Cost of living

IamInACT

*removed*

Sorry rather pm'd WannabeACT my costs for his study.

Edited by euroblue

HI There

We have been here a grand total of 7 days!! Here are some Sydney learnings so far...

(we are on a 457 so we incur additional costs)

Daycare $80 a day.

Primary school child $4500 per year school fee (NSW only I think?)

3 - 4 bed house near sea $1000 pw

Car Hire for house hunting $45 a day

2 zone travel ticket for Ferry / Bus / Train $50 per week

Eating out - quite expensive, soft drinks seem really expensive?

Bread and milk seem pricey but fruit is cheap in comparision??

Mobile and internet are reasonable but you need proof of address otherwisr have to go prepaid

Will let you know more as we experience more!

T

Get a breadmaker or buy your bread after 8pm. Then its generally marked down to $1 :unsure:

We went the breadmaker way and it is great.

We have ben here since 8 May. We are a family of 4 - we put my son (grade 6) into the local catholic school 10 minutes walk from the house. His schooling for the year is $1403 - pro rata from when he joined so we pay this monthly - about $165 per month so that its paid by Nov. Our rental is $350 a week - a three bedroom house in the Hills - ok its not great but its clean and got lovely cedar wood floors and new carpeting. I shop mainly at Coles and Harris Markets for our fruit and veg. We spend on average about $150 a week on food - I do alot of bargain shopping (stuff thats marked down due to the due date being soon) and love it - we eat really well I must say - last night we had Oxtail with veggies! I have found a butcher in Parramatta thats sells really good qaulity meat for a great price so bought alot of our meat there.....we eat meat everyday btw.

My youngest cannot go to school yet but will start next year - in the mean time I have him in occassional care through the same catholic church so he goes every Tuesday and Friday afternoon - they charge $9 per hour.

We have one car (company) so no costs there and I catch the bus up to the shopping centre during the week and do my shopping there - round trip costs us $3.80 for both of us.

We came over expecting things to be harder financially so we watch the budget carefully as I am not working and my husband earns about $70K per annum. If you watch things you can live here fine - just dont expect to have what you had at home and be prepared to adjust. I love the free entertainment here too - we are going to watch the fireworks at the Harbour Bridge on Saturday night!

Joined the library so get free DVDs for the little one each week, check out the coupon booklets for great savings if you want takeout now and then and also look out for specials on your internet - we signed up for Telstra and get 12 Gigs a month for about $30.

I think it all depends on where you live, QLD seems cheaper from the comments. In Perth you cannot find a place big enough for a family of four for less than $400. Groceries for my hubby and I come to around $200 a week, and that is not splurging or buying the most expensive things. Maybe its me but Perth seems really expensive compared to some other places? I believe Sydney is the only place thats more expensive?

We live in Sydney though...... Maybe I am just really thrifty? :unsure:

One thing I really like about living in Australia is that they reduce so much stuff. Food is "reduced to clear" before its sell by date. This is all I buy. On a good day I can get meat for the entire week for about $25 at Woolies. I budget $250 per week for groceries. So that leaves me smiling. Deos I buy from Sams - costs me $2,99 compared to $4,99 at Coles/Woolies - thats a big saving over the year !!

Billabong, if you are prepared to eat this way, and have no problem with some second hand stuff (fridge, washing machine) - you will be fine.

Edited by Lyn

Thanks Lyn! I forgot about the "nearing expiry date" things - that doesn't bother me at all!! Will definately try that! We are bringing a container so I'll have my almost new appliances.... Whatever it takes to find our feet and survive....still better than here I think - more support and opportunities....Our budget is also just for if my husband works....If I have to work, I'll work. I would like my daugter to start ballet and swimming lessons next year - so that will be some extra $!!

BB - as you know I dont work yet -

You mention ballet and swimming for the little ones - my daughter and I both do figure skating - one of the most expensive sports around - I use my family benefits for this !!!! Its my sanity allowance. I didnt allow for this when I mentioned the $1000 per week. So that will be over and above. You gotta love this place.

What about rentals inACT? Carl was looking on the internet recently and he said the prices were very high $400 - $500 per week? Is he looking at mansions?

Depends on where you look and how many bedrooms you need....We are looking in Belconnen 3 bedrooms - there are a few for between $370 - $420....

Franci, I would not say thats a high rental.

When we budgeted whilst still in SA - we were hoping to get away with about $380 per week. Unfortunately this amount attracts a huge turn out on inspection day. After chatting to an agent, they suggested my husband look in the $400's and there were definately less people at these showings. That was last October.

We live in a lovely area, I wish I could buy here but that would be financial suicide for us. We rent a smallish three bedroom townhouse, downstairs as you walk in a laundry and loo, then the dining / lounge / kitchen open plan. Up the stairs a bathroom (no separate shower) and three rooms - my daughters bedroom doesnt even have cupboards. No garage, one carport and small storeroom.

So - definately not a mansion !!!! This place would fit into Ridge Road about 3 times.

But dont worry too much - when you get here you are so pleased to just get a spot. As the months go by you can decide where you want to live.

has anybody else noticed, or is it just me, that rentals here are more 'accepted' than in south africa, where most of our dreams were to own our own homes, here we quite happy to rent until we can buy, but it doesnt seem such a big a deal as it used to be in southa frica.......

when we first arrived i just wanted to buy my own place, now after 10 months, thats not such a priority any more, i think life here is not so much about possessions as to the quality of your life style.

Have to agree with you lyall. I think it also helps that the rent is a lot less than you would pay if you were buying the house.

We rent for $450 a week, got quite a nice place and it was a private rental so we saw it first and we took it almost on the spot, plus the owner is a Saffer so was happy having saffers rent from him. Here are some pics........

post-10371-1243400071.jpg

post-10371-1243400099.jpg

post-10371-1243400144.jpg

We rent for $450 a week, got quite a nice place and it was a private rental so we saw it first and we took it almost on the spot, plus the owner is a Saffer so was happy having saffers rent from him. Here are some pics........

The outside....

post-10371-1243400560.jpg

post-10371-1243400972.jpg

lovely place...couldnt help laughing at the fridge space though...the kitchens here are not made for big fridges/double door fridges..nice all those kitchen cupboards, nice and modern looking and hopefully easy to keep clean. presume that is over the road..lovely to live in such open spaces in safety....

I think Pine also said that they "upped" their budgeted rental and got a nice place much quicker. So that is another option of you are not getting any joy....

lovely place...couldnt help laughing at the fridge space though...the kitchens here are not made for big fridges/double door fridges..nice all those kitchen cupboards, nice and modern looking and hopefully easy to keep clean. presume that is over the road..lovely to live in such open spaces in safety....

Yes thats a golf course across the road, hubby works night shift and its pitch black over the road at night but I dont get nervouse etc. Back home i was a wreck if left alone.... night or day.

If you up your budget rental you defiantly can get a place easier and quicker.