Scar Tissue on Lungs

Apollo

Hi Everyone

During our medicals it became evident that my Husband had scar tissue on his lungs from a previous bout of Pleuracy. He was previously a smoker but gave up 8 months ago and has never touched another cigarette!

He has never had TB or any other lung infection and is generally in very good health.

Apparently Aus is extremely cautious with Lungs and possible TB.

Has anyone had experience with this or any possible advice regarding the impact on our application?

Many thanks

Apollo

Hi Apollo,

A radiologist should be able to tell the difference between old scar tissue and active infections (different scarring patterns) and will mention this in the report that is sent to DIAC. Sometimes to be certain they will order a follow up xray a few weeks later to be a hundred percent sure that there is no change or disease progression between the previous xray and the recent one.

If there is still doubt then your doctor might order a sputum test which will rule out TB absolutely.

Double check with We R Going on this forum , she is also a radiographer, and I am sure she will also be able to put your mind at ease.

Regards,

S

Thanks S!!

Hi Apollo... Sasher is 100% correct. They may ask for a scan to make absolutely sure or even a sputum test. I have some small granulomas (Caused by chicken pox) on my xray - first seen 10 years ago - and we have submitted our medicals and waiting to hear what they say. It has been reported by the radiologists as unchanged and due to prev chicken px so we shall see.

Good luck and let us know!!!!

K

Thanks S!!

Hi Apollo... Sasher is 100% correct. They may ask for a scan to make absolutely sure or even a sputum test. I have some small granulomas (Caused by chicken pox) on my xray - first seen 10 years ago - and we have submitted our medicals and waiting to hear what they say. It has been reported by the radiologists as unchanged and due to prev chicken px so we shall see.

Good luck and let us know!!!!

K

Dear 'We R Going', may I also use your radiology experience to calm my fears. On my lung x-ray, done on Tuesday, the radiologist wrote Hyperextended Lungs!!! I do yoga daily and so when someone says take a deep breath.... I do!!! But on googling I see it is a sign of Athsma or emphasima! I HAD athsma in my thirties but am very well and have had nothing for yeeeeaaars! I just don't want ANYTHING to go wrong... I cannot adequately describe by stress levels, although I'm sure everyone on this forum know exactly what I'm going through!!!

Kind regards,

Robyn

Hi Robyn

The info on Google is correct. Usually the lungs are hyperinflated when one has had asthma or emphysema. Did you declare your asthma? I suspect you may be asked to undergo more tests if they are worried but I doubt very much they will decline your visa. They may ask for a lung function test just to clear it up.....

I know how you feel tho cos our medicals were done last week and I suspect I will need more tests too......

Good luck and TRY not to stress... they do consider all factors!!!

K

Thanks S!!

he he it feels like old times :ilikeit: I sure do miss that department - the Christmas parties were fun!

Don't worry I am sure your medicals will be fine. If you are as fit and active as you were last time I saw you, you have nothing to worry about. :rolleyes:

Thanks Everyone

I really appreciate the advise and the support!

Man, these stress levels are something else!!! Someone told us you can be requested to do up to 3 sputum tests over a period of 3 months, given the processing delays that could take us into next year.

I will definitely let you know how it goes, one day when we get a case officer!

Regards

Apollo

he he it feels like old times :) I sure do miss that department - the Christmas parties were fun!

Don't worry I am sure your medicals will be fine. If you are as fit and active as you were last time I saw you, you have nothing to worry about. :blink:

We still have amazing xmas parties.....

It does feel like old times hey!!!

They are posting our medicals off today............. Taken a week to get sorted at the drs rooms...... So the wait is on...............

Hi Apollo

This is not an easy time and stress levels are at an all time high - just be patient things will work out - you will see.

Thinking of you - sent you a pm

Cheers

Narms