"worst" aspects of Aus?

hDt

hi all,

"elke huis het sy kruis" - South Africa has its crime, corruption, AIDS, ANC-YL, Zuma (;)), Telkom. And unfortunately government is not attending to these issues, so they are not going to get better any time soon.

now, in your view what are Australia's 5 worst problems? not the worst problems regarding emigration like missing family etc. Economic issues, social issues, school system etc etc...

From here I think Aus might run into radical-Muslim issues at some stage? I also heard Aus is not very "technologically advanced"?

In any case, please list the issues you reckon are the worst problems, and then also important, do you think the Aus government is making any immediate/future plans to tackle these problems?

Thanks for your time :lol:

Hugh

Hi Hugh

Not a resident yet, but do follow the Oz news religiously. My 2 cents...

1. Australia has done all the things others countries have done to "warrant" an Al Queda attack... It a lot of people's opinion, it's a matter of time only. BUT... they have beefed up security etc seriously - the government expects it too.

2. Australia relies very heavily on America's trade agreements so tend to get into bed with them quite easily... Often called America's puppet. What this means is that Australia tends to do whatever the USA does... war in Iraq, etc, etc. This affects the situation I mentioned in 1 and is a bit dissapointing at times.

3. Some of the most poisonous / venomous / deadly creepy crawlies and beasts in the world are found abundantly on land and in the sea.

4. Lots of rules... If you like breaking the speed limit, jay-walking, taking the gap - you will have a problem. There are "dob lines" - numbers people can phone to report on their neighbours. This is a glorious situation if you like living in an ordered environment... It just takes the average South African a bit of time (and a few demerits) to adapt.

5. Property prices... Lots said on this all the time on the forums and in their local press. I wouldn't be surprised if we saw something happening soon from government to remedy the situation.

Hope that doesn't make me sound negative... on the contrary, I'm pressing for official "I love Australia" fan club chairman. Thousands of good things to outweigh the 5 above.

Norm

Edited by Norman

On a lighter note:

1. You wait a very long time at traffic lights.

2. Adverts between programmes can take extremely long - increases the time you watch a movie by up to half an hour.

3. Drivers with a P-plate (provisional licence holders) usually driving a white Holden Commodore that drive like hooligans

4. Shops usually close at 5:30 (only on the West coast) and at 5:10 the shop assistants already start closing up and give you the evil eye when you start browsing.

5. Flies in your face!

I don't believe the goverment is doing anything to address any of these issues! ;)

Edited by Yvonne

Wow sounds like Western Aus is very different to NSW.

We only have flies for a month a the most and they really arnt too bad they will be gone by 2 December.

Our supermarkets stay open to midnight every night and alot of moms and working people do their shopping once hubby is home and the kids are in bed.

As far as technology goes Australia is way ahead. I think the misconception comes in that things and people just look really laid back and have kinda a old school approach.

My worst things are "

1. Going to the dr means you get sent for x rays and blood tests and get told to come back nearly everytime you go.

2. Lack of medical facilities for the metally ill.

3. There is nothing like good old Woolies in SA.

PS. I love the rules, everything works and the kids know exactly where they stand.

On a lighter note:

1. You wait a very long time at traffice lights.

2. Adverts between programmes can take extremely long - increases the time you watch a movie by up to half an hour.

3. Drivers with a P-plate (provisional licence holders) usually driving a white Holden Commodore that drive like hooligans

4. Shops usually close at 5:30 (only on the West coast) and at 5:10 the shop assistants already start closing up and give you the evil eye when you start browsing.

5. Flies in your face!

I don't believe the goverment is doing anything to address any of these issues! ;)

1.Adverts. To many and low quality

2.Young, arrogant, P Plate driving fools in a Holden Commodore

3.Price of bananas at the moment

4. lack of vision by Government on Climate Change and what we need to do about it

5. Drought and water management

6.Gold Coast does have State medical problem. Private health Insurance a neccessity

7. Political Correctness gone to far in Schools.

8.Movies like Jackass EVER being made, and a whole subculture of teenagers trying to emulate them.

Teenagers caught up in the whole Afro-American subculture. "Hey Bro ,low slung pants, squiff peak'

9.Swearing. and bad language usage: "How are youse today?We have nuffink to talk about."

Guest Sunshine Sister

Hi there,

What an interesting question.

Ok, current and potential issues Australia faces in my opinion :

1. The big red threat – China. I have been very surprised to see how big the influence is of China here in Australia. I have spoken to many ppl in clothing/appliances/furniture and many have told me how importing from China has changed the way they do business, cut jobs and closed down businesses. This spells trouble in my mind and if ppl aren’t encouraged to buy Australian Made I fear the Australian market won’t be able to keep up with cheaper and often lesser quality imports. I am not sure what the government has in place to protect local businesses, but I haven’t seen huge success in keeping all things Chinese at bay.

2. As already mentioned – water. Not enough of it and as far as I can figure out experts expect things to go from bad to worse.

3. Australian Youth and too little accountability. I for one am not particularly impressed by the youth of Australia. I have seen a number of stories in the press since arriving, where young ppl have committed serious crimes – but instead of society being outraged at their actions, loads of excuses are thought up for their actions. Blaming their upbringing, environment, schooling, parents, etc, instead of keeping children/teenagers accountable for their actions. I also find that there is a general lack of respect – children don’t respect themselves, their parents, their belongings, etc.

4. Medical care – not blown away by the standard of medical care in general. Long waiting lists for procedures, often for old ppl who need to have these procedures done urgently.

5. Over-organized, over-structured red-tape jungle. I am a big fan of living in a structured and organized country but I am afraid they do go a bit far in Australia sometimes. Anything innovative, new or entrepreneurial is choked to death by all of the permits/licenses and red-tape to get it off the ground. In the end it is often easier just to work for a large corporation rather than starting your own enterprise, which I find sad, especially for Saffers who often have strong entrepreneurial drive.

I also agree with most of the others already mentioned.

Love

SS

:blink:

I agree with most about what has been said previously, but particularly with what SS has said. So I would like to enlarge upon what she has said:-

1. The Chinese problem with regard to the clothing industry is big and very real. I am particularly disappointed in Rivers, a Ballarat, Victoria company that supplies apparel and shoes. Since I have been in Australia, I have always bought my shoes from Rivers. A few years ago, I noticed that they were selling were selling jeans and shirts under their label..... At a price premium! :huh: I bought a stylish shirt from one of their Melbourne stores. It didn't wash very well and was hellishly difficult to iron. Only then did I notice the label "Made in China". I don't have any objection to Australian companies charging a premium for their products.... Provided that their products are Australian-made. I still buy my shoes from Rivers.... But I check out that they are "Made in Australia" first! :P If I want to buy Chinese made clothes, I can always get them from the "Red Spot Boutique" (Target) without paying a premium. :lol:

2. Water..... Australian politicians don't have the guts to address the problem. I feel that the electorate is to blame for that. Not long ago, the WA (Western Australian) leader of the opposition suggested that, if he won the election, he would look at diverting some of the water that flows out into the Timor Sea down to Perth via a series of pipelines and channels. - Loads of good, fresh water flows out of the Kimberleys and the Northern Territory into the Timor Sea. - He was slayed in the polls. - He hadn't priced the proposal fully and in any case, it would have been prohibitively expensive (in the premier's eyes). - One guy shows a bit of forward thought, and they shoot him down! :blink:

3. Australian youth are taught heaps about their rights....... And very little about the responsibilities that go with those rights!

4. Medical care isn't bad. - Provided that you have private medical cover. If you are an individual who earns more than $50,000 per annum or a couple who earn more than $100,000 per annum, you are hit with an additional Medicare levy if you don't have private medical cover. The state-funded Medicare doesn't provide dental cover (except for primary school kids). There are also long waiting lists for non-emergency surgery and elective surgery.

5. Red Tape. - Another of my pet hates. You need a permit to do just about anything. One day you might even need a permit to fart! But it isn't all bad. - The regulations give me ammunition to fend off petty politicians (city councillors) who want me to do ridiculous things in the interests of road safety. - Like slowing the speed limit on a major arterial to 50 km/h because some wealthy man felt that the traffic noise was adversely affecting his quality of life. The regulations told me that 50 km/h was not appropriate and so the speed limit stayed as it was. (60 km/h)

6. This is my own one and it is a spin-off from 5. - Speed limits that are so strictly enforced that most motorists treat them as a "target speed" and don't drive at safe speeds for the conditions. If we want people to "drive to the conditions", then we have to treat them like adults and allow a bit of leeway in the enforcement of speed limits. A little bit of flexibility in the setting of speed limits wouldn't go amiss either!

Edited by Larry

Guest Bronwyn

I'm going to go out on a limb here and mention something strange that I have noticed about a lot of Australians. Bear in mind I still live in S. Africa, so I am talking about my experiences on 2 holidays and a few phone calls to schools, govt. agencies, etc., which is not comprehensive.

I've noticed that everyone does his or her job. Well. But they don't seem to have any inclination to give you any information not pertaining to that SPECIFIC job. How can I explain?

We once asked a Chinese hotel official if there was a nice place nearby to eat Chinese food. He insisted on caling the manager to help us. We said, no, just tell us where you eat if you want Chinese, but he was floored. :blink:

If we phone a bank and ask a general enquiry person whether there is a better credit interest than the 0,01% we were offered on our new current account, they transfer us from Melbourne to Sydney to speak to an investment official... :huh: What do general enquiry people DO then?

If I ask a school receptionist what date the term ends, she transfers me to the admissions official.. :cry:

I think if I were to ask someone the time they would give me a website address to consult (or, rather, put me through to the person who can give me the website address :P )

The other day I got through to a lady at ANZ who was obviously British and not Australian. The difference in her attitute was marked. She was so friendly, asking me about the time here, the weather, etc.

I have had the same experiences with realtors ("not my geographical area, person off sick, e-mail her and maybe she will come back to you next week" (PS. Never come back...). I asked one the bank interest rates on Mortgages but she had no idea. Surely as a house salesperson she would have SOME idea???

I don't know why there is this little quirk that a lot of people are like automatons, or 'Stepford Officials', as we jokingly call them. Having said that they do their jobs very well, but only THEIR jobs, no more, no less. They don't show any LIFE. :P

Is it just me??? :lol:

Bronwyn

Edited by Bronwyn

The big red threat – China

i heard a while ago though, Aus is aligning themselves for future relationships with China, by offering Chinese as a language in schools? anyone know about this? Would be impressive if public schools offer it.

I don’t think I will be very popular after this post but I suppose that is just one of those things, here are some of my replies.

You guys fear China or Chinese products, lets face it the Chinese Textile Industry WILL and IS taking over the world even South Africa no country will be able to stop them, the fact that it is a concern is true and I agree but it is not just a Aussie problem.

Water, I must agree with all of you 100% it is such a cheap commodity in Oz and I think that is one of the problems!!

Aussie Youth, ya sure some of them is real scum bags and what one can call white trash but this is also a world problem even in good old SA. My brother is a teacher in one of Pretoria’s schools and he told me just this week that he wants to get out of teaching as the kids has just no respect for there seniors anymore, and this is one of the “good” schools!! You also get a lot of very good kids in Oz and personally I think it is more a question of “Look at the parents before you look at the syndrome”

When I was still a kid the school and the church and things like that still played a huge role in the upbringing of a kid and this has changed in SA and in Oz I think, parents now play a mush bigger role then before.

Medicare, I suppose it has its snags but SA does not even have a system like that. This is why the Aussie government is encouraging people to get some form of private health care witch I think is a good thing. I was and still is involved in the private health care industry in South Africa and believe me if I tell you that in the near future you will be paying a hell of a lot of money for your top of the range medical cover as those options are getting just to costly for the funders to sustain them anymore. The lower segment patients of the medical insurance industry is just costing them to much and now I am talking about funders like Discovery Health that is feeling the strain at present. Top cover will become less and patients will be paying more out of there own pockets just one example is what the new dispensing laws was implemented the private health care company I worked for just said that the patient will have to pay for it in increased levys I and was personally involved in the roll out and changes in there It systems what this happed. Don’t for one moment think the big private health care providers in SA is willing to take a knock in there annual gross turnover!!

So now you can have a go at me.

:blink::lol::huh::P:cry::P

So now you can have a go at me.

:blink::lol::huh::P:cry::P

On the contrary... I agree with you 100%. These are world-wide problems and not specific to Australia only. I do think, though, that Australia is dealing with them in a better way than most other countries.

Norm

Guest Sunshine Sister

Hi there,

Yes hDt, my kids do Mandarin at school (not State school) - they start in their Kindy year. From year 5 they can also take Japanese if they are interested.

Hi JohanK,

Sorry, but I didn't understand this thread to be about comparing Australia to South Africa, nor about which problems are unique to only Australia. In my understanding the question was which problems do you think Australia faces.

In Europe most countries have protective legislation and high taxes on all kinds of products imported from China, to ensure good quality and of course to protect local manufacturers. Australia is going to have to enforce something similar to ensure the survival of local products. I am sure you are right on the money about South African children, but that does not change my opinion on the Youth of Australia. I have had private medical coverage everywhere I have gone and even tho' this is not the most expensive we have ever paid, it is far from what I have come to expect from a first world country, regardless of what goes on in SA.

Now I am interested to see your answer to the question - what do you see as the 5 biggest challenges/problems Australia faces ?

Love

SS

i heard a while ago though, Aus is aligning themselves for future relationships with China, by offering Chinese as a language in schools? anyone know about this? Would be impressive if public schools offer it.

In my humble opinion, command of the Mandarin language will be an essential skill in future, so I think it's an excellent idea for kids to learn this language at school. Empires have risen and fallen throughout human history and will continue to do so. e.g. compare Italy today to the once mighty Roman empire. The USA is the modern equivalent of the ancient Roman empire and my feeling is that China is slowly busy morphing into the world's nr. 1 superpower. At least they know how to accomplish that, as I'm sure their strategists have all read "The Art of war" by Sun Tzu. The text is available here and is great reading.

As for Mandarin itself, I can highly recommend the studying thereof and it is not that difficult. Very different from any Western language, yes, but a most enriching experience. Those of you here in S.A. who are interested, can contact Ms. Laurie Chou at UNISA, chouy@unisa.ac.za, the next UNISA course starts in Feb. 2007. Although UNISA supplies a textbook, the following supplementary book is most useful: Reading & Writing Chinese, by William McNaughton & Li Yang.

Be aware that Chinese characters are both traditional and simplified. Traditional characters are mainly used in Hong Kong and Taiwan, while the government in Beijing recommends simplified characters. In the end it's a personal choice.

Chinese Pod is an excellent website where you can learn Mandarin on your terms.

Edited by Springbok

SS

You mention the following “Sorry, but I didn't understand this thread to be about comparing Australia to South Africa” and yes you are correct, seeing that I am not so well travelled as yourself, unfortunately my only frame of reference is South Africa.

Then I see you mentioning the following “In Europe most countries have protective legislation and high taxes on all kinds of products imported from China” I also did not understand this thread to be compared to Europe?

Regarding the Youth of Australia, I don’t want to change your opinion of them as it is yours and you are entitled to it just as I am entitled to mine!!

Regarding the medical cover, as you say it is not the most expensive you have ever paid for but still we expect the best coverage?

My 5 biggest challenges Australia faces, if you look at my post you will see that I do agree on the water issue 100% so that makes it one.

Two: Centrelink don’t agree with giving people money for doing nothing but this is something the Government will not be able to change in a day, at least they are trying to get people to work some amount of hours per week these days.

Three: The Australian Labour Party is of concern to myself but luckily they don’t govern this county at present!!!

Unfortunately that is all the serious issues that concern me at present!!

JK

1 THEY PUSH THIS AUSSIE PRIDE THING A BIT FAR SOMETIMES :lol:

2 YOUNG HOONS SHOULD CAINED[i HATE PPL THAT MISUSE V8 MOTOR CARS] :angry:

3 TONGUE STUDS [sHOULD BE RIPPED OUT WITH A DRAADTANG] :lol:

4 THE HOUSES ARE IN SOME PLACES LIKE SHOEBOXES [NOT IN SIZE,,BUT THE LACK OF BRICKS] :blink:

5 EVERBODY LOVES TO JUMP ON THE BANDWAGON [JUST WATCH A CURRENT AFAIR] :huh:

6 CONDITIONS APPY [LICENCE TO BE SKELM] :D

7 FENCES REALLY ARE UGLY[EVEN VIBOCRETE IS PRETTY AGAINST SOME OF AUSSIE FENCES] :cry:

8 THIS MAKE AN APPIONTMENT BEFORE YOU VISIT REALLY SUCKS [WHAT HAPPENED TO KOM ONS GAAN SE HALLO VIR KOOS EN ANNA] :P

9 I HAVE TO FILL MY OWN CAR[WE NEED PETROL JOCKEYS] IT CAN BE DONE :(

10 THE SPEED LIMIT ON A OPEN ROAD IS MOSTLY 100KPM [THAT SUCKS] :o

11 ROUNDEBOUTS IT DRIVES ME CRAZY :P:o:P

1. Flies

2. Fire bans when you want to braai

3. Flies

Guest Sunshine Sister

Hi JohanK,

SS

You mention the following “Sorry, but I didn't understand this thread to be about comparing Australia to South Africa” and yes you are correct, seeing that I am not so well travelled as yourself, unfortunately my only frame of reference is South Africa.

Being well-travelled or not is not the issue, I was pointing out that your answer was actually off topic.

Then I see you mentioning the following “In Europe most countries have protective legislation and high taxes on all kinds of products imported from China” I also did not understand this thread to be compared to Europe?

Please look at my original answer where no comparisons were drawn. I only drew a comparison between Australia and Europe in my response to you in an attempt to explain my point of view further.

Regarding the medical cover, as you say it is not the most expensive you have ever paid for but still we expect the best coverage?

I never said I expect the best coverage, I expect the same care that other first world countries offer. The only reason our medical coverage is lower in Australia is because the general cost of living is lower and the medical coverage is in line with that.

I didn't mind your critical analysis of my original list of 5 aspects as I am always up for a sensible debate, but in my humble opinion your defensive stance keeps you from objectively looking at the issues mentioned. I was blown away by the aspects mentioned by someone still in SA (sorry I can't remember who it was now - was it Norman ?). I am extremely impressed that you have such an accurate view of what goes on here, even tho' you don't live here yet, good on you !!

I forgot to mention Larry earlier, thanks for your contribution, all very interesting.

Love

SS

;)

You know what SS my love, lets rather leave it at that as we will never agree on the mentioned topics and I can see this is just going to get ugly, so lets agree to disagree as you are taking this thing way to personal and the ;) between us will just be ugly!!

:wacko:

My personal TOP 5:

Youth with NO respect - not for adults, authority, the law, road rules or common decency (Although in the minority)

Drought

Threat of Terrorism

Red Tape & Rules (some bordering on being ridiculous)

Shopping Trolleys

ons is nou 4 maande hier so ek vlieg nog op die 7 hemel wolkie en geniet aus baie...

MAAR daar is goed waarmee ek heelhartig saamstem

1. soos die blerry P platers ;)

2. die belaglike spoedgrens wat ek rerig hard probeer om nie te breek nie!! want die polisie is om elke hoek en draa!

3. die duur huise! :closedeyes:

4. die ongelooflike hoeveelhede junkmail wat ek elke dag uit my posbus haal! :huh:

dis dit van my kant vir nou!

corne'

No mampoer

Ai, dit vat so min om 'n man "happy" te hou! :closedeyes: (Al ooit gedink om jou eie keteltjie daar in die "basement" aanmekaar te slaan?...... :huh: )

:ilikeit: haha Too true

A friend of mine's got a basement brewery. I've been trying to get him to make some mampoer, but he's obsessed with making his perfect Dutch beer.

2. die belaglike spoedgrens wat ek rerig hard probeer om nie te breek nie!! want die polisie is om elke hoek en draa!

Probeer 'n Road Angel in jou kar - dit waarsku jou o.m. van verkeerskamera's.