Vegetarian in Sydney - help

sasher

Hi there,

I don't know if anyone can help but I like to try and keep to a vegetarian lifestyle and I must say that I am finding this very difficult in Australia. And it has nothing to do with the fruit and veggies which are superb here but more to do with the dairy products.

In South Africa, the vast majority of cheese that is produced uses a vegetarian rennet because it is apparently cheaper, here however, the opposite is the case. Almost every cheese that I have seen uses the animal type, which for those of you who do not know is made from the lining of a cow or pig's stomach. I have managed to find one Coles tasty cheesy which specifies vegetarian but I am an ardent cheese lover and one type of cheddar does not make me leap for joy.

The other product I am having difficulty with is the yoghurt and margarine. For some unfathomable reason there is gelatine in the Flora and in all the yoghurts. In SA, the smaller size yoghurts don't have gelatine in although the larger sizes do to keep the fruit suspended. I have no idea why it is in the margarine. (Gelatine is made from the hooves of pigs or cows - hence 'trotters' jelly :whome: )

Anyway if there are any other vegetarians out there that can assist with makes of vegetarian cheese, yoghurt and marg, I would appreciate it very much.

S

Hi there

Devondale and Mainland should be available at your Coles, Mainland do a nice vegetarian Edam, South Cape do a nice crumbled feta with non animal rennet.

The bovril here is suitable for vegetarians too.

I am a pesco vegetarian.

You can also get the Frys- special sausages, burgers and sausage rolls here too.

Here is another site which should help Vegetarian food and please read labels carefully here as certain foods you might have eaten in RSA which were veggie might not be here.

Remember in RSA that the brown onion gravy had beef fat but the roast meat gravy didn't!

I spend ages in the supermarket reading ingredients.

Thanks so much for the links - they are very helpful - going to try some of the restaurants too.

You are right Andrea, I spend ages reading labels. I am amazed about the bovril - I would have just assumed that there was some meat product in it.

I'm going shopping! Thanks again

Hi Sasher

Don't try looking for the bovril next to marmite, promite, vegemite etc, you will find it most probably on the top shelf in the aisle where the stock, gravy powders etc are kept.

Do yourself a favour and not waste your money on the sanitarium products- they suck- apart from the " not burgers".

If you do eat Frys- special you will only find the products at Woolworths, some IGA's or Franklins.

If you find any yummy products please let me know, I am still in the infancy of my veggie journey in Australia.

I always thought that RSA was bad for vegetarian products after the choice in the UK- but Australia seems to be worse and try living somewhere like Moranbah where we only have a Coles!

I have to travel 200km to Mackay to get to Woolies and stock up on my burgers and sausages.

When all seems bleak in the veggie world I always think of the show " Little Britain" you know the gay welsh character who likes to say " I am the only gay in the village" and just change it to " I am the only vegetarian in the village!"

Good luck.

Hi Sasher,

I am not a vegetarian but have been to Macro Wholefoods in Bondi Junction (not in Westfield, they are in Oxford Street couple of blocks down). They seem to sell everything, from organic to vegetarian and all kinds of other food that appeal to the enlightened and educated buyer. Check out their website www.macrowholefoods.com.au . Maybe you have some luck with them.

Cheers

J

Thanks J, that's actually just around the corner from me so I think I will pop by this week some time.

I suggest you have a look at the Sheeps cheeses and Sheep yoghurt as most of them usually use a vegetarian rennet. Have a look at your local Harris Farmers. The one in St Ives has a large variety to choose from. You could also have a look at products that are Kosher, they often will also cater to the vegan community. The Franklins in St Ives has a large Kosher section I have even notice some vegan sausages for sale at Harris www.orgran.com an Australian company all their products are vegan. www.iku.com.au is a great vegan take away spot. I’m not vegan myself, but gluten free, cow dairy free , yeast free etc. I have noticed that many of the gluten free products are often also vegan. You could also try Vege Spread by Freedom Foods http://www.freedomfoods.com.au/healthy-pro...e=Vege%20Spread You can buy it in Franklins in St Ives. They have a large health and gluten free section.

Maybe get a yoghurt maker? I know our breadmaker was a great buy, maybe a yoghurtmaker is a good investment?

Found this site about vegetarian cheeses, it is for Victoria, you might have the same brands there

http://www.vnv.org.au/site/index.php?optio...9&Itemid=78

I make Yoghurt every week because of the preservatives and crap in SA Yoghurts. Sasher if you need help, I can assist and tell you how.

Oh no! And here I was hoping that I would make an easy transition from SA to Aus. Must say, I became veggie when I was living in the US and the city I was staying in wasn't too pro vegetarian either. I think if they have Fry's and some nice fruit and veggies I'll be able to survive. We're thinking of going to Brisbane. Anyone know how veggie friendly Brissies is?

I make Yoghurt every week because of the preservatives and crap in SA Yoghurts. Sasher if you need help, I can assist and tell you how.

Thanks Cramer - I wouldn't even know where to start...

Hubby is a vegetarian. Search on line for Australian vegetarian associations. There are a couple and they give great info.

Al