457 conversion

WAGeo

It’s been in the making for a while but at long last my employer has confirmed that I will be transferred to from our SA operation to WA. I assume that I will be going on an employer sponsored 457. In fact I am flying to Perth 2nd week in December for my official look/see visit so should get more details from aussie side.

Question: I come in at 105 points for skilled immigration. the 457 is obviously only valid for a max (if i remember correctly) of 4 years. I have looked at a number of immigration websites, including immi and then some. I find all of this somewhat overwhelming (and not even to mention confusing). SO THE MILLION DOLLAR Q: WHICH WOULD BE THE BEST WAY TO CONVERT TO PERMANENT RESIDENCY FROM A 457 seeing that I fall short 15 pts on skilled migration.

My occupation is regionally in demand according to http://www.migration.wa.gov.au/.

Hi there

As far as I understand your employer can sponsor you for and ENS visa after 2 years or before 2 years in some cases if you have your skills assessed. You will also get an extra 5 points for 6 months work experience so after six months you would have 110. Depending where you settle you might be able to apply for a regional visa also. Lastly after 4 years you can be sponsored again or get a new sponsor so you won't have to go back after 4 years if you dont' have PR.

Good Luck

You may want to stick on your 457 for two years or so first. There are significant tax benefits in terms of rental and food allowances goverened by the "living away from home allowance". After two years say you've changed your mind and intend staying in Australia. From there it's alot easier to get residency.

We did not get the LAFHA... so check with your sponsoring employer (We had to choose: take the LAFHA & we don't sponsor your PR, or don't take the LAFHA & we'll sponsor your PR.....)

HI GUYS

HOW DOES ONE QUALIFY FOR THE LAFHA? BEEN IN OZ SINCE JAN 2006 ON A 457 VISA AND HAVE NOT HEARD OF THIS BEFORE?

IRON GUT

Hi Iron-Gut,

Ask your employer to structure in a LAFHA as part of your salary. Alternatively, if you keep receipts, then you can maybe claim it at the end of the year with your tax return.

Cheers

Ajay

Thanks all. So basically I can relax for now with regards to PR. Off to our corporate office tomorrow morning in order to initiate my visa application. Holding my breath ... can not believe its happening... finally.

Another Q: Guys on the aussie side wanted me there like yesterday. Two things delaying me on this side - co getting my replacement on this side and secondly my 457 visa application. So realistically speaking how long does the whole process take? I work for a BIG SA mining co with significant interests in WA so its probably safe to assume that they probably can make it happen as quick as it can go. How quick would that be?

Hi there

It took about 8 days from the date we did our medicals to the date they acknowledged receiving them. Then 5 days to get our visa. You can track it on line. It goes really quickly so be prepared to hit the ground running.

Have fun.

Don't know if this will help but just to give you an idea...Hubby got call that he got job on Dec 2 or 3 and they wanted him to start 10 Jan, but due to a slight delay in my passport he could not. He landed in Oz on 22 Jan. Medicals etc all done between those dates...oh and selling everything we ever owned.

As sa2auz said......

It goes really quickly so be prepared to hit the ground running.

Lindy-Lee

:ilikeit:

Thanks for the encouragement

We landed in SA on Nov3 and are rushing through Police Clearance, Medicals, Applications so it looks like we'll enter Aus in Dec19 as tourists if we don't get our 457 in time, and then change to 457 to start work Jan22.

At least we can have a braai on the beach for Christmas and worry only about the flies and not the beggars, car guards, muggers, gangs and bullets.

Merry Christmas