Bringing leather furniture/lounge suites to Australia

Gee

Hi all,

This may seem like a really strange question..

When my family and I visited Australia to validate our visa's last December we were told and picked up that the Australian Customs Service are strict and tough on certain leather products that are brought into the country via migrants.

Someone we spoke to that migrated from South Africa mentioned that one must be careful when bringing leather furniture/lounge suites in your container as these could be separated from your load for further scrutiny due to the type of leather , if it was treated correctly etc etc

We have a really good quality leather lounge suite, made form top quality leather and would be quite dissapointed if we had to leave it behind

Is this true or nonsense?

Anyone with some input/advise here

appreciated

Gee

Edited by Gee

Hi Gee,

Don't know for sure if it is nonsense, but even if they do have a problem with it at best they'd pull it aside to treat it, at your expense though.

If it is decent leather and does not look really rough and untreated, I'm sure it would be fine. We were also quite cautious about what we brought in, maybe too cautious. I for instance brought a "riempies bank" in with no issues. They however pulled an oldish side board to the one side to get fumigated. It cost us a bit but I'm glad we brought it in.

Just steer away from the very obvious stuff, I'd say!

C'BUG

Guest Bronwyn

Gee we have had 2 quotes at our house from Magna. We have those leather ottomans, quite newish, and also riempie stools and they told us there is no problem with either of those things.

Hope there is no hold up - we are packing the container on Wednesday 29th Nov.

Bronwyn

Hi Bronwyn and Chatterbug

Thanks for your sound advice here

As you say Bronwyn- we will confirm this with our movers

also - all the best with your packing up next week. We will be doing the same next year.

A safe trip to you and your family into a wonderful and enriching Australia

Gee

Hi Bronwyn

Wow, deja vu! Our stuff was packed up by Magna, on the 29th November as well, but in 1993. Just had to tell you that. We found them to be excellent. Our container was very well packed, it arrived in NZ in one piece and no breakages. I must say though that my husband and I packed our own boxes. Our insurance that we took, was for the loss of a whole box, not for breakages, as they did not pack it.

Good luck, and may everything go well for you!

Mara

Hi Gee and Bronwyn

We brought in 2 leather couches and lots of antique yellowwood furniture (not varnished and it was not fumigated or anything) and the whole 40ft container passed customs. We used Pickfords from Cape Town - nothing was stolen or broken - we had superb service from them.

Stephanie

Edited by steph

Ginnie, my wife, bought a chintz cloth covered three piece lounge suite about five or six years ago and it's already showing signs of wear and tear.

I checked out the furniture stores . . . . we have three in the country town I live in . . . . and leather three piece suites start at about $2,200 ranging to $6,000+ for a really good one (that makes you a cuppa coffee with milk and two sugars while watching TV!)

I'd seriously be thinking twice about leaving a leather lounge suite behind.

They last for years . . . much longer than cloth. . . . and at the end of the day, are probably better value for the years of service you get out them.

Hi there Bob,

This is just the answer I need re our leather lounge suite and bringing it with us..

so much so in fact , that I am going to consider upgrading ours as we've had the current one for quite a few years.

Per your post, the Ozzie prices re leather furniture is astronomical...for the equivalent price of +- ZAR 10 000 one can get a superb suite with good leather in SA....

mmm....decisions decisions....what colour should we go for ...black, ox blood or a dark brown...

cheers

Gee

Edited by Gee

We brough our leather sofa, plus a fair bit of yellow wood and imbuia furniture. No problems at all. All goods are inspected and held in quarantine anyway, so it's not going to significantly speed anything up to not bring anything "risky" at all.