A place at a school?

HouseInOz

Hi there Forumites!

I want to know how does one secure a place for your children at a primary school in Sydney. What is generally required in terms of Visa's etc. or can you do it before you have the visa? Do one do it before you have visited the school? How much do you have to pay (debentures) to secure a place?

Your feedback will be highly appreciated!

Most schools (government) are zoned, so you cannot secure a place for your kids unless you have proof of where you live. So you cannot secure a place before you arrive. BAsically you decide which school you want your kids to attend, then rent in that zone.

Private schools are not zoned. I do not however know about securing a place in one of those schools.

For private schools, you just visit their website and send them an email or phone. THey will ask you for a non-refundable deposit and then they waitlist your child. This can be quite an expensive excercise as people here waitlist their children at lots of private schools to ensure a place for the following year.

Forgot to add, some of the schools charge around $30 for waitlisting, while some of the more exclusive ones can charge up to $100 (like Reddam). We decided to go public in the end because some of the public schools have just as good reputations as the private ones - especially primary schools.

Hi

Some public schools will take out of area kids and others will not. St Ives Primary, Bush School, Pymble Public I know are full and won't take out of area children, but Eleanora Heights for example will. Independant Schools don't have specific areas but I would suggest putting your name down as some years will be full and then they can waitlist you and if there is enough children on the waitlist they make an additional class.

Private Schools used to be difficult to get into but with the economic crisis they have lost alot of children so they probably will accept anyone. If you are on a 457 you have to pay your $4500 upfront and then you can be enrolled at a public school. Independant schools have never questioned which visa class because everyone pays the same.

Hope this helps.

s

Public schools we contacted were really strict about zoning, the one even told us we were one street out of their zone !

We are on a 457 and Education Department wanted the $4500 (x 2 kids) upfront BEFORE they would authorise the enrolment into a Public School . we decided to put them into a Catholic school , even though we arent catholic. We were out of the zone but got accepted immediatley. The fees are half the price of what we would have paid for public schooling, and they are a little bit stricter - which I like !

We have been really happy with our decision.

good luck