aniena: Hi almal

aniena

Hi julle

Ek weet nie of dit al te laat is om ons huisgesin voor te stel nie. Ons het al 'n paar mense by die koffie klub ontmoet en ek het al 'n paar vrae gevra, maar vir al die ander....

Ons is 'n huisgesin van vier, wat so gou as moontlik wil oorgaan (net soos almal hier glo ek). My dogter se omtrent elke tweede dag vir my ons moet asb. so gou moontlik oorgaan.

Ons het 'n dogter van 12 en 'n seun 10, wat ek tans tuisskool. Ons dink daaraan om hulle begin volgende jaar in die skool te sit, sodat as ons auz toe gaan dit nie soveel aanpassings op een slag is nie. Al wat my bekommer is dat dit dalk twee keer se skoolklere koop en twee keer se aanpassing by 'n skool vir hulle gaan beteken. Verder is pa in It, en moet hy nog 'n "tesis"skryf vir sy skills assessment, wat ons die vakansie gaan aanpak. Alles gaan vir my te stadig. Wat my baie bekommer is dat my dogter wat 12 is maar regtig baie volwasse is vir haar ouderdom, eder 'n veertien jarige in 'n 12 jarige se lyf, tipies tiener, later gaan sukkel in auz, as ons te lank wag.

Ek het spraakterapie en oudiologie geswot, en in totaliteit omtrent 4 jaar 'n privaat praktyk gehad, maar nou tuisskool ek my kinders vir die afgelope 5 jaar, so MODL gaan nie werk vir ons nie.

Groete

Aniena

Guest Bronwyn

Hi Aniena - Where do you want to move to in Australia?

We are also in Pretoria (in Lynnwood) and my kids are a very similar age. I have a boy of 9 and a girl of 11 (going on 15 :ilikeit: ). I hear you about the kids being very mature. It is a bit of a worry. We weren't like them at that age, that's for sure.

The only solution I can offer you about the school uniforms, is this: Go to the school uniform shop and buy secondhand uniforms. For example my daughter's dresses cost about R275 each at the retailer's, and they are about R60 each at the school uniform shop. The other plus is that the kids won't have to start in a brand new shiny uniform, but one that already has a bit of 'houding'. :stretcher: This means a lot to a teenage girl, and the boys couldn't care less. My son's uniform is available at Woolworths.

The adjustment could be difficult. If they have always been home-schooled, I would make a special effort to meet the school principal and teachers, and make sure they get a lot of help fitting in.

If you are going to be in S. Africa for another year or so it is probably worth it. Most schools have a phsycologist affiliated to the school. You can probably phone the principal of the school you want them to go to, and get an appointment to have them assessed by the phsycologist, but at the end of the day it's your decision.

All the best with your decisions ahead, Bronwyn

HI Bronwyn

We are in Atterbury Pretoria. And we don't now where we want to go to. At first we wanted to go to Adelaide but then we heard it's quite dry. So we are going through the whole proses again of asking, searching and most probably a LSD trip (I don't know when that will be). Another thing to consider - my brother in law and his family want to go too, and we would like to go together (to the same city).

As for the kids - ek probeer net brieke aandraai- maar nee ...... :blush:

Thanks for all the advise. Hubby and I will talk and decide, but we also feel that the kids need to go to school next year, especially my 12 (15 yr ) old daughter.

Aniena (I'm practising my English so long for the IELTS test) :blush:

Guest Bronwyn

I basically live in Atterbury Rd, so we are neighbours!

I was also worried that Adelaide would be dry because I love nothing better than rain. I looked up the stats etc. and really thought about it a lot, and I decided it's not enough to put me off the place. There are too many positives.

It is not like a desert or anything, there are rivers, and you are next to the sea. We were there in December last year, and everything was green. It's just that they have to be very carefull about water consumption and there are often water restrictions. We are used to that in South africa anyway.

We have also been state-sponsored by S. Australia. I've been to Perth, Sydney, Canberra & Melbourne as well as Adelaide, and we chose Adelaide over the other states. You'll find there is a lot of friendly competition on the forum about where to live.

All the best!

Bronwyn

Hi Bronwyn

Maybe we should meet at a coffee shop and have a peace of chocolate cake sometime. I would really like to hear how you experienced all the different states and cities. :blush:

In which school are your children and are they happy there?

Regards

Aniena

Adelaide is a great "large country town"to live in and far more relaxed that the rest and also much cheaper. Yes a bit dry and hot in summer, but generally nice and wet in winter, except the last winter where we had little rain :):ph34r: There are stunning beaches and other attractions. :hug:

Guest Bronwyn

Aniena I wish we had more time for a piece of cake, but tomorrow is our last day in PTA! We will have to have some cyber-cake. :)

I can only tell you that from personal experience, I found I had to focus only on ONE area af Australia. It is not possible to look seriously at houses, jobs, schools, etc all over, it's just too big & overwhelming.

Once you have picked an area the process becomes much more simple, and you can concentrate on suburbs, jobs, etc in just that area.

Our kids are at Waterkloof but tomorrow is the last day of term. It's been a good school, but they have had a few resignations of senior teachers recently. Lynnwood Ridge also comes well recommended from what I hear. My mom's best friend is a senior teacher there, shout if I can help in any way.

All the best with your decision process, it will all be sorted out with time.

Regards, Bronwyn

Hi Bronwyn

(Ek skryf maar die een in afrikaans, ek kan beter emosie so oor dra.) Ek hoop dit gaan soooo goed met julle oorganery en dat julle werklik vinnig sal inpas en aanpas. Baie dankie vir al jou raad ens. ek waardeer dit baie en ek hoop ons sal nog baie kan "praat" op die forum. Laat ons maar weet hoe dit gaan en as ons van die kant af iets vir julle kan doen. skree net :lol:

Ek glo ons goed sal wel uitsorteer - een tree op 'n slag.

Sterkte :ilikeit:

Aniena