Allergy Expo and Gluten Free Food show 24-26 November at Sydney & Convention and Exhibition Center

sonnetjie

If you new to Australia and you have allergies the following exhibition could come in really handy as it shows all the different products that are available for allergy sufferers here

Edited by sonnetjie

Hi Sonnetjie,

Thank you so much for the information, although I am not in Australia to attend. :blink:

I am so glad that you’ve touched this subject. Are gluten-free products freely available in Australia? I am not allergic to gluten, but I try to avoid it, as I am sensitive towards wheat and gluten products.

We have gluten-free bread available at some Woolworths stores as well as in Health Shops, but it is not always available. :stretcher:

What is the situation in Australia?

Have a great weekend!

Pippa

Hi Pippa :blink:

Just thought I'd tell you that you needn't worry. :stretcher: Woolworths and Coles have a health section with plenty of gluten free products: flours, bread mixes for the bread maker, pasta, cookies, you name it. At the bakery section you will also find gluten free breads.

Love

Julie :o

PS: Thanks Sonnetjie for posting this. Pity I'm not in Sydney, but I'm sure there will be something like it in Brissie one day.

Edited by Jules

Hi there

You will find fresh bread, similiar to Woolies (sort of cakey) at Woolworths you get 2 different types and a fruit one. As jules said you get cakes mixes, muffin mixes, pudding mixes, bread mixes, pancakes mixes, cereals., pastas etc. You also get packet sauce bases, like stongonaff and pumpkin soup etc that are all gluten free. I suggest you join the coeliac society they have great recipes and all the restaurants and also send a you a book with all the codes for all the additives etc so you know whats what. I find the foods pretty well labled here also. So no worries.

Pippa

Hubbie and I have a number of food intolerance between the two of us. I also follow a gluten free and cow dairy free diet. I suggest that you join coeliacaustralia for free. I read on one of the forums about the group and have found them extremely helpful and supportive. The group regularly share gluten free Australian products, restaurants, recipes and other allergy tips. If you get a letter from your doctor that states you need to follow a gluten free diet for health reason you can join the coelic society. I have joined the NSW Coeliac Society. They have a number of members that aren’t coeliac's. I have found their membership very beneficial. They provide a quarterly a celiac magazine with great recipes and tips in. Just keep an eye out for all the Orgran brands as they are all gluten free. I have never had a problem in find gluten free food in Sydney . The coeliac society will provide you with a list of places as well as the yahoogroup that I mentioned. If I could help with any brand names please let me know.I would say there is a great awareness in the big cities in Australia regarding a gluten free diet. The coeliac society is campaigning very vigorously for greater awareness. Each state has a list of gluten free restaurants which indicate where a gluten free diet can be accomidated.

Edited by sonnetjie

Hi Sonnetjie and Sa2aus,

Many thanks for the information; it is great to know that there will be a variety! :ilikeit:

Anti-Gluten Greetings, :hug:

Pippa