Wonder Koek

Mara

OK folks, roll up, here is the recipe some of you asked for. It is called in Afrikaans "Wonder Koek", don't ask me why, I have no idea, but in English I am sure it is a case of I wonder why I eat so much of it, cake!

Ingredients

250gr butter (1 cup) (do not try to substitute, it must be genuine butter)

250gr sugar (1 cup)

2 eggs

2 packets Marie biscuits broken into small pieces. (place in plastic bag and run rolling pin over them)

250 gr pitted dates

125gr walnuts chopped

1 teaspoon vanilla essence

1 tablespoon cocoa powder

1. Chop up all the dates, and set aside. This can be a big job as most blenders will do nothing to them, they are too tough. If you have one of those square bladed meat choppers that is relatively sharp, I find them to be the best on a timber chopping board.

2. Melt butter and sugar in a large pot, until sugar has completely melted. (pot has to be really large as you are going to add all the ingredients to this mixture eventually)

3. Beat eggs and add slowly to the butter and sugar mixture, stirring furiously! Add egg mixture real slowly, otherwise the eggs will cook and become separate little blobs.

4. Add the dates, cocoa and walnuts, cook until the mixture thickens, add vanilla essence.

5. Add Marie biscuits, mix well.

6. Press into a greased glass dish and place in the fridge to set. Do not use non stick cookware as you will damage it with the knife when you try to cut the set tart.

7. After about an hour, take a sharp knife, lots of muscle power and cut into squares.

Enjoy, it is pretty good!

Thanks Mara, sounds yummy.

Every time I read "wonder koek" I giggle....it so funny. Sounds like some kind of super hero.....hie hie....but it looks yummy. Thanks.

1. Chop up all the dates, and set aside. This can be a big job as most blenders will do nothing to them, they are too tough. If you have one of those square bladed meat choppers that is relatively sharp, I find them to be the best on a timber chopping board.

Edited by Alida

Thanks for that Alida, I am definitely going to give it a try next time I make the 'wonder' koek!