Skills Assesment?

mitch-sa-uk-oz

Hi all, I went for an interview for a job in Oz and asked the interviewer if a skills assesment is required and he said no. I was under the impression I needed one. We are planning on getting a 457 visa. How long do they take (if i need one).

Mitch

Hi

You will only need a skills check if you are being sponsored for permanent residency with the visa, if it is just a long stay business visa (either PR or Business Long stay can on be the 457 visa) then you will not need a skills check but if the visa is for long enough (2years - then you can stil get PR as I understand it).

From what your potential sponsor is saying it seems he is not sponsoring you for a PR.

Read here for more info:

Dima - Visa Options - Employer Sponsored Workers

From what other people have said on the forum it can take anything from 1 to 2 months.

Thanks for the quick reply, used to waiting a day due to the time diff with Oz. So I can go and after 2 years I must get my skills assesed? That seems okay. Doesnt it?

Mitch

Hi

Sorry - I meant to say after 2 years of working in Oz on the 457 Business Long Stay, you can apply for PR without having to ever do a skills assessment. And the 457 application takes 1-2 months, the assessment depends on what skill it is and the complexity of it (I have seen varying timelines here from 1 month to 4 months).

The skills assessment is only if you are being sponsored for a PR upfront ( that would be the 457 Regional Sponsored (RSMS) or the Employer Nomination Scheme (ENS)).

Have read in Booklet 5 I have attached it.

Regards,

N

Edited by NikkiV

DIMA's site states that you do not normally need a skills assessment for a 457, but if your skills are in doubt they reserve the right to request it (I suppose this would be in extreme circumstances where you are going to go work for your uncle as an accountant while you have only ever done gardeing over here) ;)

You need to register for some professional occupations like Teaching and the relevant Teaching Registration Board will assess your skills for registration. Without this registration you will not be able to work at a school. So it depends what type of work you are being sponsored for.