Rusks... no wait they are scones

choog

So the other half made some scones the other day. Went shopping and bought the stuff (and we spent way over budget last this week, not because of the scones, but because it just happen) along with all the usual weekly goodies.

So my other half gets all the ingredients together and mixes, and combines and shapes them and then puts them into glass tray. Whilst she is doing all this, i'm overseeing the whole thing, making sure everything is done correctly, and up to par . MMmm, nice scones your making, and the other half blurts out "their not scones there rusks". Anyway, she puts them into the overn, and off she trotts to read a book. A little while later i look in the oven... i shout out "scones are looking really good".... she yells back 'there're not f scones!'... charming i thought.

35k7aco.jpg

Well, time came and the scones are ready, out of the oven i took them and the other half overseas the readiness, 'are the scones ready' i ask - she shakes her head and gives me a dirty look. They looked ready to me and i grabbed one and ate it in anycase. Man they were good. I had 3 hot/warm scones - yummy.

Anyway, she pulled them all apart and threw them back in the overn for drying....... MMmmm a dried scone, thats new and innovative. Has the misses got an inventive gene? Anyway, after the drying process was done, i made some coffee, as you do - and chomped down a few more dried scones.

a0xro4.jpg

lol... just awesome guys!!!! :ilikeit:

Careful. everyone might want to come over for tea... no, not dinner... tea (and scones)... :blush:

LOL! Well, those dried 'scones' look absolutely delicious!!! Compliments to your other half! So sweet of you to take pics of her baking-in-progress! :ilikeit:

He he he he!!! You should call them Scusks!!!!

You know I cannot believe that my husband took fotos of my scones and posted them on the forum! I am so embarressed !! My scones are on the large side due to lack of enough baking tins and boredom (the bigger the balls the quicker they,re in the oven)(so they stayed in the oven an extra hour longer)so you only need to eat one then you are really full... The recipe I actually got from the forum. If any one has a nice health rusk recipe that would be appreciated

Thanks to Sharon for the recipe

Wow!!!! I just had a protein shake for lunch and now seeing these "scone- rusks" am dying of starvation - they look GOOOOOD!!! mmm....

Must say - good photograph -

We should perhaps consider starying up and publishing a forum recipe book. ( just like the huisgenoots - if some f you can still remember You- Huisgenoot- they had these fabulous recipes in it weekly)

Royalyties from the book can go to charitable orginisations and those who have employment problems, cancelled visa's etc...

Ooops - hijacking thread - Sorry but these look so good and my mind is wondering ......

Brenda

Rusk making happens every week here. My wife was doing it in South Africa. She makes wholemeal buttermilk.

You should see when Australian hear about them, then try them. "Theyre for babies" "they taste good" They look a bit like dried broken bread :lol:

ja, when i made and took to the office to sample they said rusks is what babies eat to stimulate teeth growth or whatever for babies, it is truly an SA thing.

• 3 weeks later...

Due to request I found and typed up the recipe of my wifes

Buttermilk Bran Rusks

300 g Bran Flakes

250 ml raisins

10 ml salt .

5 ml baking powder

500 g margarine

500 ml sugar

500 ml buttermilk

3 eggs

Mix the Bran Flakes, self-raising flour, raisins, salt and baking 2 X 500 g self-raising flour powder together in a large bowl. Melt the margarine with the sugar. Remove from heat and add to the buttermilk in a 3 L Mixing Bowl. Beat in the 3 eggs and add this to the dry ingredients, mixing thoroughly.

Pack into balls (± 7 cm diameter). Place in a greased roasting pan (approx 20 balls). Bake at 180 °C for 45 minutes. Separate and cut into rusks. Dry out overnight in warming drawer. Store in a Space SaverTM Square 4. Makes ± 80 rusks.

Buttermilk is available at Woolworths or Coles in 600 ml

Edited by LeeInOz

jo1 pointed out an error :blush: this is better

Buttermilk Bran Rusks

300 g Bran Flakes

2 X 500 g self-raising flour

250 ml raisins

10 ml salt .

5 ml baking powder

500 g margarine

500 ml sugar

500 ml buttermilk

3 eggs

Mix the Bran Flakes, self-raising flour, raisins, salt and baking powder together in a large bowl. Melt the margarine with the sugar. Remove from heat and add to the buttermilk in a 3 L Mixing Bowl. Beat in the 3 eggs and add this to the dry ingredients, mixing thoroughly.

Pack into balls (± 7 cm diameter). Place in a greased roasting pan (approx 20 balls). Bake at 180 °C for 45 minutes. Separate and cut into rusks. Dry out overnight in warming drawer. Store in a Space SaverTM Square 4. Makes ± 80 rusks.