boerewors, pork sausage and other yummy recipes

AndreaL

Hello everyone

I finally got hog casings from the butcher and am looking for some fabulous sausage recipes.

( I did nearly die as he charged $40- they are preserved in salt and there seems to be a lot of them)

Of course I would like a winner boerewors recipe ( Lyall, care to share yours?)

An English pork sausage recipe or similar to Eskort pork sausages( I tried to find this recipe on-line but it is top secret)

and

any other winner sausage recipes you would care to share.

Please try and suggest the best type of meat i.e. pork shoulder etc available in Australia and any spices I may need to substitute.

Also for the super cooks out there, do any of you have a black pudding recipe ( preferably Scottish) and if I want to make droe wors- what should I do and is it possible with the weather here in Queensland? ( See I am a complete dummy)

Does anyone know how to make chilli bites too.

Remember this is virgin territory for a dedicated vegetarian like myself- but I am tired of hubby complaining about the sausages here.

If you have any other dynamite recipes you would care to share please do.

I have searched the net but suspect I will get the best recipes from my forum friends.

p.s. Idiot proof recipes please, as I will be consuming a lot of red wine during the process.

Thanks- I will share the winning recipe ( according to the South Africans in Moranbah) with you all.

D-day for the great sausage making day is two weekends away.

You gave such good info on the IELTS tests the other day, thought I'll return the favour.

My advise is to keep it simple, the attached recipies is good.

For the chilli bites, I get the Freddy Hurch chilli bite spice from SA, (you can take them on the plane if you know anybody frequenting SA), the local spices is crap (imo). I make use of the local fruit dryers (the round one with the trays). Works excellent, chilli bites ready within a day.

Buy the corned beef, cut to size. Mix the spices (not too much) in the meat and add brown vinegar. Let it soak overnight (in the fridge), pack in dryer. As easy as that.

Note; use the dryer at the lowest speed, that little heater in the fan is potent.

Enjoy! :lol:

en o ja, leer die kinders van kleins af

post-11133-1237010204.jpg

Barries

Edited by Barries

How do I attach a document? I uploaded but nothing... it's a pdf

Barries, upload, then click on "Manage Current Attachments" and add the link to the attachment in your post.

I'm also following this topic with much interest. Tried making biltong from corned beef (pre-soaked in brine and spices) and from the same cut of fresh beef, according to the book "Make Your Own Biltong and Droewors", published by Struik : http://books.google.com/books?hl=en&id...=result#PPP1,M1

I can't get the spices quite right though. Air-drying works well in Perth, but I will soon build a box with a 40W light-bulb for more consistent drying anyway. I think a box or a dedicated dryer is a must in the humidity of Queensland. Chili-sticks is also our favourite, and I'd love to get the spice mix recipe for that.

There is hope... the best biltong I've ever eaten was made by the SA shop in Joondalup. Excellent spicing, with emphasis on lots of black pepper.

Andrea, let me know if you'd also like some authentic Bratwurst recipes, from a butcher in the Black Forest.

Omzig

I uploaded, but it does not show in the "manage current attachments" tab even though it is shown as uploaded in my profile?? I also have the Attachment system ready tick.

wrt biltong spices, I only use black pepper and corriander (with the corned beef). It doesn't realy work for game but it's my prefered mix for beef biltong.

I would like a copy of that Bratwurst recipe please.

Barries

I uploaded, but it does not show in the "manage current attachments" tab even though it is shown as uploaded in my profile?? I also have the Attachment system ready tick.

I would like a copy of that Bratwurst recipe please.

Strange, should work. Perhaps there is some space restriction?

The Bratwurst is a traditional German pork sausage but it's quite unlike the English bangers.

Meat:

3 parts pork shoulder mixed with 2 parts pork belly (for the fat that makes things tasty)

Additions:

for every kilogram of meat, use:

the contents of 1 whole egg

20 gr. salt

5 gr. ground pepper

0.25 gr. ground nutmeg

Chop-up the meat, spice, mix, mince, add the eggs, mix, stuff...

Here is an excellent sequence of photos of someone making Bratwurst according to a very similar recipe: http://www.chefkoch.de/forum/2,70,296496/forum.html It also shows the correct sizing after the stuffing.

Edited by Omzig

Hi, Barries asked me to upload the file, but I am also having problems doing this... So, here they are (typed out) instead. Thank you Barries for sharing!

Traditional Boerewors

This recipe took the first prize in a country-wide boerewors competition. Try it - it's delicious!

2 kg beef

1 kg pork

20 g whole coriander (50 ml)

2 ml ground cloves

2 ml grated nutmeg

30 g fine salt (25 ml)

5 ml freshly ground black pepper

500 g speck

100 ml vinegar

approximately 90 g casings

First prepare the coriander by scorching, grinding and sifting it. Cut the meat into 50 mm cubes and combine with the spices and seasoning. Mince the meat and dice the speck. Add speck and vinegar to the minced meat and mix lightly but thoroughly. Loosely stuff mixture into the casings.

MAKES ABOUT 3,5 KG

(More recipes to follow...) :rolleyes:

Boerewors

(bulk quantity)

40 kg beef

20 kg pork (not too lean)

1 kg speck

1 kg fine salt

500 whole coriander

25 ml freshly ground black pepper

25 ml ground cloves

25 ml grated nutmeg

1,1 l vinegar

1 kg casings

First prepare the coriander by scorching, grinding and sifting it. Cut the meat and spec into 50-mm cubes, spread on a clean working surface and sprinkle with remaining ingredients, except vinegar and casings. Mix together lightly, and then mince. Add vinegar, mix lightly, then loosely fill the casings with the mixture.

MAKES ABOUT 64 KG

Karoo Boerewors

500 g beef

500 g pork

1 kg mutton

1 ml ground coriander

1 ml ground cloves

14 g fine salt (15 ml)

2 ml freshly ground black pepper

250 g speck

15 ml sweet red wine

25 ml wine vinegar

15 ml brandy

60 g casings

Cut the meat into 50-mm cubes, sprinkle with the spices and seasonings and mince. Dice the speck into 3-mm cubes and sprinkle over meat. Combine red wine, vinegar and brandy and sprinkle over meat mixture. Mix lightly, then stuff loosely into casings

MAKES ABOUT 2,5 KG

Mutton Sausage

5 kg mutton

500 g sheep's tail fat (if mutton is lean)

30-55 g fine salt (25-50 ml)

10 ml freshly ground white pepper

10 g ground coriander (25 ml)

10 g allspice (20-25 ml)

150 ml white vinegar

400 ml Worcestershire sauce

90 g casings

Cut the meat and sheep's tail fat into 50-mm cubes. Mix all seasoning and spices together and add to meat. Mince the meat mixture, sprinkle with vinegar and Worcestershire sauce and mix lightly but thoroughly. Loosely stuff mixture into the casings. Mutton sausages can also be dried.

MAKES ABOUT 6 KG

Note: Traditionally mutton sausages are thin and, therefore, mutton casings should be used.

Pork Sausage

3 kg pork

30 g fine salt (25 ml)

5 ml freshly ground white pepper

2 ml ground cloves

15 ml whole coriander

2 ml grated nutmeg

150 ml vinegar

90 g casings

First prepare the coriander by scorching, grinding and sifting it. Cut meat into 50-mm cubes and combine with remaining ingredients, except vinegar and casings. Mince the meat, add vinegar and mix lightly but thoroughly. Loosely stuff the mixture into the casings then twist the casings to form sausages 10 cm in length.

MAKES 3 KG

Note: For a finer texture, mince the meat mixture twice.

PS: Barries, please post the notes on how to prepare the coriander (on page 11 of your recipe book.) Also, on how mutton sausages can be dried (on page 20 of your book.)

Thanks!

Thanks you wonderful people!

I hope others add more and more recipes too.

I will have a bash at the pork sausages today- a sort of trial run, most recipes call for mace and I just could not get it.

My folks will be flying from Cape Town on April 1st so I will ask them to bring the spices- are there any others I should ask them to bring?

Barries, I do hope someone can figure out how we can look at your entire book and it is very kind of you to share.

All of you guys are great!

I thought I would share a really good site Sausages of the world

Thing is there are thousands of recipes, that's why it is nicer to share tried and tested recipes.

The 3men site is also good, some droewors recipes if you are interested 3men sausages

Edited by AndreaL

Don't have any recipes... but I know that the best time to dry biltong and such here is in winter... otherwise it might go vrot !!

If you ever come into Mackay, Mackay Wholemeat in Canelands has a Saffer butcher !!! He makes Goudveld Boerewors !!! Delish !!!!

Heh, I just got the surprise of my lifetime.

I had mentioned this thread to our Aussie neighbour along with a complaint about the local "boerewors" lacking the right spices. So he just knocked on the door a few minutes ago and delivered the full sausage-making kit, including a mincer and a book called "Home Sausage Making"...

Now what?!?!?

• 12 years later...

So was looking for Eskort pork sausage recipe, came across this discussion, one fellow with good instructions on droewors and easy billing box I came across is on this YouTube ..

Still looking for the Eskort recipe:(