136 Visa

2OZweGO

My wife is a CA and I am an attorney. We are taking the first steps for the BIG MOVE [we are considering NSW (Sydney) ]and I would appreciate if someone can give me some pointers on the following (we are still unfamiliar with all the different Visas).

As I understand, it is advisable for me to first write (and pass) the Australian legal conversion exams prior to applying for a VISA as I can immediately apply for the permanent Skilled 136 Visa. However, my wife seems to fall under the Migration Occupations in Demand List (as an Accountant) :ilikeit: . In order to expedite the application (rather than wait a year for the completion of my conversion exams) I assume it would be better that my wife applies as the main applicant under the 136 Visa. That would mean that while the Visa application is being processed I can complete my conversation exams.

For interest, is it possible to convert another type Visa application to a 136 Visa?

Jacques

Hi Jacques

If your wife is a qualified SA CA and a degree then she will definitely pass the assessment with ICAA and then you can apply for PR visa. Will be much easier and faster.

Cheers

Hi Jacques

Have just sent you a PM message.

Best would be for your wife to apply for 136 (Skilled Independent) visa on her CA skills - you're 100% right - she indeed is on the MODL, which is fantastic. :ilikeit:

The quicker route would be to get a work permit (457 visa) - your wife is very likely to get this if she applies to Oz companies as a CA. It will mean that you guys can go quicker (even though the 457 is a temporary visa). Once in Oz, you will then be able to do your legal conversion exams in Oz, and you can immediately start with PR application for 136 on your wife's occupation.

However, to go with PR visa from the word go is probably the best and safest - you get all Oz benefits like medical etc. and you can work anywhere, for anyone - no restrictions. Visit www.immi.gov.au and look at all the different visas - specifically 457 and 136 in your case, compare and decide what's best for you!

:ilikeit:

Edited by kangaroo