Valkstone Primary in East Bentleigh - Melbourne

Gee

Hi all,

I'm not sure if I should be posting my post re schooling in Melbourne here or under the Communities Forum -for Melbourne??

Just a quick post to find out if anyone out there who lives, has lived or is going to live in Melbourne has any inputs re Valkstone Primary situated in East Bentleigh, in the Melbourne east?

We are moving over in 2007 and during our LSD trip in 2005 visited quite a few schools in the eastern suburbs of Melbourne as that's the area where we have chosen to stay and liked this school for our 6 year old daughter.

As is quite common practise in Australia zoning is stricly enforced re schooling, so to send your kids to a specific school you have to live in the zone. Or if you like a specific area you are bound to the schools in that zone...decisions decisions..,

cheers

Gee

Edited by Gee

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Gee,

Strange that I would come across another SAfrican moving to Bentleigh East, having a 6 year old and interested in Valkstone Primary. :)

We are moving from Cape Town in January 2007 - I phoned the school and got hold of the assistant principle - School starts on 30 January 2007 and teachers are at the school from the 22nd. There is still space for new enrolments.

How did you come across Valkstone? We searched through www.street-directory.com.au/, to get and idea of schools close to our new adress and Valkstone came out 1st. Can you perhaps give me any more info about the school or any other Primary school in the area?Do not want to take the first and best school, but it does look like a good one?

Hi Gee,

Strange that I would come across another SAfrican moving to Bentleigh East, having a 6 year old and interested in Valkstone Primary. :ilikeit:

We are moving from Cape Town in January 2007 - I phoned the school and got hold of the assistant principle - School starts on 30 January 2007 and teachers are at the school from the 22nd. There is still space for new enrolments.

How did you come across Valkstone? We searched through www.street-directory.com.au/, to get and idea of schools close to our new adress and Valkstone came out 1st. Can you perhaps give me any more info about the school or any other Primary school in the area?Do not want to take the first and best school, but it does look like a good one?

Hi Mhat

Yes - I posted this quite a while back and noone responded..so good to hear from you

briefly how we came to Valkstone Primary is as follows:

I've got a skilled visa and PR( as well as my family). My Father lives in Melbourne so it was our first choice city as having direct family near is a major win.

I did a visit to my Father in Dec 2004 and really liked Melbourne but had to come back to Cape Town and influence my wife to make the big move.

Our family did our LSD trip in Dec 2005 where we "worked hard" visiting many suburbs and schools in the Melbourne South East, including good private ones and quite a few public ones across the spectrum i.e from the not so popular to the best in the various areas.

We are aiming to relocate at the end of 2007

We wanted to get a broad idea of all the schools on offer

One thing that stood out is that private schooling is generally really expensive but selected public ones are also really good and obviouly much much more affordable

We have close friends that stay in Bentleigh East and after visiting them liked the area as its close to the city and central. It is an old area where generally the houses are from the 60's-70's but we are initially going to rent so are not concerned re that.

The 2 schools we were highly recommended to visit in Bentleigh East by our Autralian family and frinds were McKinnon Primary and Valksone Primary.

McKinnon is a highly recommended public school but really difficult to get into due to a large waiting list as well as servicing a really small area/zone. We really liked this school.

McKinnon is the feeder to McKinnon High which consistantly has been rated as one of the better public high schools in Melbourne and is highly rated.

We also then visited Valkstone Primary, close to McKinnon Primary and were also really impressed with this school.

My wife is a preschool teacher and mentioned that she was amazed that this was a public school as in SA it in on par with a private school.

We were taken on an extensive tour by Mrs Marilyn Koolstra - the Principal, and were impressed with her and the manner by which she handled us.

The discipline in the school is good and the structure looked great i.e. the school timetables, classrooms, general facilities and the genral vibe.

However its difficult to get a real true reflection in a tour as our daughter will be the best gauge here.

Valkstone Primary does not have as strict a zoning as McKinnon which probably suits us better.

What was also great for us was that Valksone Primary is also a feeder to the highly respected McKinnon High.The fact that your child came from Valkstone allows entry to McKinnon High even if you live close by but outside the McKinnon High zoning.

Valksone Primary's website address is www.valkstoneps.vic.edu.au .

Go look there as its a good, informative website with history of the school, newsletters and lots more.

I've attached their latest newsletter

So - Valksone is an excellent choice - ..we got confirmation from quite a few Aussies re this and we are strongly considering sending our daughter there.

Who knows...maybe we will meet up if our children do go to Valksone as its always great to have some fellow South Africans around

Stay in touch as I would also appreciate boucing some other thoughts re moving to Melbourne with you...that's if you do not mind...

cheers

Gee

Valkstone_Primary____currentnews_Nov_06.doc

Edited by Gee

• 2 months later...
Hi Mhat

Yes - I posted this quite a while back and noone responded..so good to hear from you

briefly how we came to Valkstone Primary is as follows:

I've got a skilled visa and PR( as well as my family). My Father lives in Melbourne so it was our first choice city as having direct family near is a major win.

I did a visit to my Father in Dec 2004 and really liked Melbourne but had to come back to Cape Town and influence my wife to make the big move.

Our family did our LSD trip in Dec 2005 where we "worked hard" visiting many suburbs and schools in the Melbourne South East, including good private ones and quite a few public ones across the spectrum i.e from the not so popular to the best in the various areas.

We are aiming to relocate at the end of 2007

We wanted to get a broad idea of all the schools on offer

One thing that stood out is that private schooling is generally really expensive but selected public ones are also really good and obviouly much much more affordable

We have close friends that stay in Bentleigh East and after visiting them liked the area as its close to the city and central. It is an old area where generally the houses are from the 60's-70's but we are initially going to rent so are not concerned re that.

The 2 schools we were highly recommended to visit in Bentleigh East by our Autralian family and frinds were McKinnon Primary and Valksone Primary.

McKinnon is a highly recommended public school but really difficult to get into due to a large waiting list as well as servicing a really small area/zone. We really liked this school.

McKinnon is the feeder to McKinnon High which consistantly has been rated as one of the better public high schools in Melbourne and is highly rated.

We also then visited Valkstone Primary, close to McKinnon Primary and were also really impressed with this school.

My wife is a preschool teacher and mentioned that she was amazed that this was a public school as in SA it in on par with a private school.

We were taken on an extensive tour by Mrs Marilyn Koolstra - the Principal, and were impressed with her and the manner by which she handled us.

The discipline in the school is good and the structure looked great i.e. the school timetables, classrooms, general facilities and the genral vibe.

However its difficult to get a real true reflection in a tour as our daughter will be the best gauge here.

Valkstone Primary does not have as strict a zoning as McKinnon which probably suits us better.

What was also great for us was that Valksone Primary is also a feeder to the highly respected McKinnon High.The fact that your child came from Valkstone allows entry to McKinnon High even if you live close by but outside the McKinnon High zoning.

Valksone Primary's website address is www.valkstoneps.vic.edu.au .

Go look there as its a good, informative website with history of the school, newsletters and lots more.

I've attached their latest newsletter

So - Valksone is an excellent choice - ..we got confirmation from quite a few Aussies re this and we are strongly considering sending our daughter there.

Who knows...maybe we will meet up if our children do go to Valksone as its always great to have some fellow South Africans around

Stay in touch as I would also appreciate boucing some other thoughts re moving to Melbourne with you...that's if you do not mind...

cheers

Gee

Hi Gee,

Just to let you know that all is fine! My daughter is doing very very good in Valkstone primary. It is a excelent school, classes are small and everyone well organized.

the school fees for this year is $135 for the year, that broken down is $100 for stationery and the $35 for the child. For the area - it is very central to everything!For the first 2weeks I had no car, and found the transport a breeze and the shops are walking distance from our house.

if you need any advice, I would gladly assist.

Look forward to seeing you soon

Mhat

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, we are living just around the corner from Valkstone Primary as Mhat knows! :ilikeit: Gee, shout when you get here and we can get together.

• 5 months later...

Hi guys,

We are also moving from SA to East Melbourne and are also thinking of Bentleigh or surrounding areas to move to for the same reason: McKinnon school. We have two daughters: 8 and 10 (Gr. 2 and 4) which are with me in SA, while my husband is already in Oz since the beginning of August, staying for now with friends while he is looking for a suitable school and a house to rent in the area.

Please let me have more details on the school and we may create a small South African community there.

Best of everything,

Claudia