Can someone teach me how to create my own website or blog?

VivaOZ

Hi

I know it can be done I just do not know how. I want to create a site where family and friends can go to look at photos and read about our lives in Oz. Where do I start and how do I start? I want to someting like polly did on her site. Any advise would be welcome.

Wilma

I would think the easiest for you are wanting to do will be BLOGGING

Polly on the forum has a lovely blog going....have a look at hers and see if that is what you are wanting to do. I think the blog address is in her signature.

Thanks Jordy

That is what I have in mind, like polly did. Just somewhere where the people in SA can go and read and see what our new lives are like and how much the girls have grown. I think I will go to that blogger.com and see what it is all about and how I can get started.

Hi

The website I use is free. You can go to my blog and from there create your own.

The link: http://whiteforgephotos.blogspot.com/

Look in the right top corner for Create Blog Click on it.

or you can just go to Blogger's homepage: https://www.blogger.com/start There is a video tutorial on the site as well.

Now you need an email address (I would suggest you use a gmail one. You can then log in using that email address in future.)

Type in a password of your choice.

Choose a display name. This is the name that appears at the bottom of each post you make on your blog. You can use your real name or a nickname.

Now on the next page you create a name for your blog (what appears at the top and in the path).

Just follow the instructions step by step and you should be fine.

\**********************************************************/

Once you have set up the blog, it is easy to post new entries. You can just log in and then click on New Post. You can then type your entry and add pictures. I load pictures onto Photobucket and then link them, but you can upload them directly from your computer.

If you make a mistake with your post, you can easily just edit it again.

If you have any questions, just ask. I will try to help.

PS I have recently started writing and editing my blog with Windows Live Writer. It makes it a little easier to do the layout. http://windowslivewriter.spaces.live.com/d...mp;sa=696394839

Hi

The website I use is free. You can go to my blog and from there create your own.

The link: http://whiteforgephotos.blogspot.com/

Look in the right top corner for Create Blog Click on it.

or you can just go to Blogger's homepage: https://www.blogger.com/start There is a video tutorial on the site as well.

Now you need an email address (I would suggest you use a gmail one. You can then log in using that email address in future.)

Type in a password of your choice.

Choose a display name. This is the name that appears at the bottom of each post you make on your blog. You can use your real name or a nickname.

Now on the next page you create a name for your blog (what appears at the top and in the path).

Just follow the instructions step by step and you should be fine.

\**********************************************************/

Once you have set up the blog, it is easy to post new entries. You can just log in and then click on New Post. You can then type your entry and add pictures. I load pictures onto Photobucket and then link them, but you can upload them directly from your computer.

If you make a mistake with your post, you can easily just edit it again.

If you have any questions, just ask. I will try to help.

PS I have recently started writing and editing my blog with Windows Live Writer. It makes it a little easier to do the layout. http://windowslivewriter.spaces.live.com/d...mp;sa=696394839

Thank you so much polly. I am busy with it as we speak. I know how to play games on a pc and how to mug around on the internet and how to post on the forum, so let's see if I can master the art of "blogging" :) Will let you guy know how it is going in a couple of days time when I managed to find all my pictures on the computer.

I use typepad you can see my blog here - http://candicemyersdesigns.typepad.com/shapedbygrace/ So if you go to www.typepad.com, you can start a blog there. All these sites host the blogs, some free and some cost a little bit a month but offer extra features. You can also add things to your blogs like music, counters etc. Enjoy creating...

Candice

Thanks for all the advise.

Goodnews: I managed to make my very own blog at blogspot and even managed to upload some photos with out too much trouble.

Bad news: I am working on a laptop that cost us about R15000 in SA (top range Dell), with Windows Vista. I have put every single photo on here since we arrived in August 2007, school photos, family photos, video clips, everything!!. Today I read polly's post (not blaming polly in anyway, it was my own fault) and decided to look into that windows live writer thingy and sommer started to download it before reading properly. After download I was instructed (by a very clever ^&(*^$$ laptop) to restart wich I did because it told me there was some new updates that needed to be installed. When it started up again, first I noticed a really fancy new look, new font, new colours, new everything!!! Then a little voice said to go check on my treasure, my photos and what do you know - the folder was empty!!!!! My e-mails were gone, I have no e-mail contacts, no documents, no nothing everything was gone!!!!

I just started sobbing, you can get new e-mails and new documents ect, but photos you just can not replace. Then I remembered that I made a backup throught norton antivirus and went to retrieve that. Now I got my photos back but the rest is gone.

I still do not know what happened. But I have learnt my lesson, from now on I will make those backup things once a month and I will never ever leave my photos on a computer every again. I will make cd copies straigt away.

See, I told you guys that I am no good at computers, I made one hell of a mess today. But yes my blog is getting there and I will share it with you as soon as I managed to get my laptop back to normal again.

By the way, computer genuises, is a backup suppose to take almost 7-8 hours?

ahhhhh nooooooo!!!! The same thing happened to us our entire harddrive crashed and we lost EVERYTHING!!, BUT we managed to recover 99.9% of it all using a program called recover my files it cost $100 at JB Hi Fi. Otherwise PM me and I can mail it too you... it did take 3 days to recover them though...but i did have 4000 photo's all taken at very hi resolution

Oh no! It must still be there somewhere. I am sure you will be able to recover it with recovery software. Just don't create too many files. I am so sorry that your stuff got lost.

About backup time... unfortunately I think it could take that long :ilikeit:

About the photos... well... uhm... would you be shocked if I told you I took almost 2000 photos in the week I first got my camera? A trip like on Puffing Billy was over 500? And the new camera makes bigger files. So we are urgently having to buy another hard drive and a spare portable hard drive. My photos don't backup to dvd anymore... there's too many

Hi

This thing is serouisly playing with my mind. I started it up this morning and what do you know .........

everything is back to like it was and also all my files and my documents and e-mail contacts everything is back. Even my desktop looks the same. Now I am even more confused how this happened but I got that windows live writer on.

At least I learnt a valuable lesson and got 5 cd's (4 of 4.7 gig dvd rw's) as back up. Will just have to see if everything is on there.

Never will I think I am save without doing backups. :blush:

Thanks again for all the advise. Really helped me.

Wilma

ROFLOL!

Typical. Well, this morning I got a beautiful blue screen of death. Guess I better backup again. Don't know where though. Running out of space: 43 GB worth of photos - 21 000 files

I am starting to wonder if I take too many photos... :blush:

ROFLOL!

Typical. Well, this morning I got a beautiful blue screen of death. Guess I better backup again. Don't know where though. Running out of space: 43 GB worth of photos - 21 000 files

I am starting to wonder if I take too many photos... :blush:

[/quote

Polly

I saw on e-bay that you can get a 1000gig hard drive (1 tera byte) for anything from a $150 to $400 wich is really cheap if you think about the space you have. It looks like a usb portable one so you can just use it for all your pictures.

Thanks :blush:MSY has some cheap ones too. I am going to pop in next week after hubby has been paid :ilikeit: I am still a bit nervous about buying on eBay, especially electronics.