Where to stay

Pieter en Lindie

Hi everybody,

I would like to know what it is like to stay in Sydney. We are still in Cape Town and are thinking to relocate to Brisbane. I got a jop opportunity from Sydney and don't know what it is like there. Should I take the sponsorship to get in the country or rather wait until i receive a visa.

I would also like to have an idea as to what type of salary to expect to be able to support a family of 5. How much is rated a good salary.

Hope anybody can help.

Pieter en Lindie

Hi and welcome to the forum. :ilikeit:

I can tell you this....it is quicker and cheaper to come in on a sponsored (457) visa. You will find that's how alot of us got into OZ. Once you are here you can start your process of applying for PR. We also took that route and and got our PR last week.

Good luck.

Hope the others can help you more with the other questions.

Lindy-Lee

:whome:

The cost of housing and therefore the cost of rental accomodation in Sydney is the dearest in Australia, so that will be a big slice out of your weekly wage packet.

You will able to earn enough to live in Australia, even Sydney, although you may struggle for the first year or two financially, as you buy things to start a new life here.

Brisbane is cheaper to live in.

The MAIN thing is to get into Australia, become permanently resident here, then go wherever you like in Australia to find a place that suits you and your lifestyle.

Australia is seven times bigger than South Africa, and each city in Australia has its own special charm and style, so what may not suit you in one city, you may find is perfect for you in another city or region of Australia.

Australia is soooo big that it can suit a lot of different lifestyles and tastes!

Try Australia for two or three years and then see if you like it, or not.

What have you to lose?

Your kids will love it!

[Hi nig en neef ons is amper 3weke hier en dit is baie lekker.Van wat ons gehoor het van mense af is Sdney is n baie besige plek leefstyl baie baie duurder as Perth .IN Sdey het ons ook gehoor jou leefstyl sal drasties verlaag .Ons glo maar wat mense se al ken ons hul nie en in Perth sal ons n beter lewe he koste gewys en dit is ook glo baie familie georenteerd, as Sdney.

Edited by Allie&Urs

Hi Lindie en Pieter .Ek dink jul sal nooit n fout maak om Perth toe te kom nie dit is n wonderlike land veral vir kinders.N mens is skrikerig om daai besluit te neem en het gedink wat doen ons is ons mal of wat.Ons het n baie lekker lewe in Gordensbaai gehad behalwe veiligheid :blush: .Mense in Perth het gese n mens gaan so voel hul almal is daar deur en ook gese ons is baie braaf en het guts . Dit sit nie in almal se broeke nie maar as jul eers hier is sal jul sien wat se wonderlike plek is dit :blush: .Almal praat net goeie dinge van Perth en meeste mense se hul sal nooit terug gaan nie agv die crime in suid afrika en ook omdat hul hier gevestig is .Jul moet meer vrae vra en opsit almal is nice en wil net help en advies gee hul het ons baie gehelp en voorbery op Perth :blink:

Hi there

I think if you are earning over $75 000 you should be okay, depending on where you settle. Also if your salary is strucutured to include the LAFHA you will be fine. I would personally take the sponsored visa as you know you will be in Australia and have the security of a job. Later on you can look around.

The career opportunities in Sydney, Melbourne and Canberra are pretty good at the moment also. Sydney is expensive as far as housing goes but I think it is worth evey cent. We have a room less and no garages and no bics but we also have no boundary walls on any side and no burglar bars etc.

It also depends how old your children are? Childcare under 5s is expensive. I would look at what your prospective employer is going to help you with also, eg LAFHA and flights etc. If you are desperate for PR you can apply once you are here or ask your employer to sponsor you ENS further down the road. Also once you are earning the $ you can travel abit and see if you would like to move further down the line. Have a look at seek.com.au to compare salaries, and realestate.com.au for rentals.

We bought two old small cars with the proceeds from the sale of our house and we survive on my hubbys salary with 2 kids and we have no debt very different to both of us working in SA and having debt coming out of our ears. If you settle on the North Shore your rental would be alot higher than say the Hills so have a look at all the options. On a 457 visa you also get significant tax benefits.

On a 457 visa your school fees for older children will vary depending on where you settle so bear that in mind also, in Sydney it is cheaper to send your child to a Independant School while on a 457 visa than a public school where as the other states vary.

Good Luck with whatever decision you make.

Ek is jammer maar ek stem nie saam met sa2auz nie.As n mens oor kom sal ek se gaan doen jou agtergrond en kyk van wat se plek jy van hou dan fokus jy op daai spesifieke plek en kyk vir werksgeleentheid daar .As jy klein kinders het sal ek hul so gou as moontlik wil laat inset.en hul nie weer ontwrig deur net sommer in enige plek inte kom nie.VERDER kos dit geld om weer te trek veral as jy nie seker was jy wou daar lang termyn bly nie.Ja kom op n visa oor ons het na baie plekke gekyk toe ons Perth sien en bietjie agter grond gekry het oor die plek het ons geweet dit is wat ons soek en goed sal kan aanpas [veral waar jy voorheen gebly het]dink ek speel ook groot rol waar jy sal aanpas.

I would personally take the sponsored visa as you know you will be in Australia and have the security of a job. Later on you can look around.

That's exactly what we did, even with 2 small kids. For us the most important thing was getting into OZ and out of SA asap. Once here we could decide if we like the place or wanted to move to another part of OZ....luckily for us we landed in Perth and are very happy here. And it was one of the places we were NOT looking for jobs in!! :blush: It was by chance that hubby saw job and look what we would have been missing out on.

I'd say it depends how fast you want to get out of SA or rather into OZ...each ones situation is different.

Lindy-Lee

:D