Madeira Seafood Restaurant & Steak House

Sam

Hi there fellow Melbournites

A new restaurant opened in Bay street, Brighton owned by newly arrived Portugese South Africans. The menu looks fabulous with items like espetadas, chicken livers peri peri, sticky date pud, don pedro kahlua, steak, kangaroo, risotto's and salads.

The restaurant is close to the station and easy to find. Lunch between 12:00 - 15:00 :blush:

Cheers

Edited by Sam

This is a joke... (so I hope you take in that light)

Old South African saying...

When the Jews leave a country; it is time to leave...

When the Portuguese start leaving; it is too late...

Will definitely come and try in April 09...

joefromsa (should start working on changing my name)

I wished there was a portuguese restaurant in Cairns. Boa Comida bons amigos...

Diveup

I wish I knew how to make the secret trinchado sauce of the Diaz Tavern in Cape Town. Tried soooo many times to bribe a waiter into telling me, but nothing came of it. No other Portuguese restaurant in SA matched them.

I have a fantastic trinchado recipe, made it last night.

15ml olive oil

900g beef, cubed(rump steak)

2 larged onoins, chopped

3 red chillies, chopped

4 garlic cloves, crushed

250ml beef stock

375ml red wine

2 bay leaves

100g stoned black olives

fresh or dried rosemary

125ml cream

salt and frehly ground pepper to taste

finely grated lemon peel

Method

Heat oil and brown beef.

Remove from the pan and set aside

Reduce the heat and saute the onions and chillies and garlic until tender

Add the stock and wine

Bring to boil, stir occasionaly

Add the bay leaves, olives and rosemary

Return the beef cubes to the pan and simmer slowly for 2 hours or until meat is tender

Add the cream and stir through

Season with salt and ground pepper and fresh lemon peel

Serves 4 It is delicious!

I wish I knew how to make the secret trinchado sauce of the Diaz Tavern in Cape Town. Tried soooo many times to bribe a waiter into telling me, but nothing came of it. No other Portuguese restaurant in SA matched them.

Please ask the owner if he has an uncle/brother/cousin -whatever- who can come and open up a portuguese restaurant on the Gold Coast. We have Nando's. Thats it.

The closest Portuguese Restaurant is in Brisbane somewhere.

I used to go to Lisbon once per year on business trips and was terribly disappointed by the food there (mostly fish, no chilies, chicken definitely not spicy). When talking to the locals about my "South African Portuguese" culinary experiences most said that what I appear to be describing is Madeiran, or possibly a fusion of Mozambican and Madeiran cousine. Madeira is an island off the coast of Portugal, which for some reason has contributed highly to the Portuguese expatriate population.

Anyway, I can highly recommend Michelle Therese's recipe! Here is the mise en place: http://picasaweb.google.com.au/lh/photo/eT...feat=directlink

Well, hubby and I are going to check out that new Madeira restaurant in Melbourne, on Saturday evening, will let you know what we think!

We went, we saw, we ate! Can absolutely recommend it, Maria and Luis are wonderful people, I am sure you will enjoy it!

Come and visit Queensland Girl, I promise faithfully to take you there for dinner!