Prescription Medication

Lee

Hi all!

I know there have been prior threads relating to migrating with prescribed medications but I am unable to find them.

I would just like to know how many month's supplies can be brought into Aus and must each month's supply be accompanied by a seperate script or one script which covers however many month's supply you are able to migrate with?

Is it also necessary to have a doctors letter outlining the condition for which the medicine is prescribed?

Many thanks

Lee :ilikeit:

The simplest answer to this question is firstly to determine if you are coming to Australia as a temporary or permanent resident?

Permanent residents of Australia are entitled to Medicare and the P.B.S. (Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme) which allows for a prescription, issued by a G.P. here in Australia, to not cost more than $23 (even if the drug is $100 or more!) and the total cost of presciptions to the whole family, in any calendar year, is not more than $750, after which all prescriptions are free (if prescribed by the G.P.)

This helps to keep the cost of prescriptions 'affordable' to Aussies.

You can bring 3 month's supply of prescribed drugs as long as you have a script for it. (Make a copy of the script which you keep with the medication and another one to keep with you). Keep in mind the time it will take for the container to arrive in determining how much of your medication to take with you on the plane or in the container. What you can also do is to take 3 months' supply on the plane with you and another 3 month's supply in the container. (Also keep in mind if it is something which needs to be stored below a certain temperature before you put medication in your container.....) As long as you have a script for it, you'll be OK. Say for instance you take heart medication S5 to be repeated for the next 12 months. You can take 3 months supply at a time for 12 months.... (You can order 3 months' supply at at time from www.springbokpharmacy.co.za once you are here - they'll need a copy of the script which they also include in the parcel when they send it, 'cause customs WILL open it.) When you fill in the form on the plane, declare any prescription drugs. If they want to look at it, they'll ask you to show it to them together with the script. You don't need a script for S1 & S2 medication, but you can not have more than 3 months supply with you, which is not easy to determine as it's not as if you'll have a headache every day for the next 3 months!!..... Anything within reason is OK - Eg a packet of pain killers, a packet of anti inflammatory meds etc. Hope this answers your question......

PS: From my own experience, meds are FAR cheaper in RSA than in Aus (even with the postage included), so if you do not have PR to qualify for Medicare, bring your own. I still order most of my medicine from RSA.