jvdb: Hello from new guy!

jvdb

Hi there,

I am new to this forum and would like to introduce myself. I am looking at moving to Oz, but have to say that I have only just started looking so I don't know much about the whole process etc, and was hoping to get some pointers from this forum.

I have 5 years working experience in I.T. (degree and Oracle and Microsoft certifications), and my wife is a Teacher (also B.Sc degree and Teachers diploma). I am going through all the information on http://www.immi.gov.au, but there is so much to go through it will take me a while!

I think (and this is where I need the help please!) that we can apply for two types of visas, 136 and 457.

1) What is the difference between the two?

2) How long does the whole process take 'till you can move over from the time they receive your application?

Hope to hear from you guys soon!

Cheers,

J.

HI and welcome to our forum!!

Basically the 457 visa is a temp visa for 4months up to 4 years and the 136 is a permanent visa. 457 visa applications get processed very quickly, around 4-6 weeks and the PR visa can be anything from 6 months.

Hi J,

For a 457 visa, you get sponsored by an employer on this side. It is the quickest, cheapest way to get into Aus, and with your (both) qualifications, you should not have a problem in finding a sponsor. Can't tell you much about 136 though ;) other than that it is PR visa, and if you can get in on that, you will have a lot of privileges that you won't have on a 457.

Greetings,

Dreamy

Hi everyone,

Thanks for all the replies.

Can anyone give me some pointers on how to get an Australian employer to even consider sponsoring someone from SA? Do I just send my CV to as many Australian recruitment agencies as I can and hope for the best :lol: , or is there a more efficient way?

On that, do they have a certain format your CV/resume must be in to be accepted?

Thanks for the post Dreamcatcher, can you maybe give some examples as to what privileges 136 are entitled to that 457 is not?

Can you apply for your 136 while you're in OZ if you get a 457 ... (look at me! already talking in "visa code"!) ... ;)

Guess I should probably have to post in a different forum if I'm going to continue asking these questions...

Well, I'm off to go and see the Boks whip some Irish arse (hopefully)! Speak to you soon!

Cheers,

J.

Hi J,

If you want to get a job in Aus, you need to get your info out there. Someone has posted a sample resumé on the forum. Here they don't call it a CV, but we did not even know that, and we got a job! Send your shortened CV, together with a cover letter (better not too mention crime or AA - they don't really understand) to all the recruitment agencies, but also directly to any companies in your field. Look them up on the web, they usually have a "contact us" section, and then send your stuff to them. Keep going :blink: . Don't give up if you don't hear anything.

When you are on 457, you don't qualify for Medicare, and you cannot work for government agencies. In some states you have to pay full school fees. You can only have loans, like car loans, for the duration of your visa, ours is four years. You can only buy a house if you can supply a 20% deposit. None of this is necessarily bad, just inconvenient at times. We are just so glad to be in Aus, that we are willing to put up with this. Sometimes I do get a bit frustrated, but we work through it. You can apply for a PR visa while in Aus on a 457. If you qualify, you can start right away, we don't so we have to wait two years before we can apply for PR.

Hope that helps.

Greetings,

Dreamy

Well, I'm off to go and see the Boks whip some Irish arse (hopefully)! Speak to you soon!

32-15 was indeed a good whipping....... Unfortunately, it was the Irish who were the whippers and the South Africans the whippees! :blink: