Major City Roadmaps

Springbok

Can anyone perhaps recommend a nice roadmap book, covering the CBD and also the Hills area?

I found this - Sydney City Map, but not sure if it would meet my needs for getting around.

I'd like to order such a book, so recommendations and references to an online bookstore are welcome!

Thanks

Charl

Springbok, there is only one book worth buying as far as I am concerned and it is called a Sydway, and you can buy it at the following website.

http://www.ausway.com/ausway.html

Great stuff, I see the books costs $40 each, but they charge $50 for international shipping!! :ilikeit: What a rip-off...

I'll ask my cousin to buy it for me and to bring along when they visit S.A. for Christmas.

Guest Sunshine Sister

Hi Springbok,

I have a UBD and use it all the time. At school, on advertisements and just in general here in Sydney ppl refer to the UBD to direct you to where they are - (e.g. ppl will say "We are on Victoria Rd - UBD 254 - G19" and expect of you to find it) in that sense I have found the UBD a much better book than any other. If you buy a UBD at the airport or in the city it costs $40- $45 while Target and KMart sell it at around $30 out here in the Hills. If you want a map of a specific area, I can copy it for you from the UBD and post it to you if you want, until you can buy the book upon arrival ? I think postage will probably be too much to send the book to you. Also if you arrive and rent a car, you can rent a UBD book at $1 per day from the car rentals company. We did this until we had time to buy our own.

Love

SS

:)

I'll echo what Mara had to say about Ausways. They lose UBD. What I find absolutely irritating with UBD is that they take so long to correct their mistakes and update new developments.

In fact, in my personal experience, last year's Brisways is more up to date than this year's UBD. I lived in Melbourne for about 11 years and used to update my Melways every year. The current Melways was always about 2 to 3 years more up-to-date than the equivalent UBD directory.

If you are anywhere near Melbourne, Sydney or Brisbane, don't waste your time with UBD. Get an Ausways directory.

Mara, I agree with you. - What really irritated me about UBD is that they are always out of date. Ausways do their home work and show proposed roads as "under construction". At least you have an idea where the new roads are going.

UBD don't even bother! :ilikeit: And, in my experience, they are inaccurate to boot! For the whole time I lived in Melbourne, UBD had my house in the wrong suburb. So wrong postal address if you used the UBD. Right postal address if you used Melways.

They cost similar prices. - So why bother with UBD?

Guest Sunshine Sister

So there you have it Springbok,

Another great example of how only one point of view is tolerated on this forum ! Should your opinion deviate from the norm - :ilikeit: heaven forbid !! - be prepared to listen to those who share opinions pat each other on the back over and over again. Alternatively you can just keep quiet as most other forumites do these days (especially when they have an alternative point of view) and save yourself the effort of making a contribution altogether. What was I thinking, publicly admitting to finding the UBD useful in my every day life here in Sydney !! :ilikeit:

Love

SS

:ilikeit:

I have personally always used the UBD, found it to really useful. I have never had a problem with it. All of us have a copy we just leave it in the car. In Sydney I have found people usually refer to the UBD. You can buy it at Dymocks or at any of the service/petrol stations even at the newsagent.

Hey SS, don't take it that other views are not tolerated. :ilikeit: Both sides have put their cases and now the people can make up their own minds.

BTW The reason that I feel so strongly about this is that when I first arrived in Melbourne, I bought a brand new UBD directory. It didn't contain information on some of the newer estates. A colleague of mine commented "You bloody idiot! You should have bought a Melways!" So I did!.... My colleague was right. And I kept updating it every year.

When I moved to the Sunshine Coast earlier this year, I bought the first street directory that I could find. - A brand new UBD "Refidex"! - Big Mistake! :ilikeit: Among other inaccuracies, it didn't contain details of a major arterial road which had been open for 18 months. One afternoon, I wandered into a bookstore and spotted a copy of last year's Brisway. I opened it up for a look...... All the roads I was looking for were there. That now lives on the back seat of my car.:ilikeit:

In Melbourne, I used to work for a company that had a sub-branch in Sydney. My experiences with UBD and Sydways echoed those in Melbourne and Brisbane.

I reckon that I was "ripped off" by UBD. :blush: OK, the second time I was just plain stupid! ;)

Edited by Larry

Guest Sunshine Sister
Hey SS, don't take it that other views are not tolerated. :) Both sides have put their cases and now the people can make up their own minds.

In Melbourne, I used to work for a company that had a sub-branch in Sydney. My experiences with UBD and Sydways echoed those in Melbourne and Brisbane.

I reckon that I was "ripped off" by UBD. ;) OK, the second time I was just plain stupid! :D

Hi there,

Thanks sonnetjie for your input.

Hi Larry,

Thanks for your kind response. You are right, ppl can now make up their own minds. Reading your explanation I can completely understand your frustration ! Oh man, why do we do it to ourselves. I am the same with buying bananas for the kids. :lol::P I buy a couple because they are so enthusiastic while we are at Woolies, they both have one at home (after convincing me it is their favourite, favourite...) and the rest end up rotting in the fruit bowl. ;)

I have had excellent luck thus far with everything I have needed being in the UBD, so I have had no reasons to complain. I also live in a brand new area, ppl tell me it was veld around here 18 months ago :o and surprizingly enough the whole area is in the UBD. Hehehehe, maybe I accidentally bought the 2008/9 version without knowing it. ;):D

Thanks for being kind, in the end you and I both agree we have given good advice to the folks still on their way.

Love

SS

:)

Hi SS,

Thanks for your reply. ;)

Street directories are so important to somebody new to a city or town. - Maybe we should start a thread where people can tell about their experiences with the various street directories available for their town / city.

We could then build up a list of suggested street directories like:-

Sydney:- UBD with Sydway as a second choice.

Melbourne:- Melway and don't bother with anything else.

Brisbane:- Brisway with UBD as a second choice.

Adelaide:- UBD (?)

Perth:- UBD (?)

Has anybody used a "Gregorys" street directory? I bought a compact Gregorys for my last trip to Sydney. - I didn't want to be lugging around a Sydways wherever I went. - I found it to be a bit "agricultural", but it had everything I needed.

Cheers for now

Larry

Guest Sunshine Sister

Hey there,

Excellent idea ! Maybe we could ask Springbok if he would mind surrendering his thread for the greater good, and then just get one of the Moderators to change the title of this thread. There is so much info here already, now just to add some input from Perth/Cairns/Adelaide/Hobart/Auckland or other areas where members way have helpful hints.

Enjoy your Sunday.

Love

SS

;)

Guest Bronwyn

I ordered a Fullers Directory for Adelaide from a bookshop in the City. Waited a full 6 weeks for it to get to South Africa after paying, :lol: but, wow, what a great help in our search for information.

We refer to it almost every day when looking on RealEsatate.co.au, etc.

Haven't actually tried it out in Adelaide yet, so who know's whether anything is missing? :blink:

Edited by Bronwyn

Maybe we could ask Springbok if he would mind surrendering his thread for the greater good, and then just get one of the Moderators to change the title of this thread.

I don't mind at all, good idea!