kaztayli: Hi Everybody

kaztayli

Hi Everybody

Unfortunately we are still stuck in Glasgow, Scotland (originally from Richwood in Cape Town). I have been hooked on this site ever since I discovered it a couple of days ago and am itching to pick everybody's brains.

My husband, David, and our children Tayla-Ann and Liam and myself are really struggling here with the really wet and miserable weather and are hoping to get our paperwork started again asap.

The only problem is that we really don't know where to start. If anybody can throw some information our way - it would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Kaz

Edited by kaztayli

Guest Sunshine Sister

Hey there,

Welcome to our forum ! Ok, first things first- what does David do for a living and what do you do for a living. What kind of qualifications have you got and how many years of experience ? Secondly do you have a specific city in mind in Australia where you would like to live or do you just want to get here first (meaning are you willing to go anywhere just to get in ?). I can completely understand your wanting to get away from the weather ! Good luck in the meantime.

Love from Sydney

Sunshine Sister

:)

Hi kaztayli :)

Welcome to the forum! Coming from Glasgow myself I know what you are going through weather-wise. Hopefully you can get to Aus soon and I'm sure that you'll be able to get lots of help from everyone here.

Julie :)

Welcome

First things first get your unabridged marriage certificate and unabridged birth certificates for all of you. Also make sure your passports are valid for a while. There is a recent thread on Home Affairs which has some contacts. Also check out the pinned threads at the top of each section they are brill. once you have read up and had a brain overload ask questions, you will get tons of advise and this is a great country for kiddies.

Good Luck

Hi Guys

Wow those were quick responses - :) Thanks for putting a smile on my face

David is in Refrigeration and Airconditioning (which was on the list of required skills - the last time we checked) He ran his own business in RSA for 6 very successful years. He's been in the trade for about 15 years now (and even if it is coming from me) He is damn good at what he does :unsure: .

Strangely enough - we were hoping for Melbourne as one of David's life long friends live there but after 16 months in Scotland - we'll take anywhere that has the sun and Saffas :)

I am hotel and catering trained - although have been out of the industry too long to make any difference to any points that we might need (David has enough points apparently) I have been a stay at home mom for the past 6 years now. I am considering studying something like nursing just to help but I don't know if it would make any difference.

If you are looking at applying for a permanent resident visa (136) then the first step is to have your husband's trade assessed by the TRA. This takes a while to put together, especially if you have had your own business as you will need letters from customers and suppliers stating exactly what you did for them or what they supplied to you. So in addition to getting your unabridged birth certs and police clearance you should download the forms and start having a look at that.

I did my husbands TRA application a few years ago - same story, we had our own business for 12 years, except he is a motor mechanic. The forms are all the same though so if you need any info on how to go about it just give me a shout.

Good luck!

If you are looking at applying for a permanent resident visa (136) then the first step is to have your husband's trade assessed by the TRA. This takes a while to put together, especially if you have had your own business as you will need letters from customers and suppliers stating exactly what you did for them or what they supplied to you. So in addition to getting your unabridged birth certs and police clearance you should download the forms and start having a look at that.

I did my husbands TRA application a few years ago - same story, we had our own business for 12 years, except he is a motor mechanic. The forms are all the same though so if you need any info on how to go about it just give me a shout.

Good luck!

Hi Jules

David's TRA was not recognised a couple of years back due to him not having enough letters from clients, documentation re studies etc. We were planning on leaving but still had to make a living from the business and didn't want to cause a panic with his clients.(very fickle bunch of people) Now here in Scotland - he has done loads of courses, got gas handling cards (which were about to be made compulsory in Cpt - but nobody seemed to care) etc. Do you think that he would have his trade recognised now?

Edited by kaztayli

I think all of that will definitely help. I'd still put in some letters from suppliers and customers in SA for good measure though. If he has work references from his time in Scotland too that will help a lot. It's such a time consuming process getting all the info together... ugh, but the more info they have, even though it may seem irrelevent, the more likely they will approve the application. :)

I think all of that will definitely help. I'd still put in some letters from suppliers and customers in SA for good measure though. If he has work references from his time in Scotland too that will help a lot. It's such a time consuming process getting all the info together... ugh, but the more info they have, even though it may seem irrelevent, the more likely they will approve the application. :)

Do i have to go through an agency or not? can you point us in the right direction of where to submit this info?

Thanks for your help

You can download the forms at the TRA site here to get started and that should tell you where to send it and the cost etc. It's not neccesary for you to go through an agent but it might give you peace of mind. Good luck!

You can download the forms at the TRA site here to get started and that should tell you where to send it and the cost etc. It's not neccesary for you to go through an agent but it might give you peace of mind. Good luck!

Thanks - You're a star!!!

Hi Kaztayli

Welcome to the forum! Nice to have you around seems like you got stuck in already with the questions! What cities have you considered or are you still just in the "gotta get outta here mode"?

Brisbane BUG

Hi Kaztayli

Welcome to the forum! Nice to have you around seems like you got stuck in already with the questions! What cities have you considered or are you still just in the "gotta get outta here mode"?

Brisbane BUG

gotta get outta here mode couldn't have summed it up better :) . We will go anywhere - not phased

Hi there

I think one of your options might be to apply for job for your hubby. If hubbys skills are in demand it might be a good way in and you could be sponsored on a 457 visa without having to have his skills assessed. Later on you can apply for PR or your Employer could sponsor you. I suggest you read as much as you can on this forum I do recall people posting links to employers looking. Also have a look at seek and apply for suitable positions. Also you could email some of the agencies and say you are looking for sponsorship for a 457 visa and you are ready to move now. We didn't give up, it took some time but we are here and couldn't be happier.

I am also a stay at home mum but you will be surprised and the amount of part time positions available and your background would definately be an advantage.

Good Luck

I just had look at the latest Skills in Demand List and Refrigeration Skills are sought in most of the States. You should not have a problem finding an Employer Sponsor.

I just had look at the latest Skills in Demand List and Refrigeration Skills are sought in most of the States. You should not have a problem finding an Employer Sponsor.

The problem is that we won't be moving for at least 2 years. We are going to hold out until

1. My British Passport comes through

2. My daughters adoption is finalised by her dad (very confusing I know - T is my daughter from a previous relationship but D is the only father she knows)

We were hoping to be able to get PR sorted out so that by the time my British Passport does come through - we can pack up and leave ASAP (or are we thinking the wrong way?)

I wouldn't hold off applying until your British Passport comes through. When your visa to migrate to Australia comes through, you can ask for it to be put into your British passport (if you have it) or else into your SA passport.

A SA mate of mine obtained Portuguese citizenship by descent (via his mother) after he had moved to Australia. No problems about moving the visa to his Portuguese passport!

I wouldn't hold off applying until your British Passport comes through. When your visa to migrate to Australia comes through, you can ask for it to be put into your British passport (if you have it) or else into your SA passport.

A SA mate of mine obtained Portuguese citizenship by descent (via his mother) after he had moved to Australia. No problems about moving the visa to his Portuguese passport!

We are planning to start the paperwork again now and its great to hear that any visa issued can be transfered to other passports.

Thanks for that

• 1 year later...

Jules - can you or anybody help me again

Does Australia require tax clearance papers if you used to own your own business in RSA. As previously mentioned - my husband has been working for a boss here in Scotland for 2.5 years. The only papers that I have relating to our old business are the CC papers.