Filling Up

wynie

We will be on a LSD trip in Desember and we will also be hiring a car, I assume that you have fill up your own car, does anyone have any tips on how it works.

Thanks

You pull into the garage, choose your fuel pump of choice (unleaded, super, diesel, gas) put in the petrol, take note of the pump number, saunter into the office, tell them you wish to pay for pump number ?? and they will take your money from you. Easy as!

Mara

The safest way is to get the hire car people to run you thro' the procedure.

Tell them that you aren't familiar with that model of car and that the pumps here are a little confusing for you. :blush:

The one important thing to remember is that different cars run on different fuels.

Don't put petrol in a diesel car . . . . it will make the engine go faster and faster till it blows up!

and vice-versa

Don't put diesel in a petrol car . . . . It just won't go! Wrong stuff. :lol:

Check with the hire people what fuel the car runs on and only put that particular fuel in.

If unsure, ask someone at the service station, where the petrol or diesel is sold, to help you choose the right fuel and help you fill it up.

It's pretty easy to do and once you do it first time, you will remember to do it easier next time. ;)

Guest Bronwyn

Good tip Bob. I'm going to be filling my own car up for the first time soon to... :lol: You see, we've got friendly guys here who do it for us.. :o so we don't know the drill.

Like the first time I went shopping in an Aus supermarket, I swear I just stood there after I paid, until I realised no-one bags the stuff for you!!! What a dolt! :blush: They all thought I was a nutter. ;)

Filling up my own car is still something I don't really enjoy. Had to do it the first time on my own in England. I was pulling the hose so hard to get it to reach the cashier shouted at me out the window that I was going to break it! :blush:

I didn't like filling my own car in the beginning, but now I like it, I do it at my own pace, I feel in contol, and most NB no one is BUGGING me.

We have good system - I do the filling up and wifey goes and pays, and I get the timing right perfectly, by the time she get to the front of the cue, I'm done!

Wynie - a tip from me: most Saffers would think that they need to move the car ( after you filled it up and before you have paid )so the people behind you can get a spot to fill their tanks. This for me was natural, the wife likes to buy goodies (and at some of the nice servo's there are many goodies you can buy) and pay together with the petrol.

Don't move the car - forget about those behind you (within reason) till you have paid, and only then move the vehilcle to drive off. In the beginning I tried to be ultra courteous but had to face the wrath of the attendant, they might just think you are trying do do a runner!

Hey Bronnie - what do you mean they don't bag things up for you in Aus? In my experience ( in Bribane) they do, as a rule they just don't put it into your trolley. They do everything like weigh and price you veggie/fruit purchases in the cashing up line, not like SA where the is someone to price and bag the veggies/fruit and then someone in addition to pack the bags. Where did you experience this?

BAG BUG

Like the first time I went shopping in an Aus supermarket, I swear I just stood there after I paid, until I realised no-one bags the stuff for you!!! What a dolt! :whome: They all thought I was a nutter. :blink:

I was super worried about this while still in SA :wacko: . I imagined myself not being able to co-ordinate packing the stuff out of the trolly, packing it into bags without a massive backlog of groceries piling up, paying and keeping an eye on the kids. However to my great relief I have never once had to pack a bag. :wacko: It's all done for you and all you have to do is put it into the trolly. Maybe in some of the other states it's different but in and around Brisbane and in northern NSW it's all done for you, phew! :D

As far as putting in petrol goes it takes a bit of getting used to. Bug is right, take your time and don't worry about the people waiting behind you, they are all used to waiting while you fill up and get your goodies inside. My car runs on LPG gas which I like because there's no chance of spillage on you (not to mention it's a lot cheaper than petrol and diesel ;) ).

Good luck and I'm sure you will be fine! :)

Naaah!

. . . . Relax!

This is Australia we're talking about here.

If you want to shift your car, then shift it for the next bloke to move in and fill up . . . only don't go out of sight of the garage attendant or he / she might think you have done a "runner" without paying.

I've done that a number of times and mostly people will thank you for it, as they fill up sooner.

If you are feeling buggered and want to stay where you are, then you can stay at the bowser and not shift until paid and you're ready to move.

I've done that heaps of times also.

What does get me sometimes is a person taking minutes to shift off the bowser AFTER they have paid and you see them just "inspecting" their ticket or change or whatever whilst sitting back behind the steering wheel.

Now . . . THAT is being inconsiderate of others.

The main thing is DON'T worry.

Ask someone to help you if you don't know.

This is Australia.

If they don't smile and ask where you're from and have a chat with you, then THEY are the ones having a "bad hair" day!

The main thing is DON'T worry.

Ask someone to help you if you don't know.

This is Australia.

If they don't smile and ask where you're from and have a chat with you, then THEY are the ones having a "bad hair" day!

Too true Bob. When I first got my car and went to fill up I had a bit of trouble with the LPG nozzle. The guy filling up at the pump next to me helped me out and we had a bit of a chat about local house prices. He had just sold his house in NSW and was looking out for something to buy in the area. I've had plenty of mini-conversations at the pumps. It's really quite laid back, no hooting or dirty looks if you have to wash your windscreen or put some oil in and you hold things up for a couple of minutes. It's all pretty much like everything else here, "no worries" sums it up perfectly. :wacko:

Guest Bronwyn

Huh? The embarrassing bagging scene happened in Sydney (In the heart of Kings Cross). It was in 1997. Maybe times have changed, but I wouldn't know because the last time (a year ago) I high-tackled everyone out of the way to pack the things myself, and so prevent another embarrassment. Have times changed on the bagging scene???

:blink::wacko::wacko:

And I am still stressed about the petrol filling thing. :whome: I suppose practise will make perfect. At this point I don't even know which side of my car the petrol cap is on, and it takes me 15 minutes to find the damn lever that opens the bonnet..I want a car I can put on charge at night.

Bronwyn

Have times changed on the bagging scene???

Hehehe, you need to keep up with the latest fashions, doll! :wacko:

Yeah, no need for concern at the checkouts. It's all done for you. There's these hangers that hold the bags and the checkout operator bags it all for you and hands the bags over when they are full. If I remember correctly Clicks in SA has a similar system.

Now if they would just catch on at the petrol pumps there would be nothing to worry about. :wacko:

Hey Bronwyn, just don't put the petrol in some hole under the bonnet...small steps girlfriend....... frist find the petrol release cap or you mihgt get confused, putting petrol into the radiator or oil inlet.

Hehe

Jules ek sien jy gee gas! Lekker!

BUGster

Edited by chatterbug