Migration agent or 'DIY'?

MHar

Hi there All,

This might be a funny question, but we were wondering if a migration agent is really important or can one 'do it yourself'? We will be applying for a 163 Visa. I did find info on the Queensland gov. web page (we are planning to go to Brisbane), but it seems very overwhelming. If there is anyone that did 'do it themselves' I would appreciate it if you would share your thoughts regarding the process. For everyone out there that used agents, we are in Pretoria and would welcome any suggestions or a referal to agents that knows what they are doing. It is difficult to try and figure out who to trust, the last thing one wants is more chaos than is normal.

We were in Brisbane in Feb and absolutely love the place. We can hardly wait...but apparently it can take up to 8-12 months if we are lucky. The sooner we start the better.

Hope someone can help. Thanks

Michelle

Hi - We applied ourselves. Just read the web and followed the instructions. Have lodged the Employer nominated 120 (Gov sponsored) and have a case officer. Have been asked to go for medicals now.......

Had to get my qualification assessed in Oz, got my QLD registration, Unabridged Birth and marriage certificates, work references, proof of current employment, Did the IELTS (hubby as well) got letters from my sons school/varsity about being educated in english. It was a lot of work but I suspect an agent is rather costly and on top of the other costs it can get quite hectic.

I am not sure what the 163 visa is?

Good luck

K

Edited by We R Going!

If you have a straightforward application and you meet the criteria, than DIY. You'll save some much needed R's.

Been a recent posting in the same line:

http://www.saaustralia.org/index.php?showtopic=22067&hl=

I have done it myself and personally think there is no reason why you need to use them. Between the forum and the DIAC site you will find all the info you need. There are enough of us who have done it ourselces and who will be willing

to share just put up your hand.

Been a recent posting in the same line:

http://www.saaustralia.org/index.php?showtopic=22067&hl=

I have done it myself and personally think there is no reason why you need to use them. Between the forum and the DIAC site you will find all the info you need. There are enough of us who have done it ourselces and who will be willing

to share just put up your hand.

Thank you, that would be a great help.

M

I also did mine myself, it really is easier than you think. You just have to read, read and read some more, but all the information is available.

We applied for 475 and used an agent, Fiona Carre. She has been brilliant so far. If you decide to use an agent, contact her - she's great! She made the whole process seem very easy. She is on this forum.

x netta

I think most of us in SA are used to incompetence...therefore we want to go the agent route so there is someone to follow up with / shout at etc. But we are more than half way through the process, and I must say if I had to do it again I would DIY. This forum is AMAZING with info. I go to know more thing here even before the agents knew! And the people in Australia are REALLY helpfull. You can always phone if you feel a bit overwhelmed - or just post a question on the forum. Just my opinion..

Thanks everyone for your opinions. My husband decided to go with an agent, he felt that his situation calls for it.

thanks again.

M

Thanks everyone for your opinions. My husband decided to go with an agent, he felt that his situation calls for it.

thanks again.

M

Well done on deciding, we also went with an agent - this is a life changing decision and u dont need the extra stress

of possibly getting things wrong. There is also a high failure rate for ppl who DIY, see AU article below:

I know plenty of ppl have gone DIY and had successful results but for some it wont be like that.

Up to 50% DIY Visa Applicants Fail

Industry feedback has indicated that an estimated 30% of all applicants who lodge their application online and directly with the immigration authorities get it WRONG AND FAIL because they did not use a registered migration agent to compile and double check their application and immigration eligibility first.

It is estimated that a further 20% of applicants who do not use an agent become confused and frustrated with the application process and find it difficult or impossible to get answers to their specific concerns or questions from the immigration authorities. As a result, they unnecessarily drop out of the application process.

Overall, this equates to an estimated up to 50% FAILURE RATE for "do-it-yourself" applicants applying directly to the immigration authorities.

Edited by Serendipity0027

You know how it is, as soon as you say you gonna do something, someone always knows somebody from somewhere that had a horror story (as I’m sure many have experienced first hand). Well that’s a bummer, but there are also lots of success stories, we’re gonna be one of those :)

With no qualifications between us, and trying to find a route, we were quite prepared to do the whole application on our own but the agency that we did finally sign up with, and we spoke to a few, were the only ones that saw our ‘in’ – so for that we paid them a fortune of money to help, and it has been nice to have the help of people who do this for a living but it can be done on one’s own steam for sure.

Added:

What have we learned from the experience thus far: When everybody says you can't, you can!

post-5933-1237535494.jpg

Edited by MelG

Hi all

Thanks again for all the opinions. Like I mentioned earlier my husband went with an agent. We thought that we were going to have to apply for a business visa, but the agent recommended the skilled sponsored visa (176). For now I am somewhat glad that we went with him because this seems to be a better visa than the Business one. We just started so it will take awhile. Luckily my husbands skills are on the critical list, so that is one positive, it seems.

M