Free flu jabs for kids in WA - open to non-citizens?

ronfire

Just wanted to find out if anyone in WA can help me on this.

We're on a 457 - would my son (4) be eligible to get one of these free flu shots? Or do we need to be permanent residents or Aus citizens?

email Medicare: medicare (@) medicareaustralia.gov.au

and ask them.

We're on a 457 - would my son (4) be eligible to get one of these free flu shots? Or do we need to be permanent residents or Aus citizens?

Wow wish we could get this in South Africa. We have deceided to take the Flu vaccine this year since we will be travelling and that really puts the body at risk. Also will be arriving in Canberra in Winter(probably) at that's thats the worst time ( June-August)

At least it only works out at about 50 -60 rand a person. Worth it for the benifit. Youngest son is Asthmatic so really a must for him even if we were staying in SA.

I am sure the vaccination will be for everyone, irrespective of visa status. Otherwise the "temp"-kids will be the only sick ones!

I was very surprised when my daughter came home saying that she would be receiving a vaccination against cervical cancer, apparently all the first year high school girls get the injection. Am just waiting for the consent form to come home for signature.

Very proactive here!

I am sure the vaccination will be for everyone, irrespective of visa status. Otherwise the "temp"-kids will be the only sick ones!

I was very surprised when my daughter came home saying that she would be receiving a vaccination against cervical cancer, apparently all the first year high school girls get the injection. Am just waiting for the consent form to come home for signature.

Very proactive here!

You r lucky there. the vaccine in South Africa costs about R700 and you need 3 of them!!!

I heard on the news that all woman qualify for this if free injection but you must start the 3 injection course prior to 30th June 2009. thereafter it is going to be charged for. I am Speaking about the cervical cancer one.

Edited by Jordy

As far as I know, you must be on medicare to obtain the free treatment for the kids. We are on medicare and I don't pay for any dr consultations or vaccinations for both kids. I have to show my medicare card for this and that is why I say that it is only if you have medicare. Medicare covers expenses for children under 16. The doctor's bill to medicare so it is not really free. Feel free to correct me if I am wrong but this is how I understand it.

Just found out that our neighbour's daughter received the vaccination FREE last year, they are on a 457, so the visa is not the deciding factor at all.

We were told that all girls at all state schools will receive the vaccination, not sure about how the other schools will be processed.

The HPV program is part of the school based immunisation program and therefore has nothing to do with visa type HPV

Here is the school based vaccination program for Queensland schools Queensland school vaccinations other states can access their program via the relevant health portal.

Link to the childhood immunisation register and government health portals ACIR

Contact you nearest Health Clinic. They will tell you where to go and if it is also free for your son. They are very helpfull. We are on a 457 Visa and my baby gets all her needles (immunisations) and check ups for free.

Our kids got flu vac for free (but we are on PR)....BUT as adults, the flu vac cost us $140 for two! Much cheaper in SA! MUCH, much cheaper! Maybe we can claim some of it back from Medicare, but I think only $20.....

$140 for two adults???? Are they charging for the extra distance that the flu vaccine has to travel through an adult's bloodstream?????

No

457 do not get free flujabs unfortunately.If you are not eligible for medicare you have to have a script and get it youself.You then go to your GP and he will administer it

Hope this helps