Am I too old for this?

propwash

Hi Everybody,

My name is Hannes and my wife Carol and I have been discussing moving to Australia recently. I have had a look at the various options on the Australian Immigration web site and it seems that my age (47) counts severely against me. I would otherwise have been able to try the "Skilled Worker" route. How big an issue is age in this regard? Are there other ways to do this or should I just give it up for a bad job and move on?

Any help would be appreciated!

Hannes & Carol

There was a recent conversation on this forum about this topic, but I can't seem to find it. Maybe someone can post the link here for you. I know there are ways you can do it, but I'm sorry to say I don't have the knowledge to assist you.

Hi Propwash

Sorry, I am not sure of the link that Riekie mentioned but I think the only way you would get into Australia is on a business visa.

Ever thought of New Zealand, I know they accept you till the age of 55.

Good Luck

Mara

Propwash

Have a look at Kiwiboer his words are very colourful, but he has some interesting things to say about NZ. Maybe he could give you some insight regarding NZ.

Hi Everybody,

My name is Hannes and my wife Carol and I have been discussing moving to Australia recently. I have had a look at the various options on the Australian Immigration web site and it seems that my age (47) counts severely against me. I would otherwise have been able to try the "Skilled Worker" route. How big an issue is age in this regard? Are there other ways to do this or should I just give it up for a bad job and move on?

Any help would be appreciated!

Hannes & Carol

hi

Ons is nou 6 maande hier in Aussie, my man is 47 het het oorgekom as skilled worker - was nie 'n te groot probleem nie hang van die werk af

hi

Ons is nou 6 maande hier in Aussie, my man is 47 het het oorgekom as skilled worker - was nie 'n te groot probleem nie hang van die werk af

hi

hi

For skilled migration (of any form) 45 years is an absolute deadline as a time of application criterion. There are potentially many alternative visa options, but each applicant must be assessed on his/ her onw merits. Obviously factors like Australian citizen family etc could be very important.

Etienne Hugo

Hi Everybody!

Many thanks for all the replies! It seems that all is not lost and we will continue to investigate ways to get to

Australia. We will certainly also look at NZ. Does anybody know of a similar web site to this one for NZ.

Many thanks once again!

Hannes

Hi Propwash,

We looked at relocating to NZ, and found the site: move2nz very helpful. Needless to say that fell through, and here we are in Aus!

Greetings,

Dreamy

Try the Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme (857 Visa)- (for country / regional areas). The general rule is 45 years but there are exemptions on health / Age / Language:

Age exemptions

Exceptional circumstances for age might be considered in the following cases.

Age Exceptional circumstances

Over 45 but under 50 years old the position is essential to the operation of the business

and

the employer demonstrates that it is not possible to find a suitably qualified person younger than the applicant.

If you have the right qualifications where there is a serious skills need and employer willing to sponsor the visa then you may be successful. For example: In my regional area there is at least two Engineers who are older than 45 and have been successful with Residency.

Riaan

Hello

My dad is almost 55 but is has a doctoral in education. I’ve heard that especially in the case of academics age could be exempted. Is this only in the rural areas or anywhere that an employer will sponsor?

Could anyone provide any information on how to go about finding a willing sponsor?

We will do the “send CV to all Post doctoral jobs advertise” thing, but I have a feeling that in these circumstances you actually need to “know” people. Does anyone “know” someone he could talk to? This doesn’t necessarily need to be for PR. If he could work there for a year or two it would be great.

Proppie,

folks here seem to want to push your boat out to New Zealand, but I've heard there's a real shortage of skilled workers in "regional" Australia.

What line of work are you in, mate?

Friends I was speaking to last weekend have just been up the top end of Western Australia and were thrown jobs at them at a local Aboriginal community. . . . not that I'm suggesting that . . . . but mines and country towns throughout the Outback are desperate for workers.

You just have to go bush for a while to get the picture.

I've been told that Kununarra in W.A. has no unemployment and if you can get out of bed in the morning, then you have a job!

Think about what Riaan ("Rison") has suggested and approach the Australian gov't stating that you're interested in working in the country.

I was up in a place in South Australia called Roxby Downs a couple of weeks back and the town is brand new and has some nice facilites in it .. . new swimming pool, library, shops, etc. and wouldn't be a bad spot for some for a while, especially if you are a "tradie" (tradesman). Wages were $110,000+ (R600,000) a year.

Give it a go, mate . . . . . you never know .. . . . you might get to like Australia and its people!

Proppie,

folks here seem to want to push your boat out to New Zealand, but I've heard there's a real shortage of skilled workers in "regional" Australia.

What line of work are you in, mate?

Friends I was speaking to last weekend have just been up the top end of Western Australia and were thrown jobs at them at a local Aboriginal community. . . . not that I'm suggesting that . . . . but mines and country towns throughout the Outback are desperate for workers.

You just have to go bush for a while to get the picture.

I've been told that Kununarra in W.A. has no unemployment and if you can get out of bed in the morning, then you have a job!

Think about what Riaan ("Rison") has suggested and approach the Australian gov't stating that you're interested in working in the country.

I was up in a place in South Australia called Roxby Downs a couple of weeks back and the town is brand new and has some nice facilites in it .. . new swimming pool, library, shops, etc. and wouldn't be a bad spot for some for a while, especially if you are a "tradie" (tradesman). Wages were $110,000+ (R600,000) a year.

Give it a go, mate . . . . . you never know .. . . . you might get to like Australia and its people!

Hi Bob,

I'm in IT and more specifically in business consulting. I implement ERP software systems, so I need to go to a place where there are a lot of companies requiring my skills, typically large cities...

Thanks for your help!

Hannes