Private Medical Aid

Guest Bronwyn

Hi Bronwyn,

Whatever you do, don't use Australian Unity. On a 457 visa you need to apply to a fund that covers "overseas visitors" as you will be classified. These funds are: MBF, Medibank Private, HIF, HBF, IMAN (or AHI as the also call themselves). If anyone else knows of anymore, please add them.

We are currently with IMAN, after having a bad spell with AU. They pay for nothing, even though they say they do. The fine print states that they do not cover pre-existing conditions, and they find a way of classifying everything as pre-existing. You also have to fill in a long form every time you see the doctor, and they sometimes make you pay extra for this. Make sure what your chosen fund's views are on pre-existing conditions.

Greetings,

Dreamy

While we were on a 457 we had Grand United :wacko: (also a special expat HFund)...and then I fell pregnant within the waiting period. They did not pay for any pregnancy related costs but the day our waiting period ended they paid for EVERYTHING 100%. They covered all my dr appointments, blood tests, hospital, you name it they paid it, even the $800 isurance you pay dr at about 20weeks + of your pregnancy. The ONLY time we had to pay anything was $500 excess when I was in hosp with baby...We are thinking of going over to HBF now..but still looking into it first.

Good luck

Lindy-Lee

:wacko:

Medical Benefits Fund (M.B.F.), 77 Grenfell St. Adelaide.

Take ID

I am on Mutual Community. They seem OK, although I havent used it since joining because we havent really been sick in any way to need it. They generally pay 60-100% as I understand it, but like I say I have little experience so I really can't judge their performance.

I am using Australian Unity after having used Medibank Private for many years. - I switched because AU had a great deal with Engineers Australia. I think that was a mistake.

Like Dreamy, I am rather unimpressed with them. I think that they are lousy value for money and am looking at changing to something else.

MBF looks interesting... (And not only because my cousin is the CEO :ilikeit:).

I might even consider returning to Medibank Private. I was quite impressed when I was using them. Does anybody have any comments to make about them?

We are on HBA - their service is excellent and they pay their claims within days! Their limits on dental & optometry are ridiculous though........ :ilikeit:

Would not recommend Australian Unity - they generally suck! :ilikeit:

Hi Bronwyn

We arrive in Adelaide on 13 Jan 2007. I have not seen you on Rainbow nation recently and would really like to meet you in Adelaide. When do you actually leave South Africa

Lynne/Denise