457 Questions

anchen

Hello!

I’ve been reading these posts for a while, gathering information, and debating the big move. At last we’ve decided to go for it. So I need to start asking some questions :)

We want to go over on a 457. I know that it’s been discussed before but I can’t seem to find the information that I want.

Our details: Husband is an electrician; I am a C# .Net programmer. I would prefer it if my husband gets the sponsorship, because we have a 2 year old daughter and I will need some time settling in and finding proper child care.

I need to know if his trade (or my degree) needs to be assessed/accredited before we can apply for sponsorship. Also do we need to do the IELTS tests now or only if we apply for PR? My sister and brother in law went over on 457 without doing any tests, but I think her situation is different because she worked for a SA company that opened offices in Sydney. We really dread the English tests because our English is not super strong. Mine are a bit better so if we have to do the test maybe I should rather apply??? :)

Hi Anchen

Not really an expert, but since we will relocating on a 457 let me share some details. I am also a tradesman, (albeit not practising, in management these days :ilikeit: ) and therefore I would imagine that your husband would have to apply to the Trades Recognition Australia (workplace.gov.au) for his trade to be assessed. You'll possibly have to apply to the Australian Computer Society (acs.org.au) and if I am not mistaken one needs to have skills assessed before one can apply for sponsorship. (To the experts out there, please correct me if I'm providing the wrong info. :ilikeit: )

On the IELTS, both the wife and myself were requested to complete the tests. So not really sure whether you both will have to or not. What I can tell you, is that if one prepares beforehand (I suggest you loan/ purchase the specimen pack), then one should really not sukkel! :ilikeit:

KInd Regards

Hi Anchen,

I posted this link for someone else yesterday, it has some interesting info for Electricians, as well as a very handy 457 checklist on their site. You do not need to go for the language test on 457, and by the time you apply for PR, you will have had plenty of practise, and your English should be just right ;) so don't worry about that.

Good luck!

Greetings,

Dreamy

Hello

Thanks so much for the info both of you. :hug:

Carlos it seems that the IELTS test is not compulsory for the 457 so I’m really interested in why they requested you to do it. Do you maybe have special circumstances?

Have you applied for the accreditation yet, and if so, how long did it take to come through?

Thanks again

Anchen

:ilikeit:

Hi Anchen

My husband just had his skills assessed and it took a little over a month... they told him that it can take from as little as 10 days to about 6 weeks max... we are currently on a 457 visa and he had his skills assessed to apply for the permanent visa (i am not sure of which one that is) which his employer is goinog to be doing for him. They are awaiting the appointment of a case officer to get that started.

I think the skills assessment cost us about $300 and my husband did a VERY detailed one of about 30 pages. A full CV, job references of SA companies and certified copies of his qualifications and references.

Good luck, hope that helped... as for the IELTS, my husband can have his waivered as his boss here can vouch for him apparently, but it seems that i will still have to do it... great it sux!!! But hey, its a small price to pay!!!