Are all religions worshiping the same God?

bokklong

The registered opinion of 4 of every 10 Americans is: “When Christians, Jews, Buddhist, and others pray to their gods, all of those individuals are actually praying to the same god, but simply using different names for that deity “

The Baha’i’s faith claims that in reality there is only one religion, the religion of god. This one religion is continually evolving and each particular religious system represents a stages in the evolution of the whole.

An old Indian tale goes as follows: It is said that once upon a time a king gathered a few men who were born blind. They were asked to describe an elephant, but each one was presented with only a certain part of it. To one was presented the head of the elephant, to another the trunk, to another its ears, to another the leg, the body, the tail, tuft of the tail, etc. The one who was presented with the head said: "The elephant is like a pot!" The one who was presented the trunk answered, "The elephant is like a hose." The one who touched only the ears thought that the elephant was a fan, the others said that it was a pillar, a wall, a rope, a brush, etc. Then they quarrelled among themselves, each thinking that he was the only one right and the others were wrong. The obvious truth is that the elephant is a unity of many parts, a unity that they could not grasp in their ignorance.

According to the pattern suggested by this tale, it is often said that world religions form a unity, and only this unity provides the right perspective on ultimate truth.

A similar trend is encouraged by the suggestion to consider the various world religions as alternative paths to the same transcendental finality or, using a known illustration, many paths to the same mountain peak.

Now I know this topic is a bit of the line from the general topics being posted on this site, but I thought it might make interesting reading. :stretcher:

Some religions worship the same god (e.g. the "Abrahamic" religions that are Judaism, christianity and islam) while others are somewhat different.

It is for each and every one of us to find our own "god".

A number of years ago, I wondered what I would have grown up believing if I were a Chinaman born in the middle of China, or an Arab in the middle of Saudi Arabia or an Indian born in Calcutta.

In all probability, I'd have been somewhere between a Buddhist praying five times a day in front of Krishna.

So . . . . who is "God"?

Is there a "God"?

What nature does he / she take?

I've had to work thro' the question and come up with an answer that gave meaning to my life . . . . if there is any meaning to life? :ilikeit:

This is a very "heavy" topic and one that I have struggled with lots of times throughout my life. I think at the end it is a personal decision and nobody will be able to "persuade" you what you should or should not believe. Coming to Sydney was definitly an eye opener to me, where in South Africa it is more of a "closed community" and most people claim to be christians. Luckily I have been "down this road" of doubt before and have come to the conclusion that it's just a sense of "knowing" there is a God and that He is a loving almighty God. I think life would just be too hard to believe in "nothing".

I have just finished reading two books of Gordon Livingston "Never stop dancing" and "Too soon old, too late smart". It's basically essays about things he learned throughout life, but one thing that made me think was the fact that he decided that there is no God. He lost two sons one from leukemia and one that commit suicide. His philosophy is that if there was a God he would not allow children to suffer in such a way. So this brings me to a new question: Why is there suffering and if you do believe in God why is he allowing this? And PLEASE don't give me answers like: "Oh, God needed a beautifull flower for His garden in Heaven."!!!! :ilikeit:

About your question to what is the meaning to life.....I'm still wondering about this one. Have heard many "good" answers, but not one that I fully accept as the truth (for me). Some answers that I have considered is: "We are here to acquire wisdom and knowledge", "We are here to learn more about love and how to live by the principal of love", "what will matter at the end is the things you did for others with a loving heart and not things you have done because you felt you had to". Now, I know some of this might sound a bit "new age", but you can base it on christian principals.

I really love talking about the deeper meaning of life and would love to hear all the different views everybody has. :hug:

Edited by Poeksie

This is a very "heavy" topic and one that I have struggled with lots of times throughout my life. I think at the end it is a personal decision and nobody will be able to "persuade" you what you should or should not believe.

About your question to what is the meaning to life.....I'm still wondering about this one.

I agree each one of us has to make that decision for him/herself, whether or not God exists and whether all religions believe in the same God or not. As a Christian, I believe the only way to God is through His Son, Jesus Christ. Doing good deeds alone but not accepting Jesus Christ as your Saviour, will get you nowhere. But this is my personal belief.

As for the meaning of life, the answer may be found in Rick Warren's book, Purpose Driven Life, I am sure most people have heard about it. Also look at the South African and Australian versions.

Poeksie,

I came to a personal crossroad in my life a few years back, where I had to say to myself . . "am I just going thro' the motions each Sunday if I saunter off to church?" "What if there is no God?"

There's no way that you can prove the existence of a God.

No sense of seeing, hearing, etc will get in touch with God.

There's no meter that can measure spiritual beings, unlike electricity, etc.

I began to believe that there may be no reason to existence . . . that all is just a series of random happenings.

If all of the universe, as we know it, is just random, then there isn't much, if any, purpose let alone any meaning to what ever we do. It doesn't matter if people are raped, murdered, mutilated, if we destroy this world or if a meteorite crashes into Earth and all life gets wiped out. It is all random and we just have to accept the consequences of anything that happens in our lifetimes as "fate".

Life has NO meaning. If I weren't here, it wouldn't matter a damn.

You can see the hopelessness of that outlook.

No wonder I became depressed, as so many other people around the world are. Lives are not worth living and death is the only real escape, so . . . . let's eat, drink and be merry because tomorrow we die! . . . . . and when we're dead, that's it!

I can tell you that Teacher's Scotch goes a long way to making Life merry in times like that, but is Life really the bottom of a bottle?

If you look up at the stars, as I am apt to do often, you have to be amazed at the vastness of it all . . . . . that universes that no longer exist are still transmitting their light to reach us on planet Earth . . . . . even atomic gravity has to be such that the particles don't fall in nor fly apart and are measured at 7 . . . not 6 where they would fly apart nor 8 where it would collapse.

There seems to be a definite order to things beneath the underlying surface and to suggest that it's "random" is just too much co-incidence.

It is easier to believe that pigs can fly than to believe that all is just random . . . just chance.

If I can believe that this world was simply a series of random happenings, than why can't I believe that pigs can fly, which is easier to do in reality???

So . . . maybe, just maybe . . . there is an Intelligence that has 'designed" all this and has a purpose for this Creation.

If that is the case, wouldn't it behove us to try to "understand" or have a relationship with this super Intelligence??

What if this "Intelligence" has a personality?? You and I have personalities.

What if jealousy, hatred, love, patience, long suffering, etc. were all part of the make-up of this personality???

What if there was a longing to relate with us?? We relate and hurt for our kids, so what is so improbable about this Intelligence hurting for us too, just as our mum and dad did for us??

If you look up at the stars, as I am apt to do often, you have to be amazed at the vastness of it all . . . . . that universes that no longer exist are still transmitting their light to reach us on planet Earth . . . . . even atomic gravity has to be such that the particles don't fall in nor fly apart and are measured at 7 . . . not 6 where they would fly apart nor 8 where it would collapse.

There seems to be a definite order to things beneath the underlying surface and to suggest that it's "random" is just too much co-incidence.

It is easier to believe that pigs can fly than to believe that all is just random . . . just chance.

If I can believe that this world was simply a series of random happenings, than why can't I believe that pigs can fly, which is easier to do in reality???

Think of it this way. Maybe the universe we are in is one of a very large number of universes. The vast majority would not contain live because they have the wrong gravitational constant or the wrong this constant or that constant. But as the number of universes climbs, the odds mount that a tiny minority of universes will have the right fine-tuning. Have you ever heard of the saying "One in a million " Well maybe we are that one in a million.

The argument for God’s existence from the physical world was the so-called argument from design: Living things are so beautiful and so purposeful, they could only have been made by a intelligent designer. But scientist provided a simpler explanation. Their way is a gradual, incremental improvement starting from very simple beginnings and working up step by tiny incremental step to more complexity, more adaptive perfection. And when you add them up over millions of years , you get what we have today, purposeful living things. So what I thinkis important to remember is to never assume that because something is complicated, God must have done it. TIME is something that we have know idea about.

This isn’t my final view on live and creation, but just me being very open-minded.

Regarding the argument for God’s existence, this is probably a good time to revisit Pascal's Wager, which is an attempt to justify belief in God not with an appeal to evidence for his existence but rather with an appeal to self-interest.

Then there is the Christian apologist C.S. Lewis, whose most famous apologetic work, Mere Christianity, explores the fundamentals of Christian faith - what do Christians believe, and why?

In the end I guess each one of us has to find the answer for ourselves, as to God's existence and whether all religions are worshipping the same God or not. But the great thing is that God gave us freedom of choice in all things. The prophet Elijah said, "How long will you waver between two opinions? If the Lord is God, follow him; but if Baal is God, follow him." [1 Kings 18:21]. As simple as that.

I cannot argue with you Bokklong.

"Time" may have played an instrumental part in the makings of Life as we know it.

At the end of the day, there are arguments for and against the existence of a "God".

If it were proven. . . . could be measured or counted, etc. . . . there would be no purpose in "faith" (coming from the Latin word "fides" = trust)

We would "know"

However, God requires our trust in Him . . . our "faith" . . . because all lasting relationaships must have trust or it will not last.

I "trust" my wife, therefore I am still married to her after many years.

Without the trust, there would be no relationship . . . or not much of one!

In that measure we have a belief in a God who is elusive, not being blatant enough to take our "faith" away, yet still requires a relationship with us, because we are made by Him and he loves us.

Christianity is a "faith" religion . . . not able to be proven nor disproven. We can reject the teachings or accept them.

We have choice. We choose either to 'believe' in a loving, personal God or not.

. . . . . but the "not" is a pretty hopeless choice, having no purpose nor meaning to Life.

The majority of Aussies choose the "not". . . . and, at the end of the day, if you ask them, their lives are without any purpose and even less meaning!

Edited by Bob

Hi All,

I had to reply to this as it is a topic too close to my heart...and that is the heart of the matter for me. I am not just flesh and bone ( muscles and tissue and fluid) I have a SPIRIT and if anyone stops to think about it long enough they will realise that, YES they do have a SPIRIT too. GOD is SPIRIT and we have a RELATIONSHIP with HIM when we choose to SPIRIT TO SPIRIT. God is a person I know and as real as my husband or children. The ony difference is that we relate spirit to spirit while I live in my physical body, which we all know doesn't last for ever. Our spirits on the other hand, do last.

If anyone doubts the existence of God, I challenge you to take a risk and ask Him, 'God are You there? Are you real? Show yourself to me!' Let Him operate in your life, if you dare!

Love Bliks!!!

In today's Sydney Morning Herald:

Souls are not shaken, just stirred

"Migration and conversion have changed Australia's religious profile....The near future promises to bring more, not less, religious life, greater diversity and increased challenges to policy makers."

• 3 months later...

Shoe Bokklong you have asked a deep religious question that cannot be answered in short. For centuries humankind have argued about this topic. Wars have been fought for this very reason and many people died as a result. It is something that will not be resolved on this forum. I would love to answer you in detail but I also know that my answers would probably be removed as soon as it is posted as it would fuel a very controversial issue. However as a Christian I will say with conviction that there is only one true god; the three trinity God -God the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit, the God of Yahweh (YHWH). Although YHWH can be traced back to Abraham giving connections to Judaism and Islam we as Christians believe that no one will inherit the kingdom of God but through Jesus Christ.

I am sorry to say but I am deeply disturbed by Springbok’s misapplication of 1 Kings 18:21. As a Christian myself, I believe it is my duty to respond to this.

Okay so let us consider the context in which the profit Elijah said “If the Lord is God follow him; but if Baal is God follow him”.

Shortly after the death of Solomon, the united kingdom of Israel came to an end. Most of the tribes broke away from the Davidic dynasty and formed a separate entity known as the Northern Kingdom. The biblical narrative characterizes all the Kings who ruled in the north as having done what is evil in the eyes of the Lord. During its history, God sent various prophets to challenge the nation. It was during the rule of Ahab that the prophet Elijah was sent to challenge the nation. Ahab ruled 874-853 BCE.

Ahab was weak in character, a man who tend to blame others for his own shortcomings and who was dominated by his wife, Jezebel. We read about Ahab and Jezebel in 1 Kings 16. Ahab is just introduced in 1 Kings, when we read that Elijah confronted him. Read 1 Kings 16:29-34 and 1 Kings 20:1-22:53.

The prophet declared that there would be no rain until he said so and then disappeared.

Israel (now the name given to the Northern Kingdom) depended on rain for agricultural success, so no rain meant famine.

The declaration also set up a direct confrontation with Ahab’s new deities, which were fertility gods taken from the Amorites who settled in Canaan around the time of Abraham.

Anyway, Elijah was gone for three years, after which he returned with a challenge: YHWH versus the gods of the Canaanites (i.e. Ba’al). The challenge was to see which god would answer prayer, and more specifically, send fire from heaven to burn a sacrifice. It was here that Elijah made the comment of “How long will you waiver between two options? If the Lord is God, follow him but if Baal is God, follow him”.

Do not read this verse in seclusion for it is important to know what happened next. - The 850 prophets of Baal and Asherah prayed and used every trick they knew to get their gods to answer. After an entire day of futility, it was Elijah’s turn. After soaking his sacrifice with water he gave a short prayer and God set the sacrifice on fire. Following YHWH’s victory, Elijah had the people kill the false prophets. Then Elijah prayed again, and it rained.

You see, Elijah’s quote is not to be interpreted as God’s blessing or tolerance for us to worship other gods. On the contrary, it was uttered as a challenge to show Ahab and the people of Israel that there is no other God beside YHWH.

In response to what seems the general consensus here and which is a manifestation of post-modernism theology; that God gave us the option of choosing whatever religion is good to us, I say no! God did not give us the option to choose for he gave us an ORDER to follow him through Jesus Christ. I can give you many scriptures where this is supported in the Bible. That would be a topic on its own. However, it is imperative that we realize that although God is a God of Love and Faithfulness, he also a “jealous God”. For it is written in Exodus 20:5 “You shall not bow down to them or worship them; for I the Lord your God, am a jealous God, punishing the sins of the fathers for the third and fourth generation of those who hate me”.

It is within this realization that we as Christians have an urgency to spread the Gospel so that ALL people may be saved and thereby become descendants of Abraham and beneficiaries to the eternal blessing of God. It is within this context that we as Christians have an obligation and urgency to do missionary work.

All Glory to the Lord, God Almighty!

Hi Sparrow

Thanks for explaining the context of the quote. God sent his Son to die for us so that we could be make right with Him through His death (the sins of the whole world were placed upon him on the cross and He suffered the consequence of separation from God the Father on our behalf), when he died he went and preached to the people in hell and on the third day he rose again from the dead. because He was completely pure and sinless and the fact that He is God He could not be held by the penalty of death ("the wages of sin is death") and God raised Him from the Dead. he did not disobey God as man had.

Now, death was the penalty God told Adam and Eve they would pay if they chose to rebel against His authority and go their own way. And we all know what happened the serpent (devil) deceived the woman and we as their decendants all will surely face physical death (and spiritual eternal death in hell for those who reject God's plan of salvation which was to buy us back from the slavery to sin we as a race entered into the minute adam and eve turned their backs on God) Hence all the suffering in the world today is a result of sin.

The bible says that Jesus's face was "marred more than any many" he was whipped with a cat of nine tails, and nailed cruelly to a wooden cross - he suffered more than any human being has ever suffered or would ever suffer. It is a medical fact that if a person undergoes enough intense emotional/psychological stress he can sweat blood. This is precisely what happened to our dear Lord in the garden of Gethsemane the night before he was crucified. He knew the intense physical and spiritual pain He was about to endure.

He was God in the Flesh (The Holy Spirit came to Mary and Jesus was miraculously conceived in her womb). Our loving God became a man and bore the consequence that He had decreed upon our sin. When He created Adam he knew already that he would sin and that some years later the world would be filled with wickedness and violence and he was sad that He had made man on the earth. The flood of Noah followed and all men except eight souls were saved because Noah found grace in the sight of the Lord. He 'found' grace. We need to look to God for mercy that we might find grace and mercy to help in our time of need and understand that Jesus alone paid the price of death for our sin. There is no other payment acceptable to God and no other prophet or means of coming to Him. He is our creator and He has set the terms in his infitite love and wisdom.

We cannot do good works to wipe out the sins we have committed. God's holiness cannot hide sin under the carpet. it had to be dealt a death blow. Jesus destroyed the power of the devil when he died and rose again and He promises all who will come to him a "new heart" - one that longs for an intimate relationship for Him.

This is the Good News of the Gospel God's complete pardon for sin, a chance to start over with Him and to Have an intimate personal relationship with Him. "It is finished" Jesus said on the cross. This was an accounting term in those days which meant He had paid the complete price of the penalty of death for sin opening the way to God for all who will believe in Him. The curtain to the Holy of Holies in the jewish temple was torn in two at that moment as the way to God was freely open thank's to our mighty and worthy Lord Jesus. God looks at all who put their trust in Jesus and His death for them in a different light. He sees them as though they had died with Christ and as being in Jesus and as being righteous and holy. ie Jesus debited His account with our sin and credited our account with his gift of righteosness.

So, when those who believe in Jesus and trust Him for salvation (redemption ie. he has paid the ransom that had to be paid to resucue our souls from eternal death brought by sin) die physically their souls/spirits will live for eternity with Jesus in heaven. Those who don't will be separated from God (as they are without faith in Jesus on the earth) in hell.

Think of this...wouldn't it be terrrible if we had to live on this earth forever ie. if there was no death and we continued in this sinful state eternally in this world of pain and suffering. it would be horrific so Thank God for His beautiful plan of salvation.

God loves us and He wants us to come to him for forgiveness and life. He wants our lives, our hearts, our souls to be completely dedicated to Him - He is our creator whether we accept it now or not. One day we will all bow before Him but then it will be too late for those who have rejected Jesus in this life. If we don't want a relationship with Him now why would we suddenly want one in eternity?

He is a God of love and he loves you. God is love. The fact you are asking the question shows that He is causing you to question - after all didn't we all have the question in our heads as teens ...what am I doing here? where did I come from? where am I going?

I agree with the other poster who said....be brave ask God to reveal himself to you. That's how He found me. I cried out to Jesus and asked Him whether He was there and whether He really did exist....it's a long story from there but all I can say is He rescued me. I was not a Christian but now I am and it's all thanks to His love for me.

"Today is the day of salvation. Now is the day of God's favour"

Hi Sparrow

Thanks for explaining the context of the quote. God sent his Son to die for us so that we could be make right with Him through His death (the sins of the whole world were placed upon him on the cross and He suffered the consequence of separation from God the Father on our behalf), when he died he went and preached to the people in hell and on the third day he rose again from the dead. because He was completely pure and sinless and the fact that He is God He could not be held by the penalty of death ("the wages of sin is death") and God raised Him from the Dead. he did not disobey God as man had.

Now, death was the penalty God told Adam and Eve they would pay if they chose to rebel against His authority and go their own way. And we all know what happened the serpent (devil) deceived the woman and we as their decendants all will surely face physical death (and spiritual eternal death in hell for those who reject God's plan of salvation which was to buy us back from the slavery to sin we as a race entered into the minute adam and eve turned their backs on God) Hence all the suffering in the world today is a result of sin.

The bible says that Jesus's face was "marred more than any many" he was whipped with a cat of nine tails, and nailed cruelly to a wooden cross - he suffered more than any human being has ever suffered or would ever suffer. It is a medical fact that if a person undergoes enough intense emotional/psychological stress he can sweat blood. This is precisely what happened to our dear Lord in the garden of Gethsemane the night before he was crucified. He knew the intense physical and spiritual pain He was about to endure.

He was God in the Flesh (The Holy Spirit came to Mary and Jesus was miraculously conceived in her womb). Our loving God became a man and bore the consequence that He had decreed upon our sin. When He created Adam he knew already that he would sin and that some years later the world would be filled with wickedness and violence and he was sad that He had made man on the earth. The flood of Noah followed and all men except eight souls were saved because Noah found grace in the sight of the Lord. He 'found' grace. We need to look to God for mercy that we might find grace and mercy to help in our time of need and understand that Jesus alone paid the price of death for our sin. There is no other payment acceptable to God and no other prophet or means of coming to Him. He is our creator and He has set the terms in his infitite love and wisdom.

We cannot do good works to wipe out the sins we have committed. God's holiness cannot hide sin under the carpet. it had to be dealt a death blow. Jesus destroyed the power of the devil when he died and rose again and He promises all who will come to him a "new heart" - one that longs for an intimate relationship for Him.

This is the Good News of the Gospel God's complete pardon for sin, a chance to start over with Him and to Have an intimate personal relationship with Him. "It is finished" Jesus said on the cross. This was an accounting term in those days which meant He had paid the complete price of the penalty of death for sin opening the way to God for all who will believe in Him. The curtain to the Holy of Holies in the jewish temple was torn in two at that moment as the way to God was freely open thank's to our mighty and worthy Lord Jesus. God looks at all who put their trust in Jesus and His death for them in a different light. He sees them as though they had died with Christ and as being in Jesus and as being righteous and holy. ie Jesus debited His account with our sin and credited our account with his gift of righteosness.

So, when those who believe in Jesus and trust Him for salvation (redemption ie. he has paid the ransom that had to be paid to resucue our souls from eternal death brought by sin) die physically their souls/spirits will live for eternity with Jesus in heaven. Those who don't will be separated from God (as they are without faith in Jesus on the earth) in hell.

Think of this...wouldn't it be terrrible if we had to live on this earth forever ie. if there was no death and we continued in this sinful state eternally in this world of pain and suffering. it would be horrific so Thank God for His beautiful plan of salvation.

God loves us and He wants us to come to him for forgiveness and life. He wants our lives, our hearts, our souls to be completely dedicated to Him - He is our creator whether we accept it now or not. One day we will all bow before Him but then it will be too late for those who have rejected Jesus in this life. If we don't want a relationship with Him now why would we suddenly want one in eternity?

He is a God of love and he loves you. God is love. The fact you are asking the question shows that He is causing you to question - after all didn't we all have the question in our heads as teens ...what am I doing here? where did I come from? where am I going?

I agree with the other poster who said....be brave ask God to reveal himself to you. That's how He found me. I cried out to Jesus and asked Him whether He was there and whether He really did exist....it's a long story from there but all I can say is He rescued me. I was not a Christian but now I am and it's all thanks to His love for me.

"Today is the day of salvation. Now is the day of God's favour"

Hi Celeste,

You are absolutely right when you say that God wants to show us mercy. For it is through God’s mercy that we find salvation of our sins. When talking about the topic of mercy, I cannot help to think about the Canaanite woman who followed Jesus and cried out after him “Lord, Son of David, have mercy on me!” (Matthew 15:21). Also, the story of the sinful woman comes to mind, Mary, who anointed Jesus with perfume (read Luke 7:36:50) shortly before his arrest. Jesus wants us to approach him for mercy with a sincere sense of humbleness and dare I say it, fear (meaning a sense of adoration). For if we do not fear him, and this aspect is stressed on many occasions in the Bible, we will not find his mercy and redemption.

Anyway, back to the topic of the existence of God. You say that we should ask God to reveal himself to us. Yes, I agree. We can certainly ask for this but I also believe God has already revealed himself to ALL of us. Allow me to explain.

Let us first consider the forms of God’s revelation. You will notice that there are two; Universal revelation (General revelation) and Special revelation also known as Particular revelation.

Universal Revelation is God’s communication and manifestation of himself to all persons at all times and in all places. Special revelation on the other hand involves God’s particular communication and manifestations of him to particular persons at particular times; Communication and manifestations which are available by consulting sacred writings such as the bible and through his personal intervention in our lives.

Let us briefly discuss differences between the two. It is through universal revelation that all humans are made aware to the existence of God; a higher being. His presence is revealed through his creation, history and our own human conscience. However, universal revelation does not provide us with enough information to know God; who he is, what is purpose with us humans are, or his reason for being. For that matter, he could be any god.

Special revelation on the other hand provides us with specific insight to understand and know God on a personal level. It builds on the knowledge of existence of God. Here, we are able to know specifically the character of God and his plan for us. It is where he reveals himself to us so that we can have a relationship with him. Through special revelation God is able to influence us and direct us according to his will. I think this is specifically the type of revelation you and Sandy were referring to.

Anyway, both forms of revelation are critical in order to understand God. You cannot have the one without the other. However, for special revelation to work, it is important that we humans acknowledge the existence of God. Note here that I am saying, acknowledge his existence” for nobody on earth can claim that God has not revealed himself. Let me emphasize this by referring to you what is written in the Bible.

There are various places where mention is made to universal revelation. Psalm 19:1-4 is probably better known. Also, Romans 1-2 also deals with specifically with the topic universal revelation. The particularly significant portion of chapter 1 is verses 18-32, which emphasizes the revelation of God in nature, whereas 2:14-16 seems especially to elaborate the general revelation in human personality. The theme of the epistle is enunciated in 1:16-17: in the gospel of the righteousness of God is revealed from faith to faith. This righteousness of God in providing salvation, however, presupposes the wrath of God revealed from heaven against all human ungodliness and wickedness (verse 18). Paul is concerned to indicate how this wrath of God can be just. The answer is that the people on whom God’s wrath is visited have the truth but suppress it by their unrighteousness (verse 18b). God has plainly shown them what can be shown about him. This self-manifestation has continued since the creation of the world, being perceived in the things that God has made. God’s invisible qualities of eternal power and divinity are clearly perceived, and consequently the wicked are without excuse (verse 20). They had known God (acknowledged his existence) but did not honor or thank him; rather, their minds were darkened and they became futile in their thinking (verses 21-22).

The language of this passage is clear and strong. It is hard to interpret expressions like “what can be know about God” and “has shown” (verse 19) as pointing to anything other than an objectively knowledge truth about God. Similarly, “although they knew God” (verse 21) and “the truth about God” (verse 25) indicate position of genuine and accurate knowledge.

The second chapter continues the argument. The point here seems to be that all, Gentile and Jew alike, are condemned: the Jews because they fail to do what they know the law to require; the Gentiles because even without having the law, they also know enough to make them responsible to God for their actions, yet they disobey. When they do by nature what the law requires, they are showing that what the law requires is written on their hearts (verses 14-15). So despite having been exposed to the law or not, all people know God’s truth.

Acts 14:15-17 and Acts 17:22-31 also deals with the topic of universal revelation and where knowledge of God existed without any form of special revelation.

It is however important to note that general revelation, as does the law, does not serve to make us righteous. For this, we need God’s special revelations. Indeed, in Romans 3 Paul emphasizes the importance of special revelation and suggests that no one can experience salvation without it. In Romans 10 he urges the necessity of preaching the gospel (the special revelation) so that people may believe.

I guess the point that I am trying to make is this, and this ties in with my original posting; none of us can claim that God has not revealed himself to us. As Bob said, how can you look at the stars and not think about God? However, in order to become righteous we need know and experience his special revelation which is already encapsulated in the gospel of Jesus Christ.

Achieving righteousness is therefore not a matter of choosing a god to fit our lifestyle, nor is it necessary for us to ask for his special revelation as he has already given it too us.

Instead, I would say that we need to come to realization to fear God (again fear meaning in the good sense of the word and respecting him) for it is written in Psalm 111:10 “The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom. All who follow his precepts have good understanding.....”. And, with the wisdom of the Spirit we WILL experience his special revelation. For it is written in 1 Cor 2:6-8 “We do, however speak, a message of wisdom among the mature, but not the wisdom of this age, which are coming to nothing. No, we speak of God’s secret wisdom, a wisdom that has been hidden and that God destined for our glory before time began.....” and further on in 1 Cor 2:14 “The man without the Spirit does not accept the things that come from the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him and he cannot understand them, because they are spiritually discerned”.

So to conclude then, if we should ask for special revelation from God, we need to ask this with fear. We should also ask for wisdom through the Spirit in order that we can understand God.

Have a good day, :ilikeit:

• 1 month later...

Here's my 2cents...

If you don't worship God, you worship Satan.

It can't be explained more simple than that.

I'm a reborn Jesus Follower since 1997, and very proud of it. Before that I were a Satanist (for almost 15 years) (im turning 32 this year, which make the calculations quite scary), and knowing what it is like on both sides, I can say with a a heart and soul that rejoices just at the thought of God, that He is the Way to Eternal Life! There are no grey areas, it's either white or black, if you're not with God, you're with Satan.

The same is applicable for the question "Does Satan exist?" How can you believe that God exists and not believe Satan exists?

God's blessings to all :)

• 5 weeks later...

For me there are only two options:

a) Either one believes in God, or

:blush: One doesn't

There is no middle. You can't "maybe" believe in God - that boils down to disbelieving.

Everybody tends to ask for signs (From God) one time or another. Been there done that. Got two T-shirts. (On a lighter note - no the T-shirts were not the sign requested). Scientists are looking for answers, trying to explain it scientifically. They’ll never get the answers. Some of them will doubt until it’s too late.

Life has proven time and time again that we can be sure of only three things:

We were born, we will die and we will be taxed on all income if we are honest enough to declare such.

Chew on this for a while:

You believed in God all your life and lived according to His ways. The end arrives and God really exists. What will you have gained? Eternal Life, right?

What if you believed in God and lived according to His ways and the end arrives. And God does not exist. What will you have lost? Nothing - according to me. On the contrary you will have lived a life full of Love, Joy and Freedom. Not worrying about the future ‘cause He will provide.

What will happen if you didn’t believe in God and ignored all his ways, the end arrives and God does exist? Who’s the idiot then?

Nope! :blush:

Dax

As a christian I am a firm believer.

I've read this once and this was so nicely explained... :ilikeit:

Fast food restaurants entice us by allowing us to order our food exactly how we want it. Some coffee shops boast over a hundred different flavors and variations of coffee. Even when buying houses and cars, we can look for one with all the options and features we desire. We no longer live in just a chocolate, vanilla, and strawberry world. Choice is king! You can find about anything you want according to your own personal likes and needs.

So how about a religion that is just right for you? How about a religion that is guilt-free, makes no demands, and is not encumbered with a lot of bothersome do's and don'ts? It is out there, just as I have described, but is religion something to be chosen like a favorite flavor of ice cream?

There are a lot of voices vying for our attention, so why should anyone consider Jesus above, say, Muhammad or Confucius, Buddha, or Charles Taze Russell, or Joseph Smith? After all, don't all roads lead to Heaven? Aren't all religions basically the same? The truth is all religions do not lead to Heaven just as all roads do not lead to Indiana.

Jesus alone speaks with the authority of God because Jesus alone conquered death. Jesus, by His own power, walked away from the tomb three days after dying on a cruel Roman cross. Anyone with power over death deserves our attention. Anyone with power over death deserves to be heard.

The evidence supporting the resurrection of Jesus is overwhelming. First, there were over five hundred eye-witnesses of the risen Christ! That is a lot of eye-witnesses. Five hundred voices cannot be ignored. There is also the matter of the empty tomb; the enemies of Jesus could have easily stopped all talk of the resurrection by producing His dead, decaying body, but there was no dead body for them to produce! The tomb was empty! Could the disciples have stolen His body? Hardly. To prevent such a contingency, the tomb of Jesus had been heavily guarded by armed soldiers. Considering His closest followers had fled in fear at His arrest and crucifixion, it is most unlikely this ragtag band of frightened fishermen would have gone head to head against trained, professional soldiers. The simple fact is that the resurrection of Jesus cannot be explained away!

Again, anyone who has power over death deserves to be heard. Jesus proved His power over death, therefore, we need to hear what He says. Jesus claims to be the only way to salvation (John 14:6). He is not a way; He is not one of many ways, but Jesus is the way.

And this same Jesus says, "Come to me all you who labor and are heavily burdened, and I will give you rest" (Matthew 11:28). This is a tough world and life is difficult. Most of us are pretty well bloodied, bruised, and battle-scarred. Agree? So what do you want? Restoration or mere religion? A living Savior or one of many dead "prophets"? A meaningful relationship or empty rituals? Jesus is not a choice--He is the choice!

You might even say "I'm basically a good person, so I'll go to heaven." "OK, so I do some bad things, but I do more good things, so I'll go to heaven." "God won't send me to hell just because I don't live by the Bible. Times have changed!" "Only really bad people like child molesters and murderers go to hell."

These are all common rationales among most people, but the truth is, they are all lies. Satan, the ruler of the world, plants these thoughts in our heads. He, and anyone who follows his ways, is an enemy to God (1Pet 5:8). Satan always disguises himself as good (2 Corinthians 11:14), but he has control over all the minds that do not belong to God. "Satan, the god of this evil world, has blinded the minds of those who don't believe, so they are unable to see the glorious light of the Good News that is shining upon them. They don't understand the message about the glory of Christ, who is the exact likeness of God" (2 Corinthians 4:4).

It is a lie to believe that God doesn't care about small sins, and that hell is reserved for "bad people." All sin separates us from God, even a “little white lie”. Everyone has sinned, and no one is good enough to get to heaven on their own (Romans 3:23). Getting into heaven is not based on whether our good outweighs our bad; we will all lose out if that is the case. "And if they are saved by God's kindness, then it is not by their good works. For in that case, God's wonderful kindness would not be what it really is - free and undeserved" (Romans 11:6). We can do nothing good to earn our way to heaven (Titus 3:5).

"You can enter God's Kingdom only through the narrow gate. The highway to hell is broad, and its gate is wide for the many who choose the easy way" (Matthew 7:13). Even if everyone is living a life of sin, and trusting in God is not popular, God will not excuse it. "You used to live just like the rest of the world, full of sin, obeying Satan, the mighty prince of the power of the air. He is the spirit at work in the hearts of those who refuse to obey God" (Ephesians 2:2).

When God created the world, it was perfect. Everything was good. Then he made Adam and Eve, and gave them their own free will, so they would have a choice whether to follow and obey God or not. But Adam and Eve, the very first people God made, were tempted by Satan to disobey God, and they sinned. This separated them (and everyone that came after them, including us) from being able to have a close relationship with God. He is perfect, and holy, and must judge sin. As sinners, we couldn't make it there on our own. So, God made a way that we could be united with Him in heaven. "For God so loved the world that he gave his only Son, so that everyone who believes in Him will not perish but have eternal life" (John 3:16). "For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life through Christ Jesus our Lord" (Romans 6:23). Jesus was born so that He could teach us the way and die for our sins so that we would not have to. Three days after His death, He rose from the grave (Romans 4:25), proving Himself victorious over death. He bridged the gap between God and man so that we may have a personal relationship with Him if we would only believe.

"And this is the way to have eternal life - to know you, the only true God, and Jesus Christ, the one you sent to earth" (John 17:3). Most people believe in God, even Satan does. But to receive salvation, we must turn to God, form a personal relationship, turn away from our sins, and follow Him. We must trust in Jesus with everything we have and everything we do. "We are made right in God's sight when we trust in Jesus Christ to take away our sins. And we all can be saved in this way, no matter who we are or what we have done" (Romans 3:22). The Bible teaches that there is no other way to salvation than through Christ. Jesus says in John 14:6, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one can come to the Father except through me."

Jesus is the only way of salvation because He is the only One who can pay our sin penalty (Romans 6:23). No other religion teaches the depth or seriousness of sin and its consequences. No other religion offers the infinite payment of sin that only Jesus Christ could provide. No other “religious founder” was God become man (John 1:1,14) – the only way an infinite debt could be paid. Jesus had to be God so that He could pay our debt. Jesus had to be man so He could die. Salvation is available only through faith in Jesus Christ! “Salvation is found in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven given to men by which we must be saved” (Acts 4:12).

Edited by Anine

Amen Anine. Only Jesus Christ God's son makes us right before

Him - just as if we had never sinned. Forgiven. Washed in His blood. Free to serve Him.

• 1 month later...

Are all religions worshiping the same God? - NO

http://www.answersingenesis.org/ ... and many others

Is there a Living God? Refering back to the claims of the Bible, we would need some scientific evidence. The current problem is that the evolution theory is claimed to be scientific fact. There is however enough scientific fact for the claims of a young earth as the Bible tells it.

The Laws of Thermodynamics

The laws of nature, pure science. Anythings in the universe moves from a ordered state to an unordered state... the short version. This makes the evolution theory impossible. :ph34r:

Yes, this is heavy :ilikeit:

Are all religions worshiping the same God? - NO

http://www.answersingenesis.org/ ... and many others

Is there a Living God? Refering back to the claims of the Bible, we would need some scientific evidence. The current problem is that the evolution theory is claimed to be scientific fact. There is however enough scientific fact for the claims of a young earth as the Bible tells it.

The Laws of Thermodynamics

The laws of nature, pure science. Anythings in the universe moves from a ordered state to an unordered state... the short version. This makes the evolution theory impossible. :(

Yes, this is heavy :blink:

Deep stuff indeed, Moegeploeg, and very interesting! :)

I suppose with the creation angle its a question of what "floats ones boat or stirrs your cup." The two links of course represent two mutual excluding viewpoints - Biblical Creation and Thermodynamics, that forms an important part of the Big Bang-Expanding Universe Theorem.

Personally I believe God created the Universe although I doubt things happened in 6 physical days as described in Genesis - the latter narrative could be dependent on metaphor as well as oral traditions handed down many centuries before the first written versions/fragments of the early Bible/Pentateug appeared on the scene.

In a sense I am also quite a disciple of Stephen Hawking, particularly when one considers that before the Big Bang, his, and the theorems of others state that there was nothing.

Note: Nothing; no matter, no time no space. Not even (according to some postulates), the microscopic particle into which the whole present universe was supposed to be compressed.

This is probably why it is impossible at present to envisage a "marriage" between Relativity and Quantum Physics, because on the one moment there was nothing, the next moment the universe "banged" into existence.

If one considers that the Universe is about 15 billion years old, and have been, and still is expanding, we look at a creation/entity that is very hard to imagine in respect of its size and diversity.

Therefore, in my humble mind, the 6 “days” of Creation could have been six very long days

Light was created first and living organisms, e.g. mammals last. It ties in with a period of gradual development (evolution) over billions of years.

I respect the notion of others that state that everything started about 4000 years ago, according to Biblical reckonings. But I find such a theory hard to reconcile with the Big Bang’s background noise that emanates through microwaves, and is picked up by radio telescopes to this day, 15 billion years later. Or, if the earth was created 4000 years ago, why do they dig up dinosaur bones that are dated about 65 million years old?

The more one think about these things the more one becomes confused and bewildered. The one moment you wish for unification between Relativity and Quantum Physics, in order for “all to be explained and understood.”

The next moment one thinks of what the carpenter’s Son once said; “ If you want to believe in Me, you must believe like a child.”

In the end one probably have rely on one thing only, and that’s FAITH.

Groete, :)

Dax

Sorry, but I like this subject and to stir a little :( (and I am no expert myself)

15 billion years.... this is the time span you would need to prove some of these theories. Carbon dating and most other similar dating methods are known to be flawed. See Carbon Dating

Interesting observation. After an explosion, the center of the explosion is pretty empty. What I find interesting is that according to all the scientific measurements planet earth is about right near the middle of the known universe. From measurements it appears that everything is moving away from where we are.

You will also notice that certain types of carbon dating is used to test certain types of fossils. If the fossil does not fit into the "fossil record" (all the periods) then it is simply discarded. You will also find a lot of circular reasoning where carbon dating "proves" the fossil record and vise versa.

An explosion never created anything. The first law of thermodynamics proves that matter and energy cannot just appear.

Another interesting observation is that the moon moves away from the earth at a certain rate measured for over 100+ years. 250 000 years ago it would have touched the earth. Nasa measured the amount of dust in space and had to calculate the amount of dust on the lunar surface for the 1st space craft to land there. Did you notice the big feet on the Apollo lander? According to Nasa, if the moon was millions of years old, the lander would have completely sunk under the amount of duct on the surface. There was only about 2 inches... enough for about 8 000 years max.

The sun also burn up at a constant rate. A couple of million years ago the sun would have been so close to earth that it would have incinerated earth. Speed of light is not constant. For the Grand Canyon to form, water had to flow up over a mountain range 1st, then over millions of years erode the mountain to its current level. There are also dinosaur footprints in limestone, with human footprints crossing them. Dinosaur bone still containing soft tissue recently discovered, after 68M years?

Lots of interesting links out there, wish I had the time to read them all. :blink: Remember I am only stirring, use it, don't use it! :)

I feel rather diminutive in this thread with a stupid question going back to the title of the thread "are all religions worshipping the SAME God?"

I am going into a Catholic environment.

Does this mean the God I will be involved with is different to the one I got used to as a "non-Catholic" (if you know what I mean?)

This is quite a heavy burden on my mind.

Just to say I have saved both of these pages to read later as there's LOADS of good stuff to ponder.

Thanks to all!