Durban Girl: New kid on the block ...

Durban Girl

Hello everyone !

We arrived in Sydney from Durban to start our new lives in January this year. My husband handled our entire application on line and we were granted permanent resident visas (136) - I am sure he will be able to provide some pointers for those of you still in the process !! We have two daughters aged 10 and 7. We chose to settle in the Hills District (Castle Hill) and could not be happier. Yes, there are times that we really miss family and friends but we have not once regretted our decision. Our daughters have settled beautifully at the local public school - the school is just brilliant and I would be happy to share my opinions if there is anyone out there needing direction in this regard. My girls have freedoms here like I never thought possible ! They are able to walk to and from school; and every afternoon the kids from our street (we live in a cul-de-sac) come and call them out to play. We end up witnessing many games of street cricket ! The girls are also able to walk down to the village shops. It took us sometime to get used to the freedom here - I was still in the S.A. mindset of not letting my daughters out of my sight and it took some time to adjust to the fact that they are basically SAFE ! And what a wonderful feeling it is. On our street, most people leave their front doors unlocked and their cars parked in the street. There are no burglar guards or security gates. We are obviously careful as one will always find petty crime but the feeling of being safe and secure is simply overwhelming. I have met some great people - not all South Africans but many Aussies and other immigrants too. I am very involved at my daughters' school (all voluntary !) which has been a wonderful way to integrate into the local community.

We left all our family back home, and as our first Christmas here approaches we are especially mindful of this. But if I can offer anyone any reassurance, missing our family and friends has been the only hard thing about our relocation here. It really is all about what you make of it. We came over with an absolute conviction that this is where we want to live and settle; and leaving no "back doors" (i.e. going home was not an option - this had to work !!) has certainly made it that much easier for us. We will never forget our roots and will always be Africans at heart, but this is a land of wonderful opportunities and we are here to stay !

I am very happy to share experiences with other members. Or offer reassurance if you are perhaps feeling unsettled or whatever. Please just write and I will do my best to reply a.s.a.p. and help you along !

Until then .....

Durban Girl

Another Hillbilly! :lol: Our Hills members is growing by the day!

Welcome to the forum and know you will be of help to lots of members!!

Don't know how your hubby did your 136 PR visa online, as these are all paper applications. :blush:

Cheers

x

Wow DG,

That sounds so easy!!! We on 457 visa, so my husband is going to apply for PR visa (not sure which one - think it has something to do with his boss sponsoring him??) soon... soooo would love to know more about the procedures your hubby followed... thats IF you dont mind sharing!!

Thanks

Caro

Guest Sunshine Sister

Hi there DG,

Welcome to our forum ! I am sure you will be a valuable asset to the forum in general and of course to those still on their way. Thanks for joining us and hope to see you at our next coffee meeting ! :blush:

Love

SS

:lol:

Hello everyone !

We arrived in Sydney from Durban to start our new lives in January this year. My husband handled our entire application on line and we were granted permanent resident visas (136) - I am sure he will be able to provide some pointers for those of you still in the process !! We have two daughters aged 10 and 7. We chose to settle in the Hills District (Castle Hill) and could not be happier. Yes, there are times that we really miss family and friends but we have not once regretted our decision. Our daughters have settled beautifully at the local public school - the school is just brilliant and I would be happy to share my opinions if there is anyone out there needing direction in this regard. My girls have freedoms here like I never thought possible ! They are able to walk to and from school; and every afternoon the kids from our street (we live in a cul-de-sac) come and call them out to play. We end up witnessing many games of street cricket ! The girls are also able to walk down to the village shops. It took us sometime to get used to the freedom here - I was still in the S.A. mindset of not letting my daughters out of my sight and it took some time to adjust to the fact that they are basically SAFE ! And what a wonderful feeling it is. On our street, most people leave their front doors unlocked and their cars parked in the street. There are no burglar guards or security gates. We are obviously careful as one will always find petty crime but the feeling of being safe and secure is simply overwhelming. I have met some great people - not all South Africans but many Aussies and other immigrants too. I am very involved at my daughters' school (all voluntary !) which has been a wonderful way to integrate into the local community.

We left all our family back home, and as our first Christmas here approaches we are especially mindful of this. But if I can offer anyone any reassurance, missing our family and friends has been the only hard thing about our relocation here. It really is all about what you make of it. We came over with an absolute conviction that this is where we want to live and settle; and leaving no "back doors" (i.e. going home was not an option - this had to work !!) has certainly made it that much easier for us. We will never forget our roots and will always be Africans at heart, but this is a land of wonderful opportunities and we are here to stay !

I am very happy to share experiences with other members. Or offer reassurance if you are perhaps feeling unsettled or whatever. Please just write and I will do my best to reply a.s.a.p. and help you along !

Until then .....

Durban Girl

Dedrei

By doing the visa online, I meant that we did not go through a consultant but handled the entire process ourselves. We sourced the information online (and there is so much there), downloaded and printed out the required documents etc. etc. Obviously one cannot escape the actual paper application !

Durban Girl

Hi Durban Girl! Welcome to the Hills!! :closedeyes: You are surrounded by South Africans (so don't "skinner" in the shops in Afrikaans, we'll hear you! :lol:B);) ) Looking forward to meeting you at our next coffee get-together (speaking of which, I should get my act in order and set the date - November is almost gone! B) ) Bring money for cake - LOTS of it!! :huh:;)

Hi Durban Girl,

Welcome to the forum! I'm sure you will be a great help to many people around here. :blush:

Greetings,

Dreamy

Welcome Durban Girl!

Well said! - a great post that would inspire many still to come!

Brissie BUG

Hi Durban Girl welcome to the forum

Edited by aniena