Struggling to find a rental Gold Coast

Goldie

Well Hubby started new job over a week ago and has had to be ducking and diving in and out of the workshop to go and view houses. The kids and I are still in Coffs Harbour. Seems none of the agents want to work past 4:30pm or on weekends :ph34r: He's put in applications on a few and we've already heard we've were declined on one (actually the one we really wanted). The one he applied for yesterday, had a whole lot of back and forth with the agent and landlord. He wanted more info ie why is there no driver's licence (we've been here 15 months but been on our SA licence for the 457, now have the 3 months, but try and explain that to someone who has no idea of the immigration rules). Wanted details on all other family members who would be in the house etc etc. The joke of it is that we have 2 good references from Aussie rentals, so can't see what the problem is. This landlord is apparently desperate to get someone in ASAP and has even dropped the rent by $10 a week, yet is making us feel like criminals.

Been looking around the $400 mark and really didn't want to go higher, but seems we may have to. This is so frustrating. I think I may have to take the kids out of school for a few days and go up myself. Might be easier if I spend 2 days just viewing and applying. There doesn't seem to be a shortage of properties, so can't understand why we haven't secured anything yet. Hell knows what hubby is putting on the applications........half dyslexic tradesman......lol.

Anyone who knows of anyone or sees anything private in the papers, please shout.

Thanks

Candice

Shame Candice, what a bummer.

It is normal for them to ask the details of anyone and everyone living in the house. They even wanted to know how many cars and their registration numbers on our application.

Good luck, you will find something, better than you thought you wanted!

I think we just got really lucky with our past 2 rentals. In Lismore the first application we put in was accepted over about 30 other applications (it was return to UNI time) because the landlord saw the company letterhead and knew Carl's boss. Then the house here in Coffs was a private rental that had been in the paper for weeks. We thought there must have been something wrong with it, but walked in, loved it and they told us there and then it was ours. Said they had been looking for a family. I think the problem is that I don't have access to a fax machine at the mo, so Carl is applying on his name only. Apparently if he puts any of my details or submits any of my documents I have to sign the forms (privacy something or other). My scanner/printer is playing up too. Works when it feels like it.

Dont give up hope, it just takes a little while here and they have a different system. We thought the amount of forms and ID were laughable but I suppose if it was my house I would want to know the people are solid and will look after it for me. They even wanted birth certificates from us, something I had never come across. We actually put a cover letter on the huge file of info, saying how we are new in Aus (first rental) and have owned our own houses for years, that we are also land lords ourselves and love their house and will look after it like our own, also that we are considering renting theirs for 2 years before we buy our own. Anyway, all that sucking up somehow did the trick. I have British friends here that say they think the only reason they got their rental is that they dressed up smart, suit and tie and dress, and made a point of going over to the agent and introducing themselves with a handshake. Over here in Sydney a viewing is only 15min with all interested parties at the same time. So the competition is fierce and you somehow have to stand out. Good luck, I would probably take the kids out of school for Thurs/Fri and go up myself if I was you. B)

Hi Candice

I'm on the Gold Coast in Marrimac. We live in a complex it's lovely and quiet and down the road from Primary school. High School not far away. We have a unit available in the complex. Newly built and very nice Managers. The only problem the rent is approx $440 per week. But unfortunately it's hard getting something nice and decent on the Gold Coast you "get what you paid for"! It's lovely and our kids play together there is also a pool and tennis courts. Merrimac is 10mins from the coast and 10 mins to the mountains. Lots of shopping centres in the vacinity, doctors etc. Can help out with a few more details if you need.

All the best

Zaffergirl

Thanks guys. Pleased to say Hubby just phoned to say we got the one that was doing the interogations on us.....lol. We move next weekend. EEEEKKKKK best I get packing. House is in Upper Coomera and rental less than our max of $400. Carl is happy with it and I've seen the pics on the site.

Gold Coast here we come.

Candice

Congratulations on the rental and PR! I missed the post where you got it. Well done, I am green with envy, after a four week wait and calls to the medical people and assurances that nothing more would be required we got a letter in the post yesterday to take my daughter to an educational psychologist for a report because she is now at school going age. More time delays, my application is prepared and ready to go. Anyway, I need to find ed psych book her in and get the report done, I am being taught pateince not learning it to well. I may need to book myself in for a session at the same time, perhaps I can get a two in one deal Mom and daughter see same shrink.

Anyway great news for you well done and enjoy Sydney.

Susan

Hi Candice,

That is excellent news, everything is coming together nicely, now get off the forum and go get packed. <_<

Jill

Edited for spelling, such a little sentence and I still made an error.

Edited by Jill

Ha ha....can't face another box today. Hubby on his way down for the weekend, so he can do some. Love the way the men shove off and leave us with all the hard work. Ok, ok, I know, he's found us a house, I should be grateful.

Another thing that is interesting, that we discovered today. We have had a problem trying to get a credit card. Applied numerous times and been declined. Very frustrating. We even tried again after getting PR and had my income whereas before we had only the one. Turns out that there was a hitch with our house application, cause the records for the agency in Lismore say we were a few weeks in arrears at one stage. Let alone that we have a reference from them to say that we paid on time etc etc. What actually happened was the snot nosed little agent there (he really was totally incompetant) FORGOT to put in our debit order forms. When the rent was due to go off (a Thursday) and didn't I went in to query and he said not to worry, it would go off. The next week it still hadn't gone off so went in again. Turns out there was the form on his desk. It took another week to get the order up and running and I had to go in and pay cash for 3 weeks. I am so angry about this, cause this could be reflecting on our credit rating. GRRRRRRRR :lol:

Candice