ADMIN ACCOUNTS BOOKKEEPER

DESIREEB

Hi Everyone

I was just wondering if there was anyone in Adelaide in my field that has been battling to find work.

I have been to a few agencies,interviews and applied for work online.

The agents and employers are telling me that there are as many as 150 CV's sent in for any one ADMIN position.

Now tell me how are we supposed to compete with something like this.?

Please don't fight with me. I am asking for some advice and guidance. :lol:

Thanks

Desiree

Edited by DESIREEB

I wish I could help.... I wish you loads of luck. Don't give up trying!!!

Hey Desiree

Hang in there - have faith and something will come up....

After quite a few months lOOkinG, my daughter started her 'first' job today :blink: not in her field of study, but a job to keep her going until she finds that real job ....

GooD LucK !!!

Desiree

You may already be doing this, but ....

Are you tailoring each CV you send out to match the job being advertised ? Pick out the key criteria in the job advert and make sure they are in your CV somewhere.

Have you considered temping? This is a quick way to get some Aussie experience and a chance to show the agencies how brilliant you are.

Don't aim to low either - shoot for the stars, if the ad asks for a degree, diploma or whatever and you don't have it - but you are sure you can do the job required apply anyway!

Talk with the most posh accent you have.

Download a trial MYOB and give yourself a crash course (will take you all of 20 min).

Hop online and brush up on your excel skills on the microsoft website.

Don't mention children/family at interviews (or at the very least keep it short and sweet and change the topic fast!)

Shake hands firmly with everyone, be assertive and wear the boring black suit and white blouse.

Most Importantly - Don't let the constant rejection get you down, IT WILL HAPPEN, sometimes it just takes time ...........

Hi DesireeB

For us still coming over, it's a concern regarding the reality of job shortages. Please can you let us know how it goes with interviews and what tips we could also use?

All the best with the job-hunting and hope you land your first OZ job very soon!

Hi DesireeB

Hanging there girl, dont give up. I beleive if you knock on enough doors eventually something will come up.

Good Luck , dont despair.

Hi there,

I'm finding the same here in Brisbane, I'm a PA and have noticed that they're asking for degrees...if I had a degree I wouldn't be a PA but it seems people with degrees are taking admin jobs cos they can't find work in their own fields. It doesn't make sense to me because when the market does pick up surely these people will go back into their fields? I'm also on a 457 (hubby's) which doesn't count in my favour either.

In 2 weeks I have applied for over 20 administration roles (some junior) and got my first call yesterday, I went to see them last night and they have set up me up to meet with the client on Monday. I'm about to do the online skills testing and hopefully all will be good there. I'm not getting my hopes up too much but will take it as interview experience if nothing comes from it.

It's such a different situation from 8 months ago when I first started working, then I was turning down positions and kept moaning about the agencies nagging me! Should've taken a permanent role on then but I didn't expect this to happen, in the least admin work has always been rather easy to find, atleast I have ozzie experience now and I'm sure something will come up...if not...there's always Woolies ;-)

Good tips from Andrea!

Good luck,

Tanya

Thanks guys and gals

Since my last post there is a temp position in the pipe-line. :(

I am meeting with the employer on Monday for my first interview. At least I have got to this stage.

Going through the Behavioural/Competency -based Interviews schedule I feel more nervous.

But I will spend the weekend preparing.

So, to everyone thanks for the support and I am going to knock their socks off on Monday. Will keep u posted.

Regards

Desiree

I GOT IT.... I GOT IT

Start tomorrow..............never give up

Edited by DESIREEB

Wow!!! Congrats....that is briliant news. Good luck!

Thinking of you this morning! Give us a call and let us know how it was!!!

Xxx

I got a job too - a permanent position....I start on Monday! I had applied for 42 positions, received 14 declines the rest were ignored. For this position that I did get, I first met with the agency, then the HR person, then the MD and then the consultants...4 interviews for an admin position - crazy but definately a sign of the times!

Gongrats, also sent you a PM

Dax

I got a job too - a permanent position....I start on Monday! I had applied for 42 positions, received 14 declines the rest were ignored. For this position that I did get, I first met with the agency, then the HR person, then the MD and then the consultants...4 interviews for an admin position - crazy but definately a sign of the times!

Well done :ilikeit: and good luck for Monday. I know how you felt :rolleyes: and I know how you feel now :ilikeit: