Adelaide Private schools

Poeksie

I was wondering about the school fees in a private school? Are private schools much more expensive than the state schools? Is it really worth it to put your child in a private school. Can anyone give me an idea of what the school fees in a private school are, and also what the school fees in a State school are? Is there a difference in the school fees if you have PR?

Can anyone suggest a decent private school?

We will be totally new in Adelaide, with no preference into. Where we want to stay as we don’t have an idea of what the neighbourhoods are alike. Any suggestions will surely help me allot, even if you just share your personal views and give me an idea of your neighbourhood and the school your children attend

Edited by Poeksie

Hi Poeksie

Private schools are much more expensive than state schools, but the fees vary hugely across the board. You need to give us more to go on. Are you looking for a boys' or girls' school or co-ed? Primary or high school? Any particular denomination (they're almost all church schools)? How far would you like to drive to school every day? It so depends on where you will be living. Adelaide is fairly big. Also, is your child (ren?) academically inclined, sporty, more practical, musical?

Primary schools - State about $300 p/a Private $1200 - $12000

High Schools - State $600 p/a Private $2000 - 18000

I'm not going to make any suggestions until I know more about what you prefer. There are at least a dozen extremely decent private schools in Adelaide and many more half decent ones. It all depends on where you end up living and how much you can afford.

State schools you pay the same regardless of visa. Private it's up to the school. Some charge more for temp residents as they are classed as International students.

Primary school I would say if you are in a good area go for the local school. High school there are only a few I would send my kids to State school wise. My kids have been to both state and private school. Private ended up being the vastly better choice for my son (thus far) whereas my daughter did fine in state school.

Study the following website:

http://www.ais.sa.edu.au/html/choosing_ind_school.asp

Good luck

Edited by Annette

Hi

We live in the North-East and our kids go to Torrens Valley Christian School (1227 Grand Junction Rd, Hope Valley, SA). It is a non-denomination school.

The school has high standards and run from reception to year 12. Not a very big school numbers wise (compared to others) but big enough to be good.

My kids is in reception and year 1 and the fees is $6000 for the year (if memory serve my right) but not more that that. The fees go up as the kids advance.

Hope it help

Jaco

I think $6000 will be a bit high for our budget. What about state schools? Are there no decent sate schools in Adelaide? And private schools, is the average school fees around $6000?

Our daughter goes to a state primary school. We paid $170.00 for the year.

I am happy, and most importantly she is happy.

I think $6000 will be a bit high for our budget. What about state schools? Are there no decent sate schools in Adelaide? And private schools, is the average school fees around $6000?

There are quite a number of reasonably good public shools in Adelaide, it all depends on where (area/suburb) you decide (or can afford) to settle/live.

Enjoy!

Manny

There are quite a few reasonably good public schools in Adelaide, it all depends on where (area/suburb) you choose to (can afford to) settle/live.

Enjoy!

Manny

Athelstone Primary - $400 per year (state school) about 500 kids. My experience - brilliant school, loving, nuturing environment, full of energy and fun.

Charles Campbell Secondary School - $600 per year (state school) over 1000 kids. My experience - mixed feelings about this one, brilliant for one of my kids and not so good for the other.

Hi Poeksie,

Sorry I cannot be much of a help with private school fees, I'm in the State system myself. However, Annette's link should help you a lot.

Here's a general rule of thumb for researching "good" public schools in South Australia;

Get onto a public school's website and look at it's general profile. See if you can spot it "Disadvantage Index" This index place a school in a type of category ranging from 1 - 7. Indexes 1 - 3 more or less are challenged schools with a range of issues, e.g. low income parents, unemployment etc. Indexes 4 - 7 are schools with less socio -demographic issues, e.g. higher income families, professional classes of parents etc.

Hoe this helped,

Dax

Anyone know about state schools in South Adelaide such as East Reynella Primary and High, Woodcroft Primary - would like to know which are the good schools in that area.

Thanks

Terry

Woodcroft and Reynella Primary Schools are very good, I don't know about the High School, though.

The two primary schools' disadvantage index should be about 4 - 6, which is indicative of "good" schools.

Hope this helped

Dax