Is there discrimination against 457's

Brissy Bessies

I'm angry and am sitting here wondering if I have a right to be?

We came over to Oz on a 457 (husband's capacity), for the last 6 months I have been contracting in a government organisation, for the last two of those months they have advertised my position internally and externally. I could apply when it was open to external applicants, which I did. My bosses are dead keen to keep me.

After being short listed to the final 4, I have just got an email telling me that due to me not being a permanent resident they cannot offer me this position!

A 457 entitles you to work without restrictions so I am allowed to work just like the next person, right? Will my CV now for future jobs be sent to the back because of my residency?

Edited by Brissy Bessies

You say "government organisation"?

Perhaps that's the issue; some departments only have Aussie's working for them.

I would check first before I vented my anger publicly within the company....

And remember, now that the chips are down globally, some places may well be applying the letter of the law within their workplaces whereas before it may not have been a priority.

Good luck.

I'm angry and am sitting here wondering if I have a right to be?

We came over to Oz on a 457 (husband's capacity), for the last 6 months I have been contracting in a government organisation, for the last two of those months they have advertised my position internally and externally. I could apply when it was open to external applicants, which I did. My bosses are dead keen to keep me.

After being short listed to the final 4, I have just got an email telling me that due to me not being a permanent resident they cannot offer me this position!

A 457 entitles you to work without restrictions so I am allowed to work just like the next person, right? Will my CV now for future jobs be sent to the back because of my residency?

I can totally relate to your frustrations - there does seem to be a bit of a problem with the temporary visa categories in gaining employment. It seems many managers are aware of the PR visa and of course student visas so if you are not on PR then they assume it will cause them problems to employ you e.g. you will have limits on the hours you can work etc - so they then automatically reject you. Hopefully someone will see the light and you can get the role. Sometimes the problem is if the position is advertised as being ongoing - and for a 457 your husband would have a time frame that his employer is sponsoring him for. If that is the reason they didnt choose you, they could always give you a contract for the remainder of your visa time and then when that expires you will hopefully be well on your way to PR.

Good luck.

Thank goodness we have the forum to vent, I wouldn't bother moaning to the company - to them protocols are protocols! And I don't blame them to be honest - they need to look after permanent residents, I can see that but I also feel that somebody should hold some responsibility for the 457's. I really hope our perm res goes through quickly because in my opinion, unless you've been brought over on a 457 earning a huge salary - it just isn't worth it!

Well, some positions will be limited. To work for the military you need to have been a citizen for something like 10 years... and they have SO many positions advertised ;) Oh well..... :D

It might just be company policy not to employ temp visas, purely due to the fact that they fear the partner might ask the company to sponsor for PR, which is extra costs and commitments for them.

I think that it is not knowing the difference between visas. I have applied for several positions and they would come back and say it is not a sponsorship position. I then have to explain the situation to them. After several of this at least I got an interview tomorrow, so Please hold thumbs and say a prayer. ;)

But I also got the idea people would rather have someone with PR. This is very frustrating indeed.

Ronell

Good luck Ronell. Holding thumbs for you. Come drink a coffee tomorrow after your interview and let me know how it went.

Thanks Polly. It is for a great position, so I am praying very hard. Unfortunately only at 4 pm but will make a plan for next week.

Ronell

Hi Brissy,

I have also been turned down for jobs as I am not on PR!!

Will be praying REALLY REALLY hard for you Ronell!

I am waiting until our PR comes through to start hunting.... Being a graduate though puts me in a different market. Lots of competition. If I want to teach again, I have to go study some more, so however it goes, I will have to wait for PR.

Dear BrissyBessie

Unfortunately, most government jobs you must have permanent residence (I would say 99.9%) and some will only employ you if you are a citizen!!!

But no, its not discrimination, its just a fact of life in most countries, that government jobs go to residents of that country.

Good luck with the job hunting

Hi Brissy

I have to say that here where I live, they (Government Institutions) dont even look at Permanent Residency visa applicants either.

Edited by Monica_v_R

Hi Brissy

I have to say that here where I live, they (Government Institutions) dont even look at Permanent Residency visa applicants either.

Not True. When we arrived I was PR and my first job was with a government organisation in Mackay QLD.

The same organisitation also have brought people over form RSA on 457, and converted their visa to PR within 3 months (wish I had know this).

Elsewhere on this thread there is mention of 10 years to join the military, also not true. I know a youngster who arrived as a 457, converted to PR asap and has been here 3 years and is in the Navy. His citizenship was somehow fast tracked as well

BUT I was told

The governement organisations try to find PR because 457 means you could pack up and leave, or not be granted PR and they have wasted money training you etc. I was told by a few families that they had problems getting jobs unitl they were PR for the same reason.

I tried to get them to sponsor a friend of mine.

It is weird logic, becuase even the Aussies born here up and leave jobs quick as a hat for more money shorter hours.

The other thing I was told is that they are obliged to pay for your medical insurance unitl you are PR which is added cost

Hmmm... the ads I saw specified the number of years. Possibly dependent on the direction you want to go in the military?

Great news guys...I just got a call from P&C (people and communications, like HR I think) re: my application for the position. They have just spent two days investigating my case and because they were not fully aware of the implications of a 457 (like someone said) they state permanent resident as they want the applicant to be living in Oz - that's all! They are now even looking at restructuring their online applications to include 'long term temporary residents'!

yahoo :whome:

This is excellent news. Congrats, BB.

Polly, the 10 years citizenship requirement is for jobs requiring security clearance eligibility. Apart from those, you can join the military as a PR.

Dear BrissyBessie

Unfortunately, most government jobs you must have permanent residence (I would say 99.9%) and some will only employ you if you are a citizen!!!

But no, its not discrimination, its just a fact of life in most countries, that government jobs go to residents of that country.

Good luck with the job hunting

Same in the US, government jobs are for citizens only. But to enlist in the army or navy you do not have to be a citizen. Strange.

Hmmm... the ads I saw specified the number of years. Possibly dependent on the direction you want to go in the military?

As I am very sure of what transpired into the case I mentioned I did some looking into it.

The family were granted PR shortly before the son went to the army

It appears there is a lot of flexibility.

The job below i similar to others on the site. A few years ago they started advertising a lot for recruits, and it has started up again.

The PR citizenship requirements are quite flexible.

http://www.defencejobs.gov.au/army/jobs/Mi...alRequirements/

http://www.defencejobs.gov.au/army/jobs/Op...alRequirements/

http://www.defencejobs.gov.au/army/Jobs/ a list I scanned through. The requirements are the same for all I looked at. See above 2 examples of many

The only thing I could find about Pr and length of time is on this page http://www.defencejobs.gov.au/recruitmentC...ts/default.aspx

Non Australian Citizen or Non Permanent Resident without Military Experience

Currently there is no avenue of entry available for you to apply to join the Australian Defence Force. Further information in relation to applying for permanent residency can be found by accessing the Australian Government Department of Immigration and Citizenship website.

Great news guys...I just got a call from P&C

yahoo ;)

I work near the airport in Brisbane and they also call it P&C or People and change who are in Canberra. Some staff here have a different name for the acronym. :o

Glad to hear they became negotiable. It is much about who they want. They have all these rules and unbreakable regulations :blink::ph34r: unitl they cannot get the person they want, then they become more reasonable.

Lucky they know you and want YOU. :o

Does this mean I just have to join for three months and I can get citizenship?

Permanent residents become eligible to apply for citizenship on completion of 3 months service in the ADF or 6 months part-time service in the ADF Reserve