advice

Frenchie

Hi all

I just needed some urgent advice. If you get sponsored, does an Electrician still need to have his qualifications assessed? Is a salary of $42 000 PER ANNUM liveable for a family of four? Does anybody have some info on Bowen Hills and Forest Lake in Brisbane? Like the prices of houses, schools, food etc in those areas?

Any comments and advice will be extremely appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Frenchie

Hi Frenchie

You can look at homes to buy and to rent on the following website http://www.realestate.com.au/

$42,000pa = $807.69per week less $167 tax leaves $640 disposable income per week. You ask if this is liveable for a family of four. You would be paying around $25 per week for gas and $25 for electricity, that leaves you with $590 per week. You can rent a house in the areas you mentioned for around $270, that then leaves you with $320. If you come on a 457, you will have to take out medical insurance, which, I think could cost you around $100 per week. So you would be left with $220, out of which you have to eat, clothe everybody and pay for the running costs of a vehicle and/or public transport as well as any other incidentals like life and contents insurance, water, entertainment etc.

I have no idea about schools and what you would have to pay there.

From the above it would appear that it would be a very tight squeeze to come out on $42,000 per year, but I do not know your circumstances and what you are capable of. You asked a question, I have just answered it as truthfully as possible.

I cannot help you with the assessment, perhaps somebody else can answer that for you.

Mara

Hi Frenchie,

This salary looks a bit thin, to tell you the truth. Are there any extras to that? Like housing or car allowances, or will the company be paying for your medical fund? Some companies do that. With that salary, they should offer you some sort of help, in my opinion. Unless you plan to bring in a second income, which should then tide you over.

I tried looking on the web for you, and I found this company, they have a very informative website for people in the engineering or electrical trades. Have a look. At the bottom of the page they have a very handy list of everything you need to be able to apply for a 457 visa.

Greetings,

Dreamy

Hi Frenchie

I dont want to be a partypooper, but a salary of $42 000 per annum, for four people, with no government assistance, is low.

In country areas you would be ok on about $60,000. You will need suplementary income on $42,000. I suggest you find a sponsor that is willing to offer more. There is a huge demand for the Trades.

Riaan