ok, and now for Best aspects of Aus? :)

hDt

hi again,

o.k, had some interesting responses to my post asking about worst aspects of Aus, and now for the flip side :blink:

your 5 best aspects of Aus. judging from this forum, you're probably going to find it difficult to just list 5 :lol:

and don't list 'no crime' as all five your points :huh:

thanks again for your time

me

Best aspects as I see them:-

1. The safety. (I know that you said not to mention crime, but I am going to do so anyway) - After work, I can go for a walk down to the beach without looking over my shoulder. I can leave my clothes, keys and wallet on the beach and go for a swim. When i get back, they are still there.

2. If you have skills, there is no age discrimination. - There is a huge skills shortage in Australia. The government is actively trying to encourage older people with skills to delay their retirement, or else to return from retirement.

3. There is almost no Affirmative Action. - All prospective employers are worried about is "Can you speak English?" and "Can you do the job?" I say "almost no" because there are some jobs in which it is are easier for people of Aboriginal or Torres Strait Island extraction to find employment, but these are generally within those communities. If you have skills, there is no AA. - By skills, I mean qualifications and experience as an engineer (any type), doctor, accountant, motor mechanic, diesel mechanic, carpenter, electrician, plumber among others. Actually, just about all trades are in short supply.

4. The weather. - Australia is so big that there is something for just about everybody's taste. I liked Melbourne's climate when I lived there. - Very northern Mediterranean and with a lifestyle to match. I now live just a bit north of Brisbane. - Very northern KZN-like. I love the autumn, winter and spring. Now I just have to survive the summer! And if a cool, temperate climate really suits you, there is always Tasmania.

5. The wide open space! - Well it is all here! With most of Australia's population living in the "Golden Boomerang" which starts north of Brisbane and goes down to Sydney and then on to Melbourne and on to Adelaide, that equates to one hell of a lot of open space. - OK there is a "spot" in the Perth area too. ;) For those in the cities, all this open space is very easy to reach on good sealed roads. And where those end, there is something for the 4x4 enthusiasts.

Edited by Larry

1. The invention of the swag.

2. The outback.

3. Free or almost free camping

4. Good beer

5. Real people, and especially real men.

Just a few of many good things:

1. Mocha chill - yummy coffee-choc milky drink

2. Spotlight - great craft shop

3. Safe and clean beaches - plus beautiful sunsets in WA

4. Beautiful birds - colourful parrots all over

5. Opportunities - e.g adverts on TV encouraging people to learn new skills for the work place

;) Norman for President!!! The best answer so far! :wacko: Edited by otto

I am going to answer this on a superficial level:

1. Bunnings

2."Australian Story" Monday nights on ABC

3. Watching the antics in Parliament( my daily comedy hour)

4. Glorius weather on the Gold Coast March-mid December

5. Butcher birds and Kookaburra's in my garden

6. Lemons and Mango's from my own garden

7. Rocky Road from Darryl Lea

8. My amazing friends -almost all Ozzies.

9. The beaches so clean that they squeek when you walk on them

10. Fresh fish and prawns off the ski boats

11. Really good looking policemen,gardeners, builders, plumbers, :whome:;)

Well, well, well !!! (Three holes in the ground - I know...)

QG, can I send my wife to get 'enlightenend' re. Bunnings ??? :whome: She thinks its the MOST BORING place on earth (????? :lol: ????) and can't understand my love affair with 'that place' ....

re. Parliament - If you want to see some baboons, you should see NZ Parliament - - - It drive you to tears !!! (One of the reasons I'm on my way to Oz !)

My reasons for moving to Oz:

1> Got a GREAT job (pays is a LOT better than NZ) ;)

2> Weather... Sun !!! GLORIOUS SUN !!!! (Don't understand ? Then live in Auckland for a few years :lol: ) (Wet, wet, wet...)

3> Animals......

(i)Only birds you see in Auckland is Sparrows & Indian Mynah's; Oz has (nearly) ALL the fab birds

(ii) NEVER (in 7 years) saw lizards or frogs in NZ

(iii) NZ has got 25 species of butterflies, about 10 of them introduced, .... and you only see monarchs...

4> Mindset/attitude: Ozzie: Focus on success; NZ: Tall poppy syndrome.

5> Great people, great land, great.... (OK, I'll shut up !)

1. Bunnings

11. Really good looking policemen,gardeners, builders, plumbers, :whome::lol:

QG

Is 11 the reason you love 1 so much .... ;):holy:

Lindy-Lee

:lol:

Yip! There it is- No 11 just takes the tedium out of a mundane situation.

The boring dripping toilet just suddenly looked less boring when the local Adonis of a plumber arrived!!! :whome:

The Beauty & Diversity (Ocean, Desert, Bushland, Tropical Forests, Cliffs, Gorges, Cities, Outback...)

People actually driving AROUND the roundabout - not skipping past on the right-hand side!!!

No Burglar Bars to spoil my view

My garden visitors: Parrots & Cockatoos, Possums, the Frogs in my pond.....

Tolerance, Acceptance & Respect for and by everyone (OK, 99.999999%....)

No K-Taxis

Had to chuckle at this one!! :ilikeit:

I never take for granted the fact that my 8 yr old daughter is able to play outside SAFELY until after dark here in our cul-de-sac with the neighbours' kids... so cool to live in such a safe area / country! :hug: Oh, and the beaches here are g-o-r-g-e-o-u-s ! ;) Oh, oh, oh and the garden services' guys are not too shabby either......................... :D

• Like 1

My garden visitors: Parrots & Cockatoos, Possums, the Frogs in my pond.....

do you live outside of the city Riekie? if i were to go live in Aus, i would love to have some equilibrium - a nice plot just outside of the busy city, so the kids can play outside and get dirty. but close enough to get to proper schools / hospitals / work etc (still want to be a stadsjapie rather than a plaasjapie :hug: )... oh, and broadband an absolute must! :ilikeit:..

That depends on where you end up in Australia.

The cities of Sydney & Melbourne are so big that any country towns are miles from the city centre.

Going to Adelaide, Brisbane, Perth and Hobart, you'll end up getting a few acres in a nice country township only half an hour by car from the city.

These cities tend to be quieter than the great big metropolises, so if you want the "fast life" on your doorstep in a big cosmopolitan city, you have to be prepared to travel a good hour or two to get to everything.

We live about 30km's from the Sydney Harbour Bridge (Sydney CBD). The area is known as part of "the suburbs" and about 10km's further out, the area is referred to as "rural" : large plots, ppl with horses, etc...... We have a large number of reserves & bush-lands right here on our doorstep - in fact we live 1 block away from a reserve! Lots of bird & animal life - we even have a "duck crossing" in our street!! :closedeyes:

• 1 month later...

I live just about 2km west of nothing and not that far from somewhere but I can tell you this :blush:

1) if you need some space there is sure enough to find your spot :ilikeit:

2) No body expects me to provide a living for him because he is to lazy to get off his bum and look after himself, and that include the doll :blink:

3) Safety :holy:

4) Nature variety and lots to see and safe fishing/camping/4x4 WHOe HAAAA!!!! :(:whome:

5) I will deal with the flies any day :angry: