Regional NSW - Support Network

Good Witch

Hi to all South Africans living & working in Regional NSW. We live in the Riverina, very central, in Wagga Wagga.

Are any of you interested in starting / joining a Support Network for others, like us, who move here?

I am thinking of offering assistance with things like:

Baby-sitting young children while mom & dad go house-hunting or treat themselves to a well deserved romantic afternoon picnic to celebrate their arrival in Aus.

Ladies morning 'tea & tarot' parties where we can share tips on where to get the best value for money with household items etc.

Book clubs?

Movie-clubs?

Ummm... Lets-order-Pizza clubs..? :lol:

We could do things together like, gym, pilates, jogging, or not...

BBQ evenings where our hubby's can join forces and swap ideas, share experiences, and perhaps offer to help one another out with specialized jobs around the house (my hubby's an electrician, for example, and could perhaps offer to assist with small electrical jobs that need doing.) One of the ladies in Wagga's husband makes the most delicious biltong, now that's a good skill to bring to a Network!

Hobby classes?

I know that there are new families moving to regional NSW on a regular basis from South Africa, I also know that there are established families who have been here for some time. The motivation behind this incentive is to make newcomers feel welcome in Australia, also to meet and learn from the more established residents. I am certain that - between us - we will all have some skill, advice or assistance to offer those who need it, and I am almost certain that lasting friendships can and will be formed thru networking too.

There are many regional towns in the Riverina, Wagga is only one of several. I am pretty sure that if some of us decide to pool our resources, and offer much-needed help where and when it is needed, it can make a big difference to future (and current) families who have chosen to locate to regional NSW.

So, I invite you to join me... Let's do it!

These are some of the skills that I can contribute towards the Regional NSW Support Network (RNSN):

Occasional baby-sitting of young children

Shopping companion

Excellent tea-maker! (& Tealeaf reader!) ;)

Occasional 'Taxi'-driver (for those of you stuck without wheels!)

Salad-maker (for the BBQ's!)

Excellent listener (for the blue days) :(

Reiki Master Practitioner (if I still remember how!) for the not-feeling-so-good days

& Guided Meditations, (for when we have run out of tea... :P )

I collect new arrivals at the airport?

I could make my laundry-room available to those still waiting for their container (washing machine) to arrive

I will design and distribute a regular RNSN newsletter, which we will send to everyone who joins the Network. This can be used to 'advertise' events, services and skills... (like the ones mentioned above,) and it may serve as a life-line to those who arrive with nothing and nobody to turn to for advice or friendship!

etc, etc, etc...

Seriously, let's do this. Who's joining me..? :whome:

Cheers

Andi

Dear Andi

That is a fantastic idea, may you be an inspiration to others.

I am sure you will have a good responses.

Good luck.

Regards

Enrica

Dear Andi

That is a fantastic idea, may you be an inspiration to others.

I am sure you will have a good responses.

Good luck.

Regards

Enrica

HI Enrica,

I hope that others in Regional NSW are inspired to get involved in something like this. It could be a great community project. But, we'll soon see whether there is any interest or not...

Thanks for the support!

Cheers

Andi

Andi

I love the idea!! :ilikeit: , just not yet sure where we are going to land up.

Andi

I love the idea!! :lol: , just not yet sure where we are going to land up.

Great! I will PM you for your email address details etc, so that I can add you to our mailing list for the newsletter. I also think it's a good idea, if I have to say so myself, and discussed this with one of the forumites who arrived in Wagga 2 weeks ago. She is also very keen! She has two young children (too gorgeous for words!) and confirmed that there are very real needs that a support network of this nature could fill.

C'mon Saffers in and around Wagga... Please contact me, even if only to join the mailing list for now, I cannot do this alone...

Hugz

Andi

Keeping this thread alive...

Would Saffers in Regional NSW please contact me by email: aussie.graf@gmail.com so that I can add you to a mailing list for the newsletter that we are planning for the Support Network.

Thanks!

PS: Brenda, I sent you a PM!

Cheers

Andi

Keeping the thread alive...

Anyone interested..?

• 6 months later...

Hi there, I haven't been on the forum in ages. How is this support system coming along? Are you still looking for more people to get involved?

Hi Navigator..

I dont think so, I speak under correction, am not sure - but Good Witch has been taken off the forum..so perhaps she is still doing this in her own time in Wagga but have had no word from her for a while.

Perhaps you can look her up - She is Andi Gunther, and I am sure that Wagga Wagga cannot be that big, some one is bound to know her and am sure she will be keen to help.

regards

Brenda