Baking

Antoinette

Is it just me or does the flour in Oz give different results when baking. I find I have to use about 20% less of Oz flour in my RSA recipes. It is as if the flour is more dense or something. And I have a feeling that the baking powder is not as strong. I cannot even bake nice crumpets. They taste dry and lumpy. (They call it pikelets here) How do you get around this problem?

Antoinette,

from your description it appears that you are using flour with higher gluten content than what you are used to. The higher gluten content gives hardness, elasticity and "dryness" to your baked goods. Low gluten flower will result in more light-textured products and is suited for pastries and cakes.

From personal experience, SA flour generally has exceptionally low gluten content, and this was always a big problem for me when trying to bake something like Bretzels.

Although I haven't baked in Oz much and am unfamiliar with the local flour types, I'd suggest using a flour which has a low type number (like 405 or 45, or gluten/protein content of less than 9%). Pastry flour, cake flour, low-gluten flower, low extraction rate flour, low ash flour, would all be synonyms and suitable for your needs.

I had the same problem when I came. I'd bought a home brand and that was the worst cake i'd ever baked. Next I tried the Organic homebrand, wasn't happy with the results. I then tried White Wings brand and its working great :):ilikeit: try it. I have had to buy small quantities of grocery items so I can try them out. I miss Snowflake!!!!

Regards

Corah

The things they never tell you on other migration sites :)