Drivers licence

kaztayli

I have heard that a person has to resit their drivers test once arriving in Oz. I am assuming that this applies to all RSA licence holders. Does anybody know if you have to sit your test again if you hold a UK licence?

The UK licence holders simply get their licence converted without doing the driving test. Lucky fish!! :blush:

I am not sure about everywhere in Australia,but here in Wagga Wagga New South Wales,all I had to do was to provide proof that I had been driving in New Zealand for 3 years or more,then they would simply just convert for me.Since I had only been in New Zealand for two and a half years ,I had to provide proof that I had been driving in RSA for the remainder of my total of three years needed-which was not a problem as I had my licence for many years in RSA...

I have submitted all my proof,and am now waiting to hear back.

A friend of mine who moved to Syney last week-lived in New Zealand for 6 years-they just converted his.

I'll wait and see what happens to mine,but I know they just converted his for him.

Hi Gavin,

If you get a straight a conversion, consider yourself lucky!

We came as NZ citizens to Sydney 3 years ago and had to do the theory test before being able to get our drivers licences.

South Africans who arrived in Sydney around the same time as we did, had to do the theory and the practical.

SAS

You've got to remember that when you get your diving licence, it's not actually an "Australian" licence.

For vehicles up to 13 tonnes, the States and Territories issue their own driving licences. It's only when you get into drving heavy stuff that the "Australian" licence kicks in and is granted by the Australian national gov't (although the States still issue it, over the counter, on behalf of the national gov't)

When you have an overseas driving licence, you have to check on what your particular State or Territory will allow or not allow.

In South Australia, you have a list of countries that the State gov't accepts as having credible road and driving testing standards, and will simply swap the licence over in exchange for a South Australian licence.

Unfortunately, South Africa seems to have fallen off the radar screen in terms of acceptable testing standards nowadays, so you have to sit the test all over again, if you rock up holding a South African licence at any Sth Aust Transport Licensing Dep't offices.

British driving licences simply require a trip to the licensing dep't to exchange it over and hand over the money for a Sth Australian licence. . . . . no dramas!

By the way, as far as spelling goes . . . . .

you get a licenCe (noun)

but you go to be licenSed (verb . . . to license)

In Australia, it's the English spelling which is the exact opposite to the American spelling :ilikeit:

• 2 weeks later...

I know this topic has ended.But would just like to confirm that I heard back today from the RTA,They informed me all was OK and that I could simply just go in and do the conversion as my proof which I supplied to them satisfied their requirements.

I went in, and 15minutes later walked out with my NSW drivers license without having to sit any tests...

Guess luck was on my side....

Hmmm now that its "open" again... does anyone know how the licencing in Victoria (Melbourne specifically) work?? I have my international licence which they said is valid for a year, but how long before i need to do a VIC licence and how does it work?? Not that we have a car at the moment, but i would like to get this sorted out before we get one and then its rushing around to get things done!!

Thanks

Caro

Edited by catz

You have to find out what the State of Victoria allows or doesn't allow.

As I said, each State issues its own driving licences in this country.

What one State will allow, another State may not allow.

Victoria has the equivalent of a Transport and Vehicle Licensing Dep't.

Give them a ring and ask what the current deal is for converting a South African or British licence over to a Vic licence?

Thanks Bob,

Yeah i know i should do that... but i am sooooooooo not up to it if they going to tell me i have to sit darn tests!! Lol i hate studying and tests!!