Travel JHB to Durban

bluebonnet

I have a question about travelling on my own from JHB to Durban. I plan to fly to Johannesburg, visit friends and family there, and then drive to Durban on my own, well maybe my teenage son will come along, not sure yet. This will now be this December. Anyway, would this be recommended, or not? I have not been back to SA for 11 years, so have no idea anymore. Some 18 years ago I travelled by ship from Europe (Italy)to Cape Town, rented a car and travelled the Garden Route to Durban,,just myself and my little girl. I really took my time, 2 weeks or more from Cape Town to Dbn. and had a wonderful time, not worried once about our safety. I guess it is a different story today. Now I am somewhat uncertain about just travelling from Jhb. to Dbn.

Edwina

The national roads from Johannesburg to Durban are excellent... need to take some cash for toll fees, these are extornately expensive...

These dual roads, almost freeways for 500km... or more

No worries.. only problem would be in Durban.. drivers are better than Capetonians but not as good as Jhb drivers... don't worry about hijacking...everybody drives 140km +... on this national roads...

joefromsa

Ditto

Also, make sure you stop for(petrol/diesel/food/bathroom) that are too far out from the national road. Bergview is a good half-way stop.

Done this route many times. No problems at all.

Make sure you stop at the Butterfly Gardens near Pietermaritzburg. It is lovely, the butterflies are so numerous, they land on you. My kids thought it was fantastic

Thanks so much for the replies. :ilikeit: I am used to the toll fees from the US, it adds up and can be real expensive. Bergview does not ring a bell, I will keep that in mind. In my school days, ages ago, we use to travel to Durban from Benoni every year, same story, Christmas was spend in Durban, it was tradition, until my parents finally moved there. Our famous stop was at Van Reenens Pass, and also at Howick. Maybe some places but I cannot remember.

O now I am really getting excited going back to visit. Cannot wait. :ilikeit:

Make sure you stop at the Butterfly Gardens near Pietermaritzburg. It is lovely, the butterflies are so numerous, they land on you. My kids thought it was fantastic

This sounds great, I WILL make a stop there.

joefromsa

joefromsa I believe you MUST have miss-typed It should be not as BAD as Jhb drivers!!! ;):ilikeit::lol:

No miss-type... my pov...

In SA, the drivers in Gauuuu teeeng are TRULY the best....

the worst are Capetonians... (my reason for leaving SA)

the Durbanites are not bad, but have no road manners...

Edwina

Hope you aren't gonna be caught up in the Christmas rush. EVERYONE fron Jhb comes to Durbs :ilikeit:

Jhb schools close on 11 December 2009.

Actually this year looks like all schools close on the same date.

Good luck.

Edwina

Hope you aren't gonna be caught up in the Christmas rush. EVERYONE fron Jhb comes to Durbs :ilikeit:

Jhb schools close on 11 December 2009.

Actually this year looks like all schools close on the same date.

Good luck.

OOOOOOOOOOOOO sounds scary. Our schools are out on the 18th Dec. so I have no other choice. But I am use to rush and push and mass tourism. I went to Italy a little while ago, Rome was like nothing I have ever seen. The traffic....scary. The Vatican,,thousands and thousands of people. Came back from Egypt 3 weeks ago, never seen anything like that either, the queue to see King Tut's tomb was so long we had to stand in line for an hour. Our guide suggested the next day it is better to get up at 4am so we could beat everyone else to Abu Simbel Temple. Buses and people everywhere, you almost forget why you actually came all the way to Egypt. This is the world we are living in today. People travel and go nice places, so the people from Johannesburg like to go to Durban to spend Christmas at the beach. Thats nice. We did the same too, many years ago.

So that will not bother me at all. It is part of the package. ;) The only thing that scares me is the crime. :lol:

Take the bus (Greyhound, Translux etc) from Jhb to Durban.

I have a question about travelling on my own from JHB to Durban. I plan to fly to Johannesburg, visit friends and family there, and then drive to Durban on my own, well maybe my teenage son will come along, not sure yet. This will now be this December. Anyway, would this be recommended, or not? I have not been back to SA for 11 years, so have no idea anymore. Some 18 years ago I travelled by ship from Europe (Italy)to Cape Town, rented a car and travelled the Garden Route to Durban,,just myself and my little girl. I really took my time, 2 weeks or more from Cape Town to Dbn. and had a wonderful time, not worried once about our safety. I guess it is a different story today. Now I am somewhat uncertain about just travelling from Jhb. to Dbn.

Take the bus (Greyhound, Translux etc) from Jhb to Durban.

I am not so sure about the buses in SA. I know that is what we do here in Switzerland, but SA?? Is there a reason for you recommending a bus? I think I prefer to drive.

I would take the bus as a woman travelling alone. It depends on whether it is convient enough for someone to drop you off at the station in Jhb and also again for someone to collect you in Durban. Or organise a hire car in Durban.

I am not so sure about the buses in SA. I know that is what we do here in Switzerland, but SA?? Is there a reason for you recommending a bus? I think I prefer to drive.

I did not have a very good experience with Greyhound bus service in South Africa. About 3 years ago on holiday I decided to catch the Greyhound bus from Vryheid to Pretoria - on the Durban Johannesburg route of course. I booked and paid for the tickets on the Internet in Aus and when I went to collect my prepaid tickets at the recommended kiosk in RSA the clerk had no idea how to print them off and demanded I ‘must pay nowâ€. After a bit of pleading I got her to get the supervisor who eventually sorted it all out.

The bus that was due to pick us up was more than 4 hours late. After waiting in the hot sun for hours the local Greyhound representative arrived to inform us that the bus had broken down in Empangeni and they had to send a new bus from Durban. The new bus came to pick arrived to pick us op 6.30pm when it was due to depart at 2pm in the afternoon. To cut a long story short we finally got to Jhb after 2am in the morning. It stops in every single town along the way and it was cramped and didn’t feel safe at all - the driver was going like a bat out of hell to try and make up lost time. I would never do that again. In my opinion flying or driving is a far better option unless you are on a strict budget.

Others may have had a more positive experience though...

Whatever you decide hope you have a great trip Edwina.

I would take the bus as a woman travelling alone. It depends on whether it is convient enough for someone to drop you off at the station in Jhb and also again for someone to collect you in Durban. Or organise a hire car in Durban.

I did not have a very good experience with Greyhound bus service in South Africa. About 3 years ago on holiday I decided to catch the Greyhound bus from Vryheid to Pretoria - on the Durban Johannesburg route of course. I booked and paid for the tickets on the Internet in Aus and when I went to collect my prepaid tickets at the recommended kiosk in RSA the clerk had no idea how to print them off and demanded I ‘must pay nowâ€. After a bit of pleading I got her to get the supervisor who eventually sorted it all out.

The bus that was due to pick us up was more than 4 hours late. After waiting in the hot sun for hours the local Greyhound representative arrived to inform us that the bus had broken down in Empangeni and they had to send a new bus from Durban. The new bus came to pick arrived to pick us op 6.30pm when it was due to depart at 2pm in the afternoon. To cut a long story short we finally got to Jhb after 2am in the morning. It stops in every single town along the way and it was cramped and didn’t feel safe at all - the driver was going like a bat out of hell to try and make up lost time. I would never do that again. In my opinion flying or driving is a far better option unless you are on a strict budget.

Others may have had a more positive experience though...

Whatever you decide hope you have a great trip Edwina.

Thanks, I am not surprised to read about your experience. Made up my mind anyway, I will drive. Maybe take a friend with, but I will drive. I plan to "visit" all the way there anyway. I have a few places in mind where I would like to stop. :) I have so many memories, and it looks like this will be my last visit to SA. Hopefully family will come see me then here in Europe.