Cane toads

ready and waiting

About 2 months ago while surfing the OurBrisbane website my husband came apon the article about cane toads and was very amused as to how to kill them humanely. I jokingly said to hubby no tennis practice over the fence with these toads like he does with the froggies at home.

This was a much talked about subject around the braai for a few weeks and low and behold National Geographic on SABC 3 on sunday evening at 6pm ran a hour long program on the Cane toad.

It was amaizing to see that no animal is emmune to this creature and that they have days set aside to kill as many of these pests as possible - I for one will not try to smack it dead or touch it as a lady on the programm was almost blinded when some venom got into her eyes after hitting one with an axe.

I have also said to hubby to learn not to stick his hands into any strange dark places as he might have a bad encounter with one of the native creepy crawlies.

Not to mention the SABC 3 programme (National Geographic again) on all the poisonous jelly fish along the coastline - my son is already saying he is not going to swim in the sea.

This is a great thread and very informative thanks to all who have written in - forewarned is forarmed as we will be settling in Brisbane aswell.

mmmm I also saw the toad program. Cannot say the idea of the toads and spiders etc is very appealing... I am not really into creepy things!!!

:lol::)

Hi

We are in Mackay, north Queensland, we have loads of cane toads here the numbers are scary.Before we moved into a rental we stayed in a caravan park, so they have these big spotlights, well each evening when the lights go on the toads come out to feed on the insects, these toads are big. So one day i asked about these toads, the local guy in the park said that they round them up and freeze them and then destroy them. Every night 20-30 of them would gather underneath that light, so its safe to assume when the light go on outside i used to stay inside!!! even do they do kill them as they are seen as a pest, the number of toads i saw never really decreased.

bernz

I went and did some reading about these guys, and found the info in one of my favourite haunts: WikiPedia on Cane Toads - A really boring read if you're not into frogs... :lol:

This is really a scare for somebody like me that love scuba diving: WikiPedia on Irukandji Jellyfish - Full drysuit, thanks! :)

I also found this:

- Odd, maybe not for the squeemish...

I also found this:
- Odd, maybe not for the squeemish...

ROTFLMAO!!!!!!! :):lol: :lol:

Like Bernz also in Mackay... the freezing thing is apparently the most humane way of "disposing" of these little buggers... although (and this is for the not so squemish (sp??)), and please people do not attack me for saying this !!!! If you spray them (the cane toads) with Pine-O-Clean (disinfectant smells like Dettol) they also die !! Which is according to my little warped mind FAR better than wacking or axing them.

But yeah we have loads of cane toads !!

We also have the most beautifull green tree frogs !! And the kids know, that if the want to pick them up... like kids do... they have to wet their hands first, otherwise the frogs skin will burn.

Now all that Australia needs it the good old South African Libanasidus vittatus, commonly known as the Park Town Prawn. Killing those is somewhat scary as well !!!!

We also have the most beautifull green tree frogs !! And the kids know, that if the want to pick them up... like kids do... they have to wet their hands first, otherwise the frogs skin will burn.

Really?? I never knew that. Oh, well, couldn't do much to help the one that was inside my sons shoe on the way to school then. Poor thing survived having a foot stuck in the shoe, hope he managed to survive his skin burnt when he was taken out!

Really?? I never knew that. Oh, well, couldn't do much to help the one that was inside my sons shoe on the way to school then. Poor thing survived having a foot stuck in the shoe, hope he managed to survive his skin burnt when he was taken out!

Eva! Poor froggie... First you poke him with a toe, and then you burn his skin..! How REWD! :lol: ... I mean... :):blink: :blink: ...

:wub:

My daughter is a hockey goal-keeper. She has learnt to refine her skills back in the Territory and here in QLD by making sure none are seen in the garden...with her old stick, of course!

But Mother Nature is clever; seems as if some or other brown snake (not a King/Mulga) has learnt to bite it, inject the venom and then wait until it's dead before eating it. Crows are also cleverly turning them upside down and eating them via the stomach which does not have the venom.

And now scientists are experimenting with little meat-eater ants which have a liking for baby cane toads....

Strange world we live in :ilikeit:

Eva! Poor froggie... First you poke him with a toe, and then you burn his skin..! How REWD! :ilikeit: ... I mean... :ilikeit: :ilikeit: :ilikeit: ...

:ilikeit:

Hee, hee. Better watch out, might have the RSPCA on to me....