IELTS QUESTION

Leana

Hi everybody

I read somewhere on the forum that the IELTS tests are only valid for 1 year? Somebody answered that they read on the Brittish Council's website that it is valid for 2 years but I cannot find that info. I am very worried because when we lodged our PR 136 app our tests were 14 months old?

Leana

Hi Leana

As I understand it, your IELTS are valid for 2 years but you have to lodge your application with in the first year of when the IELTS where issued. With that in mind they are only valid for a year and not really two :ilikeit: (confusing).

Hope that helps

Cheers

Rudi

Hi there Rudi/Leana,

How do you know if you have to submit IELTS results? In other words, is this a standard part of the 136 Visa Application?

Or must I wait until they request this information?

Any help will be great.

Thanks,

Brad

Brad

The IELTS results must be submitted with the 136 application. There is a checklist of everything that is needed. They let you know when to go for medicals and police clearance.

Leana

Hi Leana

As I understand it, your IELTS are valid for 2 years but you have to lodge your application with in the first year of when the IELTS where issued. With that in mind they are only valid for a year and not really two :ilikeit: (confusing).

Hope that helps

Cheers

Rudi

Hi Naudis,

How do you know if you have to submit IELTS results?

Also have a look at English Requirements

All applicants who are not native born English speakers must submit results from an International English Language Testing System test undertaken within 12 months of lodging their visa application as evidence of their English language ability.

A native born English language speaker is a person whose first spoken language is English and who is the holder of a passport of one of the following countries:

• United Kingdom (UK)

• Canada

• New Zealand

• United States of America (USA)

• Republic of Ireland

I am sure that you can submit you IELTS results with the rest of you application forms.

Good luck!

Pippa

Is it crucial to submit IELTS results with your 136 application or can it follow a month or so later when ready. The problem: I've got my skills assesment and everything else ready, but forgot to book IELTS in time ... so now the first available date is only 24 FEBRUARY 2007!!!!!

Now what!?

Is it crucial to submit IELTS results with your 136 application or can it follow a month or so later when ready. The problem: I've got my skills assesment and everything else ready, but forgot to book IELTS in time ... so now the first available date is only 24 FEBRUARY 2007!!!!!

Now what!?

As I understand it technically you don't HAVE to submit everything up front, but they must have it when they start processing. Since most applications lie around for a few months after they acknowledge receipt chances are you can get the IELTS results there before they start processing your application. If you are in a big hurry then lodge the application so long and sent the IELTS when you receive it. Them not having the paperwork only delays your application until you can get the paperwork there, so you can't be worse off. According to the DIMA website you can even lodge an application on the Internet and then send the paperwork. These types of applications also apparently have a shorter processing time (I guess because the file is opened automatically and your personal details are captured by you so it saves them time). Click here to read about e-visas.

Jaco

Hi there Rudi/Leana,

How do you know if you have to submit IELTS results? In other words, is this a standard part of the 136 Visa Application?

Or must I wait until they request this information?

Any help will be great.

Thanks,

Brad

Brad - Have a look at http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/general-ski...ity-english.htm that details the english language requirements for a 136 visa. I have pasted the relevant section below for reference:

All applicants who are not native born English speakers must submit results from an International English Language Testing System test undertaken within 12 months of lodging their visa application as evidence of their English language ability.

A native born English language speaker is a person whose first spoken language is English and who is the holder of a passport of one of the following countries:

* United Kingdom (UK)

* Canada

* New Zealand

* United States of America (USA)

* Republic of Ireland.

Important: If there is any doubt about your English language ability, despite the evidence you may submit with your application, your case officer may ask you to undertake an International English Language Testing System test. Any waiver of the test is at the discretion of your case officer.

Now what!?

Linda - You can submit your application without the IELTS. The only reason that it is suggested that you submit it at the beginning is that you are claiming points that depend on the IELTS results, If you don't manage to get the results you expect you may then be short on points which would cause your application to be rejected.

Hope some of the info helps.

Cheers,

Paula

Edited by alsgal

Hi Everyone,

I've just found out I have to do the IELTS test.

I'm a native English born, speaking, trained and teaching-in-English person.... :ilikeit:

Can anyone give me an idea of how difficult the test is?

I'm suddenly worried!

And yes, dates and venues seem to fill up VERY quickly. I may be lucky to have one available in Durban on the 13th January - if not then the 20th.

It delays all my plans by another 2-3 months.

Any help will be appreciaited!

Thanks!

Tracy

Hi Tracy

To put your mind to rest... I am Afrikaans speaking, schooled in Afrikaans and studied in English I live in Pretoria ans my home language is Afrikaans and I found the IELTS really easy. So you have nothing to worry about.

Hope that sums it up for you

Cheers

Rudi

Hi Tracy,

I believe the IELTS General Training dates are fully booked for 2006. ;) My sister, whose first language is Afrikaans booked herself for the IELTS Academic Training, as she was not prepared to wait for the next IELTS General Training dates. She managed to obtain an Overall Score of 8/9 for the IELTS Academic Training. :ilikeit:

I, on the other hand, really worried about my results, as I am also Afrikaans, but managed to score 7.5/9, but bear in mind that this was IELTS General Training. I still don’t know how I passed it, as it was not the easiest test for me! B)

For a native-english speaker, I am convinced that you would do fine and don’t stress too much about it!

Good luck!

Pippa

Thanks Pippa and Rudi!

I feel a bit better about it now.

I have been booked in for the 13th January.

But hell it's expensive!! R1610.....

Tracy