"Your child should not attend school"

Jeanne

In the light of the swine flu so-called pandemic, I received a letter from my daughters school that if my child has any of the following symptoms they should not attend school:

1. Cough

2. Runny nose

3. Fever

And if they, or anyone living with them, recently visited the following countries, they should remain at home for a period of 7 days as a precaution.

Mexico

The United States

Canada

Japan

Panama

My eldest daughter has a cough and she is thrilled to be allowed to stay at home!!

Did anyone else get a similar letter?

I got a letter this week too! We're in Perth and my son is pretending to sniff and cough already!

Lindy

Yip - same letter and we have all had flu for the past two weeks (oink!)

We actually had a good giggle, 3 kids, 3 letters!

We laughed, imagining how long it would take back in South Africa for anything to be done, never mind being pro-active and having it all in place 'in case'.

My kids would also be more than happy to miss some school....

Yeah we also got a letter but said we the children have flu like symptons then keep them at home. My boys are both coughing but they are going to school, I know its not swine flu, if they were miserable and really sick I would keep them home.

S

It will be interesting to see if the swine flu is really as bad as they make it out to be. Coming to mind is George Bushes statement that "2 million Americans are likely die of bird flu" Remember that? The world wide death toll was about 270 if I am not mistaken.

Edit: I checked the WHO stats for human deaths as a result of bird flu, 262 deaths worldwide between 2003 and 2009. Some pandemic! I hope the swine flu pandemic panic turns out to be one big "false alarm".

Edited by Jeanne

I got a letter this week too! We're in Perth and my son is pretending to sniff and cough already!

Lindy

Hi Lindy

LOL, yeah, same here! Both my kids started the whole sniff, cough thing. They stopped when they

remembered that monday is a holiday!!

No doubt it will start up tomorrow again!!

EricaC

Yup.

My school is on alert for a shut down if we have a confirmed case.

2 schools in Cairns have closed....

Hi Lindy

LOL, yeah, same here! Both my kids started the whole sniff, cough thing. They stopped when they

remembered that monday is a holiday!!

No doubt it will start up tomorrow again!!

EricaC

LOL! Nothing a bit of castor oil won't 'cure.' :lol: :lol: :lol:

I got the letter too.....I am in Brisbane....seems to be a national thing....

We arrived back from California yesterday and received a phone call this morning from the Headmaster at school welcoming us back and advising that my 2 children do not attend school for the next week....

While we were in the US, there was hardly any mention of the H1N1 virus. We have no symptoms (were checked twice yest) however, dont want to tempt fate and become public enemy number one, so I am following the rules. It is a bit of a problem when you are working and have no support structure. My kids on the otherhand, think it's fantastic!

Janis

Janis, if you really have a problem with the kids, let me know, I can maybe help out for a day or two. I don't know how far you live from us. We are in Balwyn North.

Janis, if you really have a problem with the kids, let me know, I can maybe help out for a day or two. I don't know how far you live from us. We are in Balwyn North.

Polly, you really are very sweet, thanks for the offer! Been told not to come back to work for 4-5 days, so problem solved! Wondering if I will be paid for this "sick leave"!

Thanks again!

Enjoy the long holiday :ilikeit: Apparently Monday is also a holiday ;) You really scored! Lucky bum. Would have been nice ot have hubby home for a week, though having the kids home too might not be so much fun... :unsure: