Maike: Having lot's of questions

Maike

Hi everybody,

I'm from Cape Town. My husband got a job offer to work for his company in Brisbane. We have a 17 month old Baby girl. I have so many questions and I have difficulties to make up my mind if we should move to Australia or rather stay inCape Town. Maybe somebody can help answering some of my questions. I'm so confused right now.

The comapny offered my husband a salary of AUD 42500,-. Is this a good salary and how much do we actually get out every month after taxes?

We also have three dogs and I'm very attached to them. Are there houses you can rend having three dogs?

How realistic is it to buy a house again in Brisbane with the above mentioned salary if I would earn appr. the same?

Is it difficult to find work? I'm currently working in the Airline industry.

How much would a creche cost me every week, full time? I heard that it is very expensive.

The comapny of my husband offers him the job but not a sponsorship. What kind of a visa would we elegible for?

I hope you can help. Thanks so much.

Maike

Guest Sunshine Sister

Hi there Maike,

Welcome to our forum. I will try to answer some of your questions but I don't live in Brisbane and so I will leave some to the forumites from there.

1. I don't know the cost of living in Brisbane so I am not sure whether the salary is any good or not.

2. Yes, there are houses to rent where you are allowed to keep pets. You need to keep in mind that bringing pets over is a very costly affair with months and months of quarantine.

3. Buying a house in Brisbane will depend slightly on which kind of visa you come over with as ppl with PR generally get loans easier and need less for a deposit. It is always a good idea to rent for a while, when in a new place. It gives you time to figure out where you want to be, what you like/don't like and within which catchment area you want to buy to get your kids into a nice school.

4. I have no idea what the demand is like - best thing you can do is to go look at the career sites : try www.seek.com.au or www.mycareer.com.au

5. Yes, you have heard correctly, childcare is very expensive. On another thread Jules mentioned the average day costing $45 and upwards in Brisbane.

6. What does your husband do ? (So that we can figure out what kind of visa he needs)

I am wondering why you are considering the move to Australia. Is it purely because your husband has had an offer or is it something you have been considering for a while ?

Love

SS

:blush:

Edited by Sunshine Sister

Hi there Maike,

Welcome to our forum. I will try to answer some of your questions but I don't live in Brisbane and so I will leave some to the forumites from there.

1. I don't know the cost of living in Brisbane so I am not sure whether the salary is any good or not.

2. Yes, there are houses to rent where you are allowed to keep pets. You need to keep in mind that bringing pets over is a very costly affair with months and months of quarantine.

3. Buying a house in Brisbane will depend slightly on which kind of visa you come over with as ppl with PR generally get loans easier and need less for a deposit. It is always a good idea to rent for a while, when in a new place. It gives you time to figure out where you want to be, what you like/don't like and within which catchment area you want to buy to get your kids into a nice school.

4. I have no idea what the demand is like - best thing you can do is to go look at the career sites : try www.seek.com.au or www.mycareer.com.au

5. Yes, you have heard correctly, childcare is very expensive. On another thread Jules mentioned the average day costing $45 and upwards in Brisbane.

6. What does your husband do ? (So that we can figure out what kind of visa he needs)

I am wondering why you are considering the move to Australia. Is it purely because your husband has had an offer or is it something you have been considering for a while ?

Love

SS

:blush:

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. The reason we are considering to leave SA is our daughter. We hope to give her a better live in Australia without so much crime. My husband is not elegible for a skilled visa. The job offer is for a call center agent. We already have the contract. I'm actually from Germany, I immigrated to SA 7 years ago. We like it here but since my daughter is born I'm worried all the time because of the high crime in this country.

Hi Maike,

I know the feeling... we also decided to leave SA for a future for our son... we are in Melbourne however, so i cant really answer any questions, but i do know that here in Melbourne, it seems childcare is more expensive than what SS mentioned as it would cost me $71 a day if my child only attends one or 2 days a week and $295 a week on a full time basis. So at this point in time i need to consider if it is really worth my while to go work so bout half my salary can go to fulltime childcare... it is more expensive for children here, but its worth it in the end!!!

Cheers

Caro

HI Maike,

Welcome to the forum - good to have you.

I'm a bit concerned about your husband's visa situation - unless he is being given a sponsor by his employers, then I think he might find it difficult - please make sure that you check this out very carefully with the company that has offered him a position.

Unfortunately, I'm in Sydney, so can't answer questions about Brisbane - but many members live there so i'm sure you'll get assistance.

Regarding your pets, please heed SS's advice - it is very expensive to bring them over and involves 7 months of quarantine.

Good luck - please ask as many questions as you need to

Love

Ajay

Hi Maike,

Welcome to the forum! Brisbane is a great place and definitely one of the more affordable big cities of Australia, but it is also the fastest growing capital city in Australia, so don't expect it to stay this way for too long! Also Australia's 6th largest city, the City of the Gold Coast neighbours it to the south!

See here for some more info:

http://www.velocitybrisbane.com/why_brisbane/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brisbane

Anyway I always struggle to answer questions like this one about the salary. Because it depends on so many factors and you have not really shared much about your current situation with us. That aside though I'm going to go out on a limb and say that the salary mentioned is not great if your husband was going to be the sole breadwinner. (Is this gross salary or is superannuation of 9% payable on top) I'd suggest that if you worked it would be much better financially for you guys. The housing market in general is a bit flat (not growing very fast) and it is a great time to buy over here, you can get good bargains if you look around. I'm sure you'd be able to buy a house with the two salaries.

I'd heed to advice of others above, and look into that visa/sponsor thing

Brissie BUG

Hi Maike, :blush:

Welcome to the forum. I see you have already had some very solid advice from the other forumites.

I have to agree with Chatterbug that it is a bit of a "lean" salary. Find out what else they offer on top of that. You will be able to get by on it, there just won't be much left over for the nice to haves.

Good luck with the process,

Greetings,

Dreamy

Edited by Dreamcatcher