Compatability of televisions?

Lee

Hi!

One of the removal companies has told us that generally t.v.'s bought in SA are unable to work in Aus as they use PAL colour, System B in Aus :whome:

Can anybody shed any light on this?

Thanks again!! :ilikeit:

Lee

As far as I know some do and some don't. Having said this though, if you bring your TV and it does not want to work, then just buy a cheap video recorder (AU$60-70) and play your TV through that, works everytime.

Hi!

One of the removal companies has told us that generally t.v.'s bought in SA are unable to work in Aus as they use PAL colour, System B in Aus :whome:

Can anybody shed any light on this?

Thanks again!! :ilikeit:

Lee

The 'PAL' refers to the colour system and the 'B' (actually BG) refers to the sound system. In South Africa broadcasts are made in PAL i. Most of the more recent TVs can be set to different formats (most TVs sold in RSA are what is termed multi-system by the manufacturers, meaning these settings can be changed in the TV menu, and most of these support PAL (I, BG, DK and M), Secam and Mesecam). I bought my first multi-system TV as long ago as 1997, and it was not a high end model. In addition many VCRs can play back NTSC recordings although it cannot record to NTSC (the USA standard). I suggest you investigate your TV menu a bit and check out the possible options. On the PAL BG setting (in RSA) you will still be able to follow whatever you are watching with a slight background noise. In Australia then the inverse should be true. I am not actually in Aus so I'm taking your moving company's word for the 'B' part of the equation.

jaco

Edited by JacoE

Bring your telly.

Most TVs today are made for the international market and when you work thro' all the options on your remote control, you'll see 101 different variations that apply.

Just scroll thro' the colour options to see which is best for Australia.

Likewise with sound options.

I would bet you London to a brick that it will work for you here in Australia.