, either Qantas, Jetstar or Virgin Blue to Adelaide.

EMIRATES, SINGAPORE, THAI, etc

They mostly fly into either Melbourne, Sydney or Brisbane, where you would clear customs and then fly on to Adelaide.

I am not aware, at this time, of an airline that actually flies into Adelaide as it's first port of call in Australia.

Hope that helps.

Mara

Qantas and Singapore Airlines both fly direct Singapore - Adelaide.

Other airlines, such as Garuda Indonesia, flight directly into Adelaide also from overseas.

If flying via Singapore and changing planes there for an ongoing flight to Adelaide, you will land at the International terminal in Adelaide.

I flew in July on the same Qantas plane all the way from Heathrow to Australia with a short stop-over in Singers. It landed at Melbourne whereupon I went thro' Immigration & Customs in Melbourne before switching to the domestic terminal and boarding a Qantas domestic flight to Adelaide.

I wish now I had switched flights in Singapore and boarded another Qantas flight direct to Adelaide.

It would have meant waiting in Singers for a while, but I had to stuff around anyhow in Melbourne, waiting for a domestic flight to Adelaide.

Six of one, half a dozen of the other!

Thanks Mara and Bob,

I understand better now. When the time comes we'll have a look at what options are available and the cost.

Regards

Werner

My mom is flying Cape Town - Singapore - Adelaide tomorrow :ilikeit: . Interestingly enough, you can also fly via Hong Kong with Cathay Pacific, or via KL with Air Malaysia ...

Well there you go, now this old dog has learnt something new as well. I can now file that in my head filing cabinet of information to be shared.

Thank you Bob, thank you Annette.

Will teach me a lesson, I should have looked it up before I posted, but nah, why would they fly into Adelaide? Show you how wrong a person can be. I have learnt my lesson folks....hurrah for Adelaide! (Must say, thought it a beautiful city on my one and only visit!)

Mara